Value of: Noah Hanifin

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d bet anything he doesn’t. Top 10 (recent) drafted prospects don’t get traded for defensive defensemen, ever. Lindholm got less and that was with retention.
Defensive defencemen that’s top 30ish in scoring among defencemen the last 3 years…

Ledge And Dairy

Yeah that’s the template.

Vaakaneinen was still a prospect, but the shine had worn off. It was clear that he was moving towards being a soft puck moving D without any offense as his ceiling. So 2nd pairing at best, but probably bottom pairing.

And a 1st and a 2nd. And that was at 50% retention.

Maybe you can upgrade the prospect some and get rid of the 2nd, but still not a top prospect.

I think the big X factor with Hanifin, obviously, is who is on his list of teams he wants to re-sign with and if it’s limited or pretty open.
The X factor is how much interest there will be. Every competing team in the league seems to want to upgrade their defense this season except Vegas and probably Colorado. So if the demand for a top pairing puck moving defenseman is really high his return will follow suit. Like every deadline players tend to go to the highest bidder

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Hanifin will get a 1st+B prospect+2nd as a pending UFA.

From Detroit I would offer 1st 2024, Berggren, Maatta/Holl (just to open a roster spot), one of Wallinder or Johansson, and a 2nd if he came with an extension.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don't see a possibility of Dvorsky or Snuggerud being in play for any trades. Bolduc (17th overall in 2021) is most likely the prospect who gets traded in any trade for a defenseman.

Reactions: Blueston

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Totally depends on if he is willing to extend and what that extension looks like.

These offers are all based on him extending, and I am assuming posters are expecting him to extend with a reasonable contract, but Hanifin may be looking to cash in on the UFA market, in which case there would be no extension, or the extension may severely limit his value.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The X factor is how much interest there will be. Every competing team in the league seems to want to upgrade their defense this season except Vegas and probably Colorado. So if the demand for a top pairing puck moving defenseman is really high his return will follow suit. Like every deadline players tend to go to the highest bidder

Oh totally and every deadline and player is different. But that’s the closest recent example.

I know Toronto radio had mentioned that teams were wary of offering big deals because there is a sense he wants to come
home to Boston. Of course that could be bogus and I don’t want to sound like a MTL fan with Dubois, but that kind of stuff could effect the size of the market, too.

Totally depends on if he is willing to extend and what that extension looks like.

These offers are all based on him extending, and I am assuming posters are expecting him to extend with a reasonable contract, but Hanifin may be looking to cash in on the UFA market, in which case there would be no extension, or the extension may severely limit his value.

I do wonder if because the cap is jumping up so much if more of the UFAs make it there to see if they can reset the market.

Ledge And Dairy

Oh totally and every deadline and player is different. But that’s the closest recent example.

I know Toronto radio had mentioned that teams were wary of offering big deals because there is a sense he wants to come
home to Boston. Of course that could be bogus and I don’t want to sound like a MTL fan with Dubois, but that kind of stuff could effect the size of the market, too.

I do wonder if because the cap is jumping up so much if more of the UFAs make it there to see if they can reset the market.
Calgary isn't going to block teams from negotiating with him. He was nearly signed to an extension in Calgary a month and a half ago so I highly doubt it's Boston or no where for him. In fact I'm fairly confident he ends up in Dallas as they have the biggest need for a top pairing dman

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
If you use the search function, you can find out that the last Value of : Noah Hanifin thread was created in 2021. Surely his value has changed some since then.
Plenty of Calgary wants to sell everything and a whole novels worth of discussion on his value. I question your ability to search. Openly !

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
If you use the search function, you can find out that the last Value of : Noah Hanifin thread was created in 2021. Surely his value has changed some since then.

You can find the rest yourself

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I'd take that Det offer way before the StL offer

But is there anyway we can take Krug's contract back and then have the Blues add DD/JS?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Plenty of Calgary wants to sell everything and a whole novels worth of discussion on his value. I question your ability to search. Openly !

You can find the rest yourself

what do you care? You paying for this site's bandwidth? You the Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Forum hall monitor or something :laugh:?

There's several threads 5 pages back saying Friedman thinks such and such team is interested in Hanifin. That's not the same thing as a discussion on what his value would be on the market.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
He'll return a 1st at minimum. It's always funny when fans think they can get premium rentals or players at the deadline without that part.

After that it'll depend on whether he's a pure rental or he signs an extension. But you can take blue chip prospects off the table regardless; they're rarely if ever traded.

So at baseline, something like a 1st + B prospect + something else. Without an extension that something could be anything from nothing to a mid round pick. With an extension, maybe it turns into a young roster with high potential or another high pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Not sure wings wanna be trading 1st rounders and prospects just yet. I like Hanifin, but LHD prospect pool is so deep.
Would he play on the 3rd pairing behind Walman, Edvinsson?

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Anyways, Hanifin is better than every D on Detroit except Seider, so he’d be perfect on the second pairing once Ed is up. A long term top 4 of

Ed-Seider
Hanifin-ASP

Could challenge for best in the league

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Peter Tosh

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
….ok then ^

Anyways, Hanifin is better than every D on Detroit except Seider, so he’d be perfect on the second pairing once Ed is up. A long term top 4 of

Ed-Seider
Hanifin-ASP

Could challenge for best in the league
You'd pair Hanifin with Mo, Ed would be second pairing.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
You do realize he’s a 26 year old top pair D right? He’s also had a very good season to this point. And he never gets injured.

With an extension in place he easily gets a top prospect in return. The guy likely ends up playing 1500+ games in his career with the way he skates.

You do realize prospects like Snuggerud and Dvorsky are never traded this soon after their draft year right?

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad