No tears shed, friends -- Fun Season

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
I initially felt worse than the Flyers or Montreal losses from a few years ago, but only because this team seemed like a legitimate contender. We at least went in a positive direction this season, and we can't say that about previous seasons. It's so difficult to get as far as we did, but this group has a better chance of getting there and beyond than other years. I'm not optimistic about our chances next year, but they are better than they've been.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It was hard to watch how the other playoff teams were able to break out and move through neutral getting passes at full speed. Have a real NHL looking transition game. I am not sure how much of that is the grinders holding us back. Some of that is coaching, if not, GMing.

We were relegated to continually chipping at the center red to break out. I mean dump it in. It's a credit to Holtby Ovi Kuz Ward Bura and Chimera that were able to get as far as we did. Individual stuff.
Yep. That there is why I'll need some evidence this off-season or at least early on in the pre-season and regular season that Trotz isn't just going to Nashville his way toward respectful but ultimate mediocrity.

They need to evolve in very crucial areas or else this script will play out over and over again.

capsfan528

Dec 20, 2008
I like where they are heading as a team..I think a big key for the team and also the locker room is resigning fehr, beagle and ward. They seem like glue guys that everyone on the team loves.

CAPS IN 2016!

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Florida fan coming in peace.

I live in Alexandria, VA so I've been following the Capitals since 2011. I go to 4-5 games in person a year, and have been to the rookie camp every year.

I want to convey that I feel the Capitals turned a corner this season. They are one of the more fun teams to watch in the league. I feel strongly that Trotz is the right coach and should have a long tenure in DC. I think the Capitals could be a multi-dimensional team moving forward as Kuznetsov and Burakovsky develop. I think finding another goal scorer for the top 6 and adding a depth puck mover (Orlov?) would help immensely. Possibly finding the "right" player to play with Ovechkin and Backstrom is really important. Ward/Johannson add different elements to that line, but ideally you would have a winger that could help zone transition and win battles on the boards and in the corners to facilitate getting the puck to Ovechkin.

Sorry for the tough loss. I was rooting for the Caps. Congrats on the great year.

Cheers,

Haj

HFranky

Jan 8, 2009
Habs fan coming in peace too..

I agree that you guys should be more optimistic than ever. You finally have what you've been lacking for so many years : elite goaltending. Holtby is up there with Price, Lundqvist and Rinne.

I just loved what I saw from Kuznetsov these playoffs, you're so lucky to have him, he'll become one hell of a player. In some years, maybe only Pittsburgh will be able to say they have a better 1-2 centers (If Malkin is not traded). I also liked Burakovsky, this kid is smooth, has great offensive tools and man can he shoot the puck...

What you guys need is an other top 4 defenseman (Maybe Orlov if he can finally stay healthy) and a top 6 forward to play with Backstrom and Ovechkin. I don't really like Johansson and I don't find there's a specific area where he is really good.

I expect great things to come for your team !

Maruk moustache

Apr 6, 2011
Austin
Unless you have an exciting team like the early BB years the regular season is a long, brutal grind JUST to get to where we were tonight...and in Games 5 and 6 for that matter. Those are the moments that matter if you're putting up with boring for-your-own-good "heavy game" hockey. It's supposed to be worth it. It's supposed to pay off. It didn't.

I really was a big fan of the style played in BB years and I know what you're saying. The games especially in the early BB years were just really enjoyable in and of themselves. I still cringe about the firing.

I really didn't think I would like Trotz hockey. But I really did enjoy most of the games. I think there could be more offensive talent though. The emergence of Kuz will help with that. And hopefully losing some dead weight and buying a guy this offseason will help more. I thought it a pretty entertaining season really. Certainly more entertaining than I was expecting when I first found out about the Trotz hire. I think some of these games against the Rangers were probably some of the least entertaining ones of the year, y'know, aside from their importance.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yep. That there is why I'll need some evidence this off-season or at least early on in the pre-season and regular season that Trotz isn't just going to Nashville his way toward respectful but ultimate mediocrity.

They need to evolve in very crucial areas or else this script will play out over and over again.

So how do we evolve from this chip it out to center mentality/style? Is it lack of skill or is it the system they're told to play. I've heard a few of the greats harp on D who continually just chip it out to center, "anyone can do that".....

We also are utterly predictBle when sending it around the boards. I can't remember a playoff team worse at clearing their own zone regularly or with possession. Again, coached up that way or idiot D?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
BB's caps were very fun to watch, but Trotz hockey is more enjoyable then Hunter/Oates hockey, thats for sure. With Kuzy/Bura growing up and hopefully an inject of offensive tallent in the middle of the lineup while still keeping some of the grit should make the game even more fun to watch.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
I'm not particularly that upset. It seems Alzner took a huge leap in development. At times, he looked like his offensive instincts surpassed several of his teammates. God was he awesome to watch this year. And obviously watching Kuznetsov grow down the stretch was amazing.

Throw in Burakovsky's playoff performance, Ovechkin, and Holtby and there actually seems to be a ton of progress with this Caps group. That hasn't been present in several years. Just need to cut some of the dead weight out of this roster (Green, Brouwer, Laich, ETC.)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So how do we evolve from this chip it out to center mentality/style? Is it lack of skill or is it the system they're told to play. I've heard a few of the greats harp on D who continually just chip it out to center, "anyone can do that".....

We also are utterly predictBle when sending it around the boards. I can't remember a playoff team worse at clearing their own zone regularly or with possession. Again, coached up that way or idiot D?
It's hard to say but I don't think they're coached up to do it, at least not explicitly. It may just be a lingering bad habit from a franchise used to low defensive / hockey IQ standards for the past decade plus (thanks GMGM).

After the Tavares OTGWG in Game 3 on the heels of Carlson blindly clearing it up the boards, Trotz questioned the decision and said he had options rather than chip it up the boards. But it's not clear they routinely practice quick decision-making or pushing the pace in that fashion generally. They certainly never appeared like a team that did. Away from the puck and defensive structure seemed to be about all they really prioritized this season. The rest was left up to chance. I guess you could blame it on limited personnel, particularly up front, but that shouldn't stop them from selectively raising the bar for those capable of carrying it.

When players execute the safe chip play, coaches praise making the simple play. It seems to me it's less of an explicit directive across the board than default mode in the absence of composed preparedness. It's the panic play...effective in the short-term but it adds up in the end. It's hard to say for sure without more on the record from players and coaches but the Caps really did stick in that regard in a big way. So much money spent on the blueline yet they largely played a primitive style.

Improved forward personnel could help, esp. a couple of natural bottom six centers that can skate and support defensively. Playing faster in the regular season so they're more comfortable playing on their toes would also help. They weren't ready for resilient opposition or high tempo contests. They just kind of fought through their own self-imposed lethargy much of the playoffs and Trotz should probably look for the reasons why that was the case. They're not that hard to find.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Now that I've stepped away a bit, I've come to realize this season was a success.

1) we finally found our young, stud 2C. How long have we been looking for one? Not anymore!

2) we finally found our goalie. I was one of Holtby's biggest critics, but he vastly improved his glaring weaknesses and was pretty great this year. If that's the guy we can expect for years to come, we have a chance to win every year.

Finding a 2C and stud goalie in one season is a success in my books. Just a shame it had to end like that.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Now that I've stepped away a bit, I've come to realize this season was a success.

1) we finally found our young, stud 2C. How long have we been looking for one? Not anymore!

2) we finally found our goalie. I was one of Holtby's biggest critics, but he vastly improved his glaring weaknesses and was pretty great this year. If that's the guy we can expect for years to come, we have a chance to win every year.

Finding a 2C and stud goalie in one season is a success in my books. Just a shame it had to end like that.

Of course it was a success. We went up against the best team in the East and were 2 minutes away from ousting them. Blowing a 3-1 series lead is dissappointing, but when it comes down to it, we all knew this wasn't our year: we were a blue-chip, top 6 forward away from being a contender. And I suspect whoever emerges from the West is going to win the Cup anyway.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
I never thought Girardi and McDonough would be good enough to contain OV and two other 1st line forwards. They did it.

Their stature as D men has to be up there.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I never thought Girardi and McDonough would be good enough to contain OV and two other 1st line forwards. They did it.

Their stature as D men has to be up there.

They have experience against Ovi. Backstrom just didn't show up.
They had no answer for Kuzya's speed and hands though.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kid was a ROOKIE this year and he was still THAT good in the ****ing playoffs.

Well, 37 playoff games in KHL (including finals). 2 times IIHF World Champion. He wasn't a rookie.

We had a discussion about that in Autum and my words werent heard at the time :P

NYRantLftyC19

Mar 17, 2007
Just wanted to say you guys should not feel bad at all... I really love your team, and if the Rangers got outed I would have been rooting for you guys to win the Cup. Ovy deserves it, he plays his heart out and no one can say he doesn't bring it in the playoffs. People, years from now, may look back on this series and say he came up short or choked or whatever it is, but anyone who watched saw he did everything he could. It's just really hard to go up against guys like McD, Girardi, Staal, and Lundqvist and dominate. He scored, he was a force out there, and wrecked some of our Dmen.

Kuz impressed a lot, and this is just his rookie year. I've liked him since his draft year, and watching him closely this series, I like that he has a penchant for shooting (and cutting to the middle to get a better angle). He has that scorer's mentnality, which it looks like Ovy is the only other person on your team with that. Backstrom didn't do so well this series, maybe if he moves down to play with Kuz they will be awesome together (and Ovy can create chances for himself anyway). You just needed some scoring depth. Another first line center or 2nd line creative passer will make your offense so much more dangerous. Tampa has that Johnson Kucherov Palat line for a 2nd line and that is really scary. Kuz with a great passer would be scary too.

If the Rangers win this Cup this year, I really want you guys to get one in the next couple of years... Pens went into a defensive shell most games because they were so afraid of our speed, but you guys countered our speed with your physicality, and succeeded a lot of this series. Every team needs an identity to bond together and so each individual player knows their role, and you guys should keep developing that physical, tough to play against identity. That thought that it's never an easy win against Washington.. and its certainly getting there.

Holtby- for the first part of the series, he was better than Lundqvist. He's young and he's already had a lot of experience in the playoffs.. he may have fallen short, but its almost impossible to outduel Lundqvist over 7 games in a tight defensive series. After Hank, Price, and Rask, I think he's the best goalie in the East.

Good luck next year. I always root for you guys when its not against the Rangers.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just wanted to say you guys should not feel bad at all... I really love your team, and if the Rangers got outed I would have been rooting for you guys to win the Cup. Ovy deserves it, he plays his heart out and no one can say he doesn't bring it in the playoffs. People, years from now, may look back on this series and say he came up short or choked or whatever it is, but anyone who watched saw he did everything he could. It's just really hard to go up against guys like McD, Girardi, Staal, and Lundqvist and dominate. He scored, he was a force out there, and wrecked some of our Dmen.

Kuz impressed a lot, and this is just his rookie year. I've liked him since his draft year, and watching him closely this series, I like that he has a penchant for shooting (and cutting to the middle to get a better angle). He has that scorer's mentnality, which it looks like Ovy is the only other person on your team with that. Backstrom didn't do so well this series, maybe if he moves down to play with Kuz they will be awesome together (and Ovy can create chances for himself anyway). You just needed some scoring depth. Another first line center or 2nd line creative passer will make your offense so much more dangerous. Tampa has that Johnson Kucherov Palat line for a 2nd line and that is really scary. Kuz with a great passer would be scary too.

If the Rangers win this Cup this year, I really want you guys to get one in the next couple of years... Pens went into a defensive shell most games because they were so afraid of our speed, but you guys countered our speed with your physicality, and succeeded a lot of this series. Every team needs an identity to bond together and so each individual player knows their role, and you guys should keep developing that physical, tough to play against identity. That thought that it's never an easy win against Washington.. and its certainly getting there.

Holtby- for the first part of the series, he was better than Lundqvist. He's young and he's already had a lot of experience in the playoffs.. he may have fallen short, but its almost impossible to outduel Lundqvist over 7 games in a tight defensive series. After Hank, Price, and Rask, I think he's the best goalie in the East.

Good luck next year. I always root for you guys when its not against the Rangers.

Thank you for your kind words. Kuznetsov is our 2C and we expect Burakovsky to become our 2LW. No reason for Backstrom to step down from his 1C role, he just needs to work on his shot and his consistency in the playoffs.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
2 days later and my disappointment level has not gone down.

Some can point to positives, but beyond some individual positives (Holtby and Kuzy), I don't see it. The Caps were up 3-1 and lost the series. That huge negative trumps any positives gained from this season. Add to it a number of playoff games, elimination games to close a team out, where the Caps had slow starts, or were "nervous", and I fail to see where the culture of choking (that is well earned) will be changed any time soon.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
2 days later and my disappointment level has not gone down.

Some can point to positives, but beyond some individual positives (Holtby and Kuzy), I don't see it. The Caps were up 3-1 and lost the series. That huge negative trumps any positives gained from this season. Add to it a number of playoff games, elimination games to close a team out, where the Caps had slow starts, or were "nervous", and I fail to see where the culture of choking (that is well earned) will be changed any time soon.

They need to gain confidence as a team during the next regular season. I think that Kuzya and Bura getting older will help with the overall confidence of the team. I can't wait to see the numbers they'll put up next year. I think Kuzya could score 60 points, Bura could get 20 goals at least.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
A couple hours later and I heard something that put me at peace with the 2014/2015 Washington Capitals. It was a parody of the Simon and Garfunkel song "Homeward Bound" called "Choking Dogs" played on the Tony Kornheiser show. It made me laugh, it made me feel better.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Tony Kornheiser can **** off. The only intelligent thing he's ever said about hockey is that he knows nothing about hockey.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
He's not worth the time. He's a lazy, self-promoting schlub who completely missed the Alex Ovechkin story when he still had a column at the Post. His choking dog act was always just an excuse to flaunt his dislike - and ignorance - of hockey and to reinforce the lack of interest in hockey among most of his readers and listeners. It's hard for me to see how anyone in this area who likes hockey can abide him, because he's only interested in mocking the sport or dissing the Caps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad