Movies: No Time to Die

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
If we're going to use Fleming's feelings as the arbiter, then we gotta note that he famously hated the Connery casting. So arguably the most beloved Bond by fans was not embraced by the character's creator.

I'm not sure that that's accurate. Fleming may've hated the casting, but after Dr. No came out, he gave the written Bond some of Connery's traits, like his humor and his Scottish lineage. It would seem that Fleming did embrace Connery once he saw him in the role. It doesn't seem different than how fans hated the Craig casting but have embraced him since.
Seems arbitrary and silly to me to single out Bond's whiteness as one of two details that must never change. (British is clearly not negotiable).

If Bond is mostly a style and a personality, why does his nationality matter, either? It seems similarly arbitrary to say that being British isn't negotiable. I imagine that, if Bond's gender and race are changed, there will then be calls for a change in nationality, as well, using the same argument that everything else has been malleable so far, so why not one thing more. You have to draw a line somewhere, even if it seems arbitrary to those who would simply draw it elsewhere.

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm not sure that that's accurate. Fleming may've hated the casting, but after Dr. No came out, he gave the written Bond some of Connery's traits, like his humor and his Scottish lineage. It would seem that Fleming did embrace Connery once he saw him in the role. It doesn't seem different than how fans hated the Craig casting but have embraced him since.

If Bond is mostly a style and a personality, why does his nationality matter, either? It seems similarly arbitrary to say that being British isn't negotiable. I imagine that, if Bond's gender and race are changed, there will then be calls for a change in nationality, as well, using the same argument that everything else has been malleable so far, so why not one thing more. You have to draw a line somewhere, even if it seems arbitrary to those who would simply draw it elsewhere.

Fair point about Fleming.

As to the second, his being British is inherent to the character. As is his being male for that matter. Making him American or Russian or whatever is a huge fundamental change for a character who serves Queen & Country. Different countries, different cultures, different histories with spycraft and I'd say different attitudes too. There's a class to a British spy that just isn't associated with other cultures. A lot of that comes from Bond himself of course, but other literature as well. Let's just make Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer British while we're at it! :naughty:

For what it's worth I think being male is also essential to being Bond. Given his broad personality and proclivities.

You change those things and you're changing the actual character. You change his race and what is actually different about the character in the modern setting? I personally don't see any change to WHO Bond is.

That's why nationality feels essential to me but race feels arbitrary.

Now all this said, I have spouted my belief around these parts that there are no truly bad ideas, only bad execution! Some ideas obviously have much much higher margins of error.

Changing Bond's race is a very low margin of error thing to me.

Changing Bond's nationality and sex are very high margin of error ideas. You could do it, but why and how? You either have to change actually attributes of Bond to make him be more American or female, which I would argue is then making him not Bond so what's the point or you make the character exactly the same be he happens to be American or a woman, which just feels like an incongruous fit. Doable perhaps but tough for me to imagine.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Isnt she confirmed to star in the next Bond movie?

Nothing is confirmed about the next movie, as far as I know. I imagine that you're thinking of the reports from a year ago that Lynch is the new 007, but that was with respect to this movie. If I recall, it opens with Bond no longer being a member of MI6 and his codename, 007, having been given to another agent, played by Lynch. Eventually, she gives it back, like a young hockey player giving his number back to a returning veteran player. That said, she could take it back and star in the next movie, but I doubt that they'll go in that direction. For one, she was not that interesting of a character in this movie, IMO. To answer your original question, I can't see her carrying the role or the movie doing well at the box office. They could maybe try a spin-off with her, and they may've had that thought when they created her--giving her the 007 codename, even briefly, gave her cachet--but I don't think that she left a strong enough impression. In fact, it's Ana de Armas that everyone seems to want more of, not Lynch.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't think it's been confirmed yet if any of the supporting characters will return for the next one. They could be rebooting it as well. :dunno:

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I could’ve sworn there was some annoying controversy about her being the first black female bond earlier in the summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad