" No way we can keep all our first picks "

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Don't forget that players like Gagner and Petry might sign a hometown discount like Smid. Also when we start to be a perrenial contender vets will sign in Edmonton for a discount if there is a great chance to win the cup.

Moneypuck

Aug 12, 2009
The same was said about the 80's Oilers. And sure enough, one by one, they all did leave.

The Oilers don't "own" these kids. Like all others before them, they're only here till the wind pushes them in a different direction.

Enjoy the ride, like all other things, nothing lasts forever.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Don't forget that players like Gagner and Petry might sign a hometown discount like Smid. Also when we start to be a perrenial contender vets will sign in Edmonton for a discount if there is a great chance to win the cup.

i actually think that gagner might sign a bit of a discount... by all accounts he loves it in edmonton, has a long time girlfriend who is in school here and wants to be part of the future... i'm not saying he is gonna sign for 4 years at 2 million/season... but he might sign for 500k/year less over 4-5 years, which helps a lot really.... say 4/year over 4 years, rather than 4.5/year over the same term

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
There is no reason to think that we can't. Chicago is honestly the best example between Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith and Seabrook. All in the 5-6.5mil range.

Everyone bashes the Eberle contract, but if he returns to a ppg 30-40 goal scorer (imo theres no question he will) his contract is much much better than guys like Corey Perry's. If the cap goes over 70mil and continues to rise then Eberle's contract will be a steal.

The same was said about the 80's Oilers. And sure enough, one by one, they all did leave.

The Oilers don't "own" these kids. Like all others before them, they're only here till the wind pushes them in a different direction.

A much different time in the hockey world, especially in Edmonton. Money is no longer an issue with current ownership, so trading Gretzky away to save Pocklington's ass is a thing of the past.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009

Hey if these kids win half the cups the 80s Oilers did, I'd remember it forever.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am glad Stauffer laughed this one off. As a fan you never can tell if you have an insane GM before they make a move or two. Just because trading Yakupov away would be idiotic, doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Ask any Milbury era Islanders fan.

So the Oilers main/secondary(Tencer?) mouthpiece refuting it so completely was encouraging. The Oilers have needs, but not needs big enough to necessitate trading the most recent 1st overall pick, after he just led the team in goals.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I am glad Stauffer laughed this one off. As a fan you never can tell if you have an insane GM before they make a move or two. Just because trading Yakupov away would be idiotic, doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Ask any Milbury era Islanders fan.

So the Oilers main/secondary(Tencer?) mouthpiece refuting it so completely was encouraging. The Oilers have needs, but not needs big enough to necessitate trading the most recent 1st overall pick, after he just led the team in goals.

The fact that that 'writer' had the nerve to try and illicit any sort of reaction out of that 'piece' is annoying, but not as annoying as people actually reacting to it.

MacT stuck his neck out to get us Schultz and now Belov, who was supposedly one of the best d-men in the KHL last season? He's not stupid enough to trade away a player like Yak after a great first season. Especially one in which he finished off as strong as he did.

Moneypuck

Aug 12, 2009
Shea Weber isn't about to be going anywhere soon, so there absolutely no reason for 4,93,64,14 or 19 to be involved.

Sit tight and hopefully grow our own, maybe in 3 yrs we'll be a playoff team again. With no roster help coming this season from that 7th overall selection, along with a definite plan B free agent blueliner this summer. There will be little to no difference in the 13-14 version of the Oilers. The 3 passengers setting the place for this club are still all in place for atleast one more season in Horcoff, Hemsky and Gagner.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
So you think he is going to put up fifty goals next season? That sure bodes well for the oilers playoff chances. I think there is next to zero chance he gets more then six except if he puts up stamkos like numbers.:shakehead

I think the cap is going to rise significantly after this season, plus Yakupov is going to use comparables that have signed under the new CBA (without the artificially lower cap hits), plus he's going to have legitimate offers from the KHL in excess of $6 million per.

So yeah, if Yakupov merely follows Hall's statline (let alone exceeds it), he'll demand more money in 2014 or 2015 than Hall did in 2012. Expecting him to let Hall and Eberle's salaries dictate his contract figure is likely a lovely little pipe dream. :shakehead :shakehead

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I think the cap is going to rise significantly after this season, plus Yakupov is going to use comparables that have signed under the new CBA (without the artificially lower cap hits), plus he's going to have legitimate offers from the KHL in excess of $6 million per.

So yeah, if Yakupov merely follows Hall's statline (let alone exceeds it), he'll demand more money in 2014 or 2015 than Hall did in 2012. Expecting him to let Hall and Eberle's salaries dictate his contract figure is likely a lovely little pipe dream. :shakehead :shakehead

Think what you want but the first part of your post is speculation and fairy tales. It's no coincidence Hall and Ebs were signed for the same dollar figure. They are setting an internal cap for these young stars. If they do what they did with Hall they will lock him up at the end of next season. Baring a Stamkos type season he won't be getting more then they got.

Last edited:

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Well.. Chicago has Toews (6.3), Kane (6.3), Sharp (5.9), Hossa (5.275), Seabrook (5.8), Keith (5.4) all locked up long term and are under the cap. (which is at it's lowest in a while) So yes, we can as long as we are smart with the rest of our money. The cap will go up and we will be losing our worst contracts in the next few years. (Horcoff, N. Schultz, Smyth = ~10M)

I am willing to admit in order to maintain the core, some of our depth will need to go. Chicago is going to lose Bickell and Stalberg this year because they can't afford them. I believe if Gagner gets over 4M this summer (which he should) he will be traded if we run into problems.

Our drafting is going to have to get a lot better so we can easily replace some of the pieces that will need to go in the future.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
One big element: DO NOT OVERPAY FOR GOALTENDING

Montreal has a 6.5M goaltender who was terrible in the playoffs.

Vancouver has a 5.33M back-up with a long term deal.

Pittsburgh has a 5M goaltender crapping the bed.

Nashville has a 6.3M goaltender who couldn't get them into the playoffs. Ditto Buffalo.

Quick (still on his paltry 1.7M deal - jumping to 7M next year) and Lundquist are probably the only two goalies in the league worth the big money.

Craig Anderson - 3.18M
Lehtonen - 3.55M (jumps to a scary 6.25M next year)
Rask - 3.5M this year - jumping next year for sure
Hiller - 4.5M - a very consistent no.1 with a good price tag for a few more years

I am just pointing out that you should be able to make some clever moves and keep costs down in some areas. Dubnyk isn't Lundquist.

Keep total goaltending cost below 5M (this year it was 7M for the Oilers).

McJeetz

Feb 2, 2007
It's not that the Oilers can't pay their top 5 players premium $$$. Chicago does. But you can't pay 6 wingers 18 mil. and then pay a premium for 2 centers and 1-2 defensemen

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Think what you want but the first part of your post is speculation and fairy tails. It's no coincidence Hall and Ebs were signed for the same dollar figure. They are setting an internal cap for these young stars. If they do what they did with Hall they will lock him up at the end of next season. Baring a Stamkos type season he won't be getting more then they got.

The cap rises virtually every year, unless some artificial factor kicks in. And even if for some reason it doesn't go up in 2014, then it will rise in 2015. It is not speculation, it is reality as informed by history and awareness of the NHL's economics. And even if you don't know it, Yakupov and his representatives do.

If Yakupov signs for the same money as Hall (presuming he doesn't sink next season), it will be because he made a selfless team-oriented decision with little regard to his economic bargaining power. Don't talk to me about fairy tales when you're the one wishin' and a hopin' and a prayin' that a 1st overall pick is going to roll back his salary demands to fit a 2012 (Hall, Eberle) or 2011 (Stamkos, Tavares) paradigm.

The Salary Cap for the 2015-2016 will almost certainly be higher than that of the 2013-2014 (or 2011-12) season. PLUS Yakupov will have higher-salaried comparables, thanks to the new CBA rules. PLUS he will have greater negotiating power, as a result of the very real KHL threat. (Yakupov may not want to play in the KHL, but he is a greater threat to go there than Hall, Eberle, etc. and his agent would be a fool not to exploit that in negotiation.) PLUS there is no way for the team to reduce the cap hit by front-loading it or signing a massive extension. PLUS, assuming he stays healthy next season, he has less incentive to sign an early extension than Hall did following two injury-shortened seasons.

Many people here in their assumptions seem to view the Hall/Eberle contracts as maximums for the rest of the core. In Yakupov's case - assuming he more or less approximates Hall's sophomore numbers - the Hall contract is more likely a minimum.

There is virtually no reason for Yakupov to demand or expect anything less than that. And that's a statement without judgment on his character. That is a simple fact. Take it from someone with professional negotiation and advocacy training and experience - there is very little compelling reason to use those numbers as anything other than a starting point. Taylor Hall does not set a salary cap for Nail Yakupov. It's a loose guideline at best, and more likely a salary floor. If he signs for Hall's numbers, it's likely going to be a shorter term deal. And why not?

You - and a large portion of the Edmonton fanbase & media in general - better prepare for the likelihood of a larger contract than expected. And watch out if Yakupov manages to exceed Hall's numbers and put up something near Stamkos's, because his salary demands are going to blow some small market minds. Especially when he gets them.

And again, that's not judgment on Yakupov. That's not me saying the Oilers can't afford him or have to trade him. That's just me saying the economic reality is likely harsher than most people expect, and people need to put themselves in Yakupov's (or his agent's) shoes and think about things from that business perspective. Because it could be a PR disaster if he gets treated like a villain for serving his own business interests, and I sure as hell don't trust this current Oilers management to be able to finesse that issue.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
If Yak scores at Stamkos pace(highly unlikely), then no one is going to be quibbling over how much more than Hall he is making, he'll be one of the very best goal scorers in the game.

The Oilers do actually have some leverage in that Hall is easily the team's best player and only making 6 million. Yak/RNH actually have to earn contracts to make more than him, and the team(and fans) should have zero issues with that if that's what happens. As it stands, RNH is not a 6 million dollar a year player, and is unlikely to become one coming off injury in his final ELC year. Nor is yak, though his future is cloudier as we don't know what he'll be capable of going forwards into the next two full seasons.

It's really nothing to worry about yet, and may never be.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Keep in mind that Hall scored at a 91 point pace, while completely carrying the team, and he did it while still on his ELC. Unless Yak gets 100+, there's no chance he can ask for more than 6 (not that I think he would anyways)

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
If the salary cap rises as astronomically as some seem to suggest, will the extra couple million dollars Yakupov demands even make a difference? Think about it. If the cap remains at 60-65 forever, he won't have the leverage to demand 8 million. If it goes up to 70-75 he does, but who cares? We'll have all of the cap space to make it work.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's way too soon to put a 5 mill price on Schultz's contract. He's got a long way to go. For all we know he still might just pan out to be a reliable 2nd pairing guy. He's got a long way to go before I play him ahead of Petry or Smid.

In a few years the salary cap will continue to rise and I'm pretty sure that'll happen before Schultz gets expensive.

Funny how you don't mention Gagner. Put up tons of points last season and he's probably going to sign for 5-5.5M for the long term regardless of what kind of 2nd line center you guys want.

Silver

Mar 23, 2002
California
Visit site
One big element: DO NOT OVERPAY FOR GOALTENDING

Montreal has a 6.5M goaltender who was terrible in the playoffs.

Vancouver has a 5.33M back-up with a long term deal.

Pittsburgh has a 5M goaltender crapping the bed.

Nashville has a 6.3M goaltender who couldn't get them into the playoffs. Ditto Buffalo.

Quick (still on his paltry 1.7M deal - jumping to 7M next year) and Lundquist are probably the only two goalies in the league worth the big money.

Craig Anderson - 3.18M
Lehtonen - 3.55M (jumps to a scary 6.25M next year)
Rask - 3.5M this year - jumping next year for sure
Hiller - 4.5M - a very consistent no.1 with a good price tag for a few more years

I am just pointing out that you should be able to make some clever moves and keep costs down in some areas. Dubnyk isn't Lundquist.

Keep total goaltending cost below 5M (this year it was 7M for the Oilers).

I'd expand on that slightly and say that the big thing that kills you with goalies is term. I'd think that if recent history tells us anything, it's that you keep the term down. Long deals for goalies scare the hell out of me. I'd rather pay a guy like Quick $8.5 on short deals (3 years or less) than try to get value on a long deal. A guy like Horcoff under performs, and you can hide him somewhat. He's not expected to suck up 2/3rds of a season in minutes played.

Your starting goalie pulls a Fleury? You're gonna have a bad time.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Funny how you don't mention Gagner. Put up tons of points last season and he's probably going to sign for 5-5.5M for the long term regardless of what kind of 2nd line center you guys want.

You trade him and find someone cheaper.

Sam is decent, but he'll never be elite, and you always move out of the lower tier guys before you start moving the stars for cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad