Value of: Noah Hanifin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They’ll try increasing the Hanifin return by including someone like Dubé or even Mangiapane. Don’t think it’ll be Sharangovich, but I wouldn’t rule it out, depending on the additional piece it allows them to acquire.

We’ve seen it happen quite a bit over the last 25+ years. Where a team wouldn’t normally move that type of an (additional) high end prospect for a player like Sharangovich (straight up) as an example, but because they want Hanifin (in this case) so badly, are more likely to do it if that second player is included.

The McDonagh trade is a great example. Tampa was able to get Miller too, because they were more willing to move a certain asset in that trade, but wouldn’t have for just Miller, or as a secondary piece for McDonagh. Basically increasing the return for McDonagh.

In that case the prospect never amounted to what people thought he would, but it’s why you see these deals for high end players get expanded.

I mean neither Hajek or Howden were top 100 prospects. Just to level set here.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Teams will have issues affording Hanafin at his cap hit much less with additional cap hits from other players. This is a different cap environment then when McDonagh got traded
There will by NHL salary coming back to Calgary, and they’ll likely eat half of his.

Reactions: wintersej

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He’s a year younger and it was a year ago. That’s two years. And the 8 years it would take to get Hanifin signed is a bug not a feature. Anyone would rather him signed cheaper and shorter.

It's really not though. Hanifin turns 27 in January.
He is an incredibly durable top pairing quality dman in his prime.

An 8 year deal for Hanifin while still being negotiated with a relatively flat cap is probably going to look good for most if not all of the duration.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's really not though. Hanifin turns 27 in January.
He is an incredibly durable top pairing quality dman in his prime.

An 8 year deal for Hanifin while still being negotiated with a relatively flat cap is probably going to look good for most if not all of the duration.
Would you rather sign him for 8yrs or 4yrs?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would you rather sign him for 8yrs or 4yrs?

Depends on what's already on my cap and what kind of position my team is in.

AZ don't have a single rostered dman signed past this year atm. Hanifin would be a great pillar type to build a blueline around, and I think if you can get him on a decent number below an 8 AAV he'd be likely to provide good value the whole 8 years.

I think I'd rather have a 6 year term than either 4 or 8 but between the two I guess 4 just to ensure more flexibility. A shorter term deal like that isn't without it's own drawbacks either. What if after three years all your blue chips are hitting their strides and the Coyotes feel like they're ready to compete for a cup, Hanifin has fit in well and provided the kind of defense you'd expect and now is expecting another raise based on the cap being up near 95 million or something.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Everyone and their dog knows he’s ending up in Boston by July 1st at the latest. I’d rather trade him anywhere else in the meantime because the B’s assets are not enticing in the slightest

Reactions: DKH

Ledge And Dairy

Everyone and their dog knows he’s ending up in Boston by July 1st at the latest. I’d rather trade him anywhere else in the meantime because the B’s assets are not enticing in the slightest
I'm very willing to bet he does not end up in Boston. He was very close to extending for 8 years in Calgary a month and a half ago, no chance he's dead set on Boston only. My money is on Dallas

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm very willing to bet he does not end up in Boston. He was very close to extending for 8 years in Calgary a month and a half ago, no chance he's dead set on Boston only. My money is on Dallas
You might be right but everyone here in Boston area knows he’s Sweeney number one target - I’m sure he is aware as well

Against the Rangers Saturday night in a 1-0 they had Grzelcyk and Witherspoon killing a penalty against Fox, Kreider, Panerin, and Zibanejad.

the spot and money will be there

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Ya we can take back a defender making some money easy as long as it's only for 1-2 years.

Don't want any cap dump forwards though.
Yea, they almost have to have a dman coming back with a little term. They almost have to get a legit prospect (who’s close) on the backend too. I think that’s why so many people say Detroit makes the most sense. Very few teams can trade legit prospects on the blue line without hurting their system. Detroit has 5-7 of them not named Edvinsson. 3-4 with nice size and puck skills. The types teams don’t trade very often under 23. Anaheim has a couple of them too.

Those are the teams I think the Flames should be talking to the most. Or at least trying to. Chicago is another one who might be willing to trade one of those. So Detroit, Anaheim or Chicago. 3 teams who could also really use Hanifin the next 6-7 years.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yea, they almost have to have a dman coming back with a little term. They almost have to get a legit prospect (who’s close) on the backend too. I think that’s why so many people say Detroit makes the most sense. Very few teams can trade legit prospects on the blue line without hurting their system. Detroit has 5-7 of them not named Edvinsson. 3-4 with nice size and puck skills. The types teams don’t trade very often under 23. Anaheim has a couple of them too.

Those are the teams I think the Flames should be talking to the most. Or at least trying to. Chicago is another one who might be willing to trade one of those. So Detroit, Anaheim or Chicago. 3 teams who could also really use Hanifin the next 6-7 years.
I would give up Wallinder, 1st, and a second if the Flames would take one of our bad LDs. Edvinsson, Seider, Walman, ASP, Hanifin would be a real nice defense in 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad