Player Discussion: Noah Dobson

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Dobson is an outstanding talent but all of this nonsense about how Trotz and Lou have been genius in bringing him along is a lot of hype. Their hands were tied last year because he couldn't play in AHL and would have had to go back to juniors. They had no choice other than to keep him with the big club. This year he has to play because Toews is gone. Does anyone here really doubt that he would have been in the AHL last year if he could have been and might still be if things were normal? Let's stop making gods out of people who are just doing their job and responding to the circumstances. Nothing special has been done here as it relates to Dobson. He's good young player with a ton of upside, but the reason he is playing where he's playing now is because he has to.

They valued keeping him around with NHL team and getting some starts here or there over the roster spot. Maybe it's not genius, but it was certainly a wise and appropriate decision.

I'll give it a golf clap.

giphy.gif

Reactions: danteipp

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
They valued keeping him around with NHL team and getting some starts here or there over the roster spot. Maybe it's not genius, but it was certainly a wise and appropriate decision.

I'll give it a golf clap.

giphy.gif
It was the only decision is my point. That does not discount at all that he is in very good hands with Trotz as his coach and Greene as his partner.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Dobson is an outstanding talent but all of this nonsense about how Trotz and Lou have been genius in bringing him along is a lot of hype. Their hands were tied last year because he couldn't play in AHL and would have had to go back to juniors. They had no choice other than to keep him with the big club. This year he has to play because Toews is gone. Does anyone here really doubt that he would have been in the AHL last year if he could have been and might still be if things were normal? Let's stop making gods out of people who are just doing their job and responding to the circumstances. Nothing special has been done here as it relates to Dobson. He's good young player with a ton of upside, but the reason he is playing where he's playing now is because he has to.
The alternative approach is doing the Nino and forcing the guy into the lineup w/o being prepared or ready. So, there's a happy medium that while he may have had to be on the NHL lineup, he was in the actual lineup and on the ice at strategic times. Just doing their jobs, sure. But, how they do their jobs has an impact. Snow was just doing his job too.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The alternative approach is doing the Nino and forcing the guy into the lineup w/o being prepared or ready. So, there's a happy medium that while he may have had to be on the NHL lineup, he was in the actual lineup and on the ice at strategic times. Just doing their jobs, sure. But, how they do their jobs has an impact. Snow was just doing his job too.
I don't disagree with any of that, but nothing extraordinary has been done here. Competent, yes. Boilerplate, yes. Exceptional, no.

People are so eager to convince themselves that Lou and BT are the greatest GM/coach tandem in history that they will take any opportunity, no matter how mundane the underlying action is, to paint that picture.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I don't disagree with any of that, but nothing extraordinary has been done here. Competent, yes. Boilerplate, yes. Exceptional, no.

People are so eager to convince themselves that Lou and BT are the greatest GM/coach tandem in history that they will take any opportunity, no matter how mundane the underlying action is, to paint that picture.
I agree, I think its just more of what a professional and experienced winning formula is doing vs. what has been done on LI for decades. Even moreso, its also the Dubas vs. Lou thing too, on completely different playing styles, Tavares, and actual results to date when comparing those teams.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

I get your point... Lou and BT were just following conventional practice/wisdom.

But you know, when considering NHL wins, or general NHL professional opinions both can make a case for easily being top five overall in their respective positions

I guess both of them are good examples of building career success from consistently just doing more right than wrong.

For the record, this post isn’t supposed to be taken by you or anyone as more than just some idle musings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Duke

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I get your point... Lou and BT were just following conventional practice/wisdom.

But you know, when considering NHL wins, or general NHL professional opinions both can make a case for easily being top five overall in their respective positions

I guess both of them are good examples of building career success from consistently just doing more right than wrong.

For the record, this post isn’t supposed to be taken by you or anyone as more than just some idle musings.
They are both HOFers, no question, and they have both done good things in the short run for the Isles. Longer term, specifically as it relates to Lou, the jury is still way out. And so when I see the kind of gushing praise we've seen related to the handling of Dobson, which I think most of us would agree was the only path, I just wish people would save that kind of chatter for what will hopefully be Lou's next Niedermeyer type move and not something as unremarkable as Dobson being where he is.

Reactions: Matt Watson

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
They are both HOFers, no question, and they have both done good things in the short run for the Isles. Longer term, specifically as it relates to Lou, the jury is still way out. And so when I see the kind of gushing praise we've seen related to the handling of Dobson, which I think most of us would agree was the only path, I just wish people would save that kind of chatter for what will hopefully be Lou's next Niedermeyer type move and not something as unremarkable as Dobson being where he is.
People called it “nice to see” and an example of a “smart decision.” Trying to spin that into calling them "genius," "gods" or "the greatest gm/coach tandem in history," or even "extraordinary"/"gushing praise," as you are claiming has been said is more than a bit silly, and pretty clearly a straw man. No one in here is claiming any of that based on Dobson playing a partial season in the NHL last year.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
People called it “nice to see” and an example of a “smart decision.” Trying to spin that into calling them "genius," "gods" or "the greatest gm/coach tandem in history," or even "extraordinary"/"gushing praise," as you are claiming has been said is more than a bit silly, and pretty clearly a straw man. No one in here is claiming any of that based on Dobson playing a partial season in the NHL last year.
Nicely selective. If you want to deny the general point I was trying to make then do so, but the fact remains that for many posters here, the mere ordinary is often cause for over the top praise. One thing is clear, it's no strawman.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Nicely selective. If you want to deny the general point I was trying to make then do so, but the fact remains that for many posters here, the mere ordinary is often cause for over the top praise. One thing is clear, it's no strawman.
Ok, if I was being too selective by only going back a few pages, then please show me one post where someone makes Lou and Trotz out to be gods, geniuses or the best gm/coach tandem of all time for not playing Dobson in the AHL last season. I haven't seen one, but maybe I missed it.

Until you do, I'm pretty confident you are making a straw man by claiming that someone did do that.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ok, if I was being too selective by only going back a few pages, then please show me one post where someone makes Lou and Trotz out to be gods, geniuses or the best gm/coach tandem of all time for not playing Dobson in the AHL last season. I haven't seen one, but maybe I missed it.

Until you do, I'm pretty confident you are making a straw man by claiming that someone did do that.
I'm pretty confident you're missing the point and looking for a scrap. But if you want to spend you're night looking at old posts, go back and read mine and see if you can figure out that I was not referring to the Dobson situation alone. But then, you already knew that. Have a nice night.

Last edited:

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm pretty confident you're missing the point and looking for a scrap. But if you want to spend you're night looking at old posts, go back and read mine and see if you can figure out that I was not referring to the Dobson situation alone. But then, you already knew that. Have a nice night.
Except, you did claim it has happened specifically in regards to the Dobson situation, and that was what I called a straw man.

Oh, and it's only one page back, I dont have to spend all night to find it:

You even specify that you are talking "as it relates to Dobson."

But I'm pretty sure you already knew that and are just backpedaling rather than acknowledge that you quite clearly made a straw man here.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Except, you did claim it has happened specifically in regards to the Dobson situation, and that was what I called a straw man.

Oh, and it's only one page back, I dont have to spend all night to find it:

You even specify that you are talking "as it relates to Dobson."

But I'm pretty sure you already knew that and are just backpedaling rather than acknowledge that you quite clearly made a straw man here.
More selective editing. The entire quote was, "Nothing special has been done here as it relates to Dobson".

And not a strawman at all, it's a point have been making since Lou arrived. That he is too often praised for doing the obvious and ordinary. When he does something extraordinary, I will be as effusive in my praise as everyone else, but until then, he's just another GM with an incomplete report card.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
More selective editing. The entire quote was, "Nothing special has been done here as it relates to Dobson".

And not a strawman at all, it's a point have been making since Lou arrived. That he is too often praised for doing the obvious and ordinary. When he does something extraordinary, I will be as effusive in my praise as everyone else, but until then, he's just another GM with an incomplete report card.
Nothing selective about it, as I provided the whole post and the whole post is about the handling of Dobson, not just that one part. But anyway, you can keep backpedaling and pretending that post wasn't about the handling of Dobson, but I'm gonna call it on this one since you can't be intellectually honest about this.

Good day.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Nothing selective about it, as I provided the whole post and the whole post is about the handling of Dobson, not just that one part. But anyway, you can keep backpedaling and pretending that post wasn't about the handling of Dobson, but I'm gonna call it on this one since you can't be intellectually honest about this.

Good day.
Well, if you read the whole the post then you know that I have been 100% intellectually honest and I haven't backpedaled one bit. Lou has done nothing special in this instance and yet was praised for doing so. This happens all the time. I pointed it out. Again. Dobson was the example. That's all. Anyone who can read, and is intellectually honest and not bringing a personal bias to it would acknowledge that. But there is strong personal bias, which is the entire reason for this conversation. Let's see if you have the decency to own up to that.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Still trying to figure out why anyone argues with the Duke.. the guy has admitted he was a former referee. And we all know referees can never admit they were wrong. And see things everyone else misses. And is never wrong. And has developed a thicker skin than an armadillo. And is never wrong.

And most importantly, he is never wrong.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Still trying to figure out why anyone argues with the Duke.. the guy has admitted he was a former referee. And we all know referees can never admit they were wrong. And see things everyone else misses. And is never wrong. And has developed a thicker skin than an armadillo. And is never wrong.

And most importantly, he is never wrong.
Mostly just wanted to confirm my theory on him, and he went above and beyond to prove that it was correct.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I think we are still amazed at the change from the Snow era, and maybe some think LL gets too much credit. Trotz is making lemonade many nights, and the feel of the team is on the rise. Dobson's development with the big team is paying dividends. Snow would have done something stupid.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think we are still amazed at the change from the Snow era, and maybe some think LL gets too much credit. Trotz is making lemonade many nights, and the feel of the team is on the rise. Dobson's development with the big team is paying dividends. Snow would have done something stupid.

Love Trotz and hope he signs an extension with the isles.

Lou...not so much. His work has been a mixed bag and in Staples last Q & A, he said if Lou stays on as team President, he expects his son to become the next GM. Nothing I have seen from Chris L gets me excited about him taking over as GM.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Love Trotz and hope he signs an extension with the isles.

Lou...not so much. His work has been a mixed bag and in Staples last Q & A, he said if Lou stays on as team President, he expects his son to become the next GM. Nothing I have seen from Chris L gets me excited about him taking over as GM.

Why the hell would Chris L take over as GM? This isn’t the ducking British monarchy. GM of the NY Islanders isn’t inherited. Anything other than a full search with interviewing the most qualified candidates would shock me.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Dobson is in a really good situation for his long term development. He got a taste last year and was around a strong blue line group with Boychuk as a strong veteran presence as his mentor. Then Lou added another mentor in Greene who was a great fit for the kid as a partner on the ice. I give credit to Boychuk though, helping out the kid who is essentially your replacement shows what great character he has and why he is so beloved.

Trotz letting him run the #1PP right out of the gate was a bit of a surprise to me, but it is playing to his strengths. Dobson looks quite comfortable at the top of the umbrella with a howitzer option in Pulock at the Ovie spot and a dynamic Barzal on his right. You can tell he has a purpose and does zero floating, always in motion. Does a nice job keeping pucks in the zone against the wall and will present himself as an option on the back side when there is an opening. As he gains more strength and mass, his shooting should be more of a threat.

The clear weakness is his lack of muscle and defensive play so far. He needs reps, but I'm not concerned because he clearly has the poise and smarts to figure things out. Greene as a savvy safety blanket is pretty ideal. Notice that Greene often defers to Dobson after gaining puck possession in the defensive zone, he draws the forechecker then passes to Dobson to move the play forward with an open lane. Dobson's first pass has been on display so far in large part to Greene's willingness to do the dirty work.

Dobson is a work in progress and we won't see his Super Saiyan mode until he's 23/24, but the future is bright. Everything is in place for him to just continue to grow.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dobson is in a really good situation for his long term development. He got a taste last year and was around a strong blue line group with Boychuk as a strong veteran presence as his mentor. Then Lou added another mentor in Greene who was a great fit for the kid as a partner on the ice. I give credit to Boychuk though, helping out the kid who is essentially your replacement shows what great character he has and why he is so beloved.

Trotz letting him run the #1PP right out of the gate was a bit of a surprise to me, but it is playing to his strengths. Dobson looks quite comfortable at the top of the umbrella with a howitzer option in Pulock at the Ovie spot and a dynamic Barzal on his right. You can tell he has a purpose and does zero floating, always in motion. Does a nice job keeping pucks in the zone against the wall and will present himself as an option on the back side when there is an opening. As he gains more strength and mass, his shooting should be more of a threat.

The clear weakness is his lack of muscle and defensive play so far. He needs reps, but I'm not concerned because he clearly has the poise and smarts to figure things out. Greene as a savvy safety blanket is pretty ideal. Notice that Greene often defers to Dobson after gaining puck possession in the defensive zone, he draws the forechecker then passes to Dobson to move the play forward with an open lane. Dobson's first pass has been on display so far in large part to Greene's willingness to do the dirty work.

Dobson is a work in progress and we won't see his Super Saiyan mode until he's 23/24, but the future is bright. Everything is in place for him to just continue to grow.
Well articulated PW. I see a bit of Seth Jones in Noah. When he gains more confidence I can see him jumping into the attack as the 4th man, where Barzal will hit him with a trailing pass. I don't know if you notice this, but I see Barzal and Noah looking for each other. They are elite minds that only elite players see things on the ice. Mostly holes in the defence to create passing lanes. This is something to really look fwd to as an Islander fan. The chemistry these 2 will develop. Dobson already looks like the best QB on the PP the Isles have had since Trotz became the coach. It's trending well, it will be interesting to see how he looks after game 10, 20, 40. I predict he may be pushing the conversation as Isles Best D this year. It reminds me of his draft year, he came out of nowhere to be in the conversation as a top 5 pick. I can see this happening again. As Trotz's trust in him grows.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Why the hell would Chris L take over as GM? This isn’t the ducking British monarchy. GM of the NY Islanders isn’t inherited. Anything other than a full search with interviewing the most qualified candidates would shock me.
I also want a league wide search , with the most qualified candidates meeting with ownership for the best fit. It's not like Chris L is some successful, hot shot front office executive,who other teams are trying to poach,so the isles have to dangle the promise of the GM job to keep him in the organization.

Staples comments are from an Athletic Q & A from 2-3 days ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad