Former Bruins Noel Acciari (He’s a Panther 3 years, $1.7M/yr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Part of it is that he seems to be much more effective as a center and is pretty pedestrian at wing. Kind of surprising.

I was at the game and he was all over the ice.

That is interesting, and it tells me NA "thinks the game" like a center, which, with apologies to the offended, is a more cerebral position than wing. Goaltending, D & center require a kind of DNA wingers need not bother with.

Center demands a clear command of what's happening on the ice, anticipation, intelligence. Defense necessitats the same, which is why it take a while for defensmen to mature. Goaltending, like pitching, is another matter entirely.

I've always favored players like Bergeron and Chara. They don't have flashy numbers, but they do everything right across three zones.

Not necessarily a Rask fan, but the same applies. All of those seemingly unspectacular saves with few rebounds are the result of supremely economical, positional excellence. At his best, Rask makes it look easy. Most great D do, too.

The same goes, in a weird way, for D#46. I've been down on him in the past for seeming disinterest, salary, injuries. I thought him something of a prima donna. Great credit this season in dealing with a revolving door on both sides while having a typically under the radar, productive year. I still dislike his contract, etc., but am glad to be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Waiting to see how he does in the playoffs. If he plays well he might price him self out of Boston

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Waiting to see how he does in the playoffs. If he plays well he might price him self out of Boston

The non-signings of guys like Schaller and Riley Nash tells me the team will make a value-based decision. If Acciari's market value is too high for what a comparable replacement could bring, they wish him the best and move on.

That kind of decision-making is critical today. Avoid the folly of overpaying bottom six guys that can be replaced with cheaper players. Sometimes you'll get burned when the replacement falls short (3C this year), but generally this practice will net positive for long term success.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Think he will price himself out of Boston either way - he’d be really attractive to teams looking for a reliable physical presence on their 4th line, + a good faceoff guy and a good work ethic role model for kids coming up.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The non-signings of guys like Schaller and Riley Nash tells me the team will make a value-based decision. If Acciari's market value is too high for what a comparable replacement could bring, they wish him the best and move on.

That kind of decision-making is critical today. Avoid the folly of overpaying bottom six guys that can be replaced with cheaper players. Sometimes you'll get burned when the replacement falls short (3C this year), but generally this practice will net positive for long term success.

what do you define as too high?

If he receives a similar contract as Wagner/Kuraly

that is ok

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Any word on how Noel is doing? He took such a severe beating last night that I have to wonder if he's ok.

Good for him being willing, but I sure hope someone teaches him to fight before his career is in jeopardy. That was brutal and tough to watch.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Any word on how Noel is doing? He took such a severe beating last night that I have to wonder if he's ok.

Good for him being willing, but I sure hope someone teaches him to fight before his career is in jeopardy. That was brutal and tough to watch.

Wasn’t NA best fight that’s for sure.

Witkowski skated away from the fight at first then decided to drop em after getting his distance which helped him get a bit of a jump on NA.

He got the best of Weegar a couple of weeks ago. :nod:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Wasn’t NA best fight that’s for sure.

Witkowski skated away from the fight at first then decided to drop em after getting his distance which helped him get a bit of a jump on NA.

He got the best of Weegar a couple of weeks ago. :nod:
I'm not sure how Witkoski "got the jump" on him seeing as Acciari chased him with his gloves off before Witkowski even knew there was going to be a fight. He had much better luck vs the non-fighter Weegar.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm not sure how Witkoski "got the jump" on him seeing as Acciari chased him with his gloves off before Witkowski even knew there was going to be a fight. He had much better luck vs the non-fighter Weegar.

I wouldn't call Weegar a non fighter. He fights about 4 times year, which is similar to Witkowski. The difference here is that Luke is a much bigger man than Noel and just overpowerd him.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn't call Weegar a non fighter. He fights about 4 times year, which is similar to Witkowski. The difference here is that Luke is a much bigger man than Noel and just overpowerd him.
Yup, you're correct. Actually, Witkowski has three fights this year to Weegars four. What made him so good vs Weegars was the showing righty but going lefty trick. I think it might have worked against Witkowski.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Yup, you're correct. Actually, Witkowski has three fights this year to Weegars four. What made him so good vs Weegars was the showing righty but going lefty trick. I think it might have worked against Witkowski.

witkowski is a pretty tough dude but seems like a bit of a spot picker if you look at his fight card

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

Not sure where you’re quoting “got the jump” from ..

After that hit Witkowski didn’t know a fight may be coming? Not even when he looked back as he skated away from NA into open space?

Yes he had much better luck against the less experienced Weegar.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Don’t see a couple hundred grand a year costing us Noel. Schaeller and Riley Nash the team wisely wanted no part of which worked out but if there were no suitors both are back at a reasonable number for 1 or 2 years. Term is what will pry Acciari out of Boston. But if I’m him and there’s no 4 year offers out there I resign for 1 year 1 mil and bet on myself to hit 10 goals again and get that deal next year.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
They will offer him a least two years, makes sense
The dollars is the sticking point

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I would offer him one year at whatever he made this year. If he takes it thats great, if not, bring in someone tougher.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
More hockey management direction from the guy who didn’t know who Marcus Johansson was!
I didn't really care who he was. Now that I know, I wish we had left him right where he was. The deadline was yet another blunder.

Getting back to the actual topic, if you don't mind, of course.- Why would we want to pay very much for a very long term for Acciari? There's plenty of guys out there capable of doing more than he can.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I didn't really care who he was. Now that I know, I wish we had left him right where he was. The deadline was yet another blunder.

Getting back to the actual topic, if you don't mind, of course.- Why would we want to pay very much for a very long term for Acciari? There's plenty of guys out there capable of doing more than he can.

don im ok acciari being around 1 year at a time on a 2-way contract because he is an nhl talent... but im mostly with you on this

a 3 year contract would be insane. props to acciari for not sucking half this season but hes a 4th line guy. we do indeed have several guys that need his spot in the lineup

I hope he can get his payday somewhere for the sake of him and his family, but dear god dont let it be us that signs him to 3 years

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Played some fine hockey over the last month, didn`t at all like his game prior to it, just found that he was contributing little outside of a bit of physicality and far too many plays were dying on his stick

Never had expectations of a 4th liner to pop 30 pts but he was doing nothing. Can`t say that now.

All that said, if there is a kid in Providence who is as ready as can be for 4th line duty, you don`t block him to sign Noel IMO and I ain`t paying him a dime more than a mill/season

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
In a year that we have a few different options to slot into the lineup up front, he's got a pretty solid grip on his spot now. Kudos to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad