No tears shed, friends -- Fun Season

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
He's not worth the time. He's a lazy, self-promoting schlub who completely missed the Alex Ovechkin story when he still had a column at the Post. His choking dog act was always just an excuse to flaunt his dislike - and ignorance - of hockey and to reinforce the lack of interest in hockey among most of his readers and listeners. It's hard for me to see how anyone in this area who likes hockey can abide him, because he's only interested in mocking the sport or dissing the Caps.

I like him, and I like hockey. He has a 2 hour show, 5 days a week. During that time he probably devotes 5 minutes total for the week on the Caps. He doesn't dislike the Caps, he just doesn't care. He brings them up because he has too, but his choking dog analysis is spot on, and that song parody was damn funny.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
It's hard to say but I don't think they're coached up to do it, at least not explicitly. It may just be a lingering bad habit from a franchise used to low defensive / hockey IQ standards for the past decade plus (thanks GMGM).

After the Tavares OTGWG in Game 3 on the heels of Carlson blindly clearing it up the boards, Trotz questioned the decision and said he had options rather than chip it up the boards. But it's not clear they routinely practice quick decision-making or pushing the pace in that fashion generally. They certainly never appeared like a team that did. Away from the puck and defensive structure seemed to be about all they really prioritized this season. The rest was left up to chance. I guess you could blame it on limited personnel, particularly up front, but that shouldn't stop them from selectively raising the bar for those capable of carrying it.

When players execute the safe chip play, coaches praise making the simple play. It seems to me it's less of an explicit directive across the board than default mode in the absence of composed preparedness. It's the panic play...effective in the short-term but it adds up in the end. It's hard to say for sure without more on the record from players and coaches but the Caps really did stick in that regard in a big way. So much money spent on the blueline yet they largely played a primitive style.

Improved forward personnel could help, esp. a couple of natural bottom six centers that can skate and support defensively. Playing faster in the regular season so they're more comfortable playing on their toes would also help. They weren't ready for resilient opposition or high tempo contests. They just kind of fought through their own self-imposed lethargy much of the playoffs and Trotz should probably look for the reasons why that was the case. They're not that hard to find.

Yeah I remember Trotz saying the same thing after Carlson's TO, and I think we discussed the difference between saying and practicing. There's no question that we have improved in some areas this season under Trotz (much better forecheck and defensive responsibility), but not nearly a much as some would suggest. I thought our possession game was actually better in the first 10 games or so of the season and then declined thereafter. It's almost like they were free of Oates and played to their instincts in the beginning, then Trotz's influence began to take over. As lousy a coach as Oates was, if he doesn't mess with Holtby we make the playoffs last season and who knows if we don't go where we went this year. Add Orpik and Niskanen to the equation and the comparison becomes even more interesting.

Our issues with passing behind our blue line has been there for 7-8 years. In the BB era, much of it was blamed on forwards not giving support. It has, for as long as I can remember, been about blindly throwing it up the boards. Pittsburgh in '09 hemmed us in like the rink was 100 feet much of the time. You could tell that this season there was really little option to pass anywhere but along the boards. I remember the Islanders having a really nice one touch pass along from the forward along the boards to someone streaking out of the zone and wondering why we have no such thing in our repertoire. We are terrified of the turnover, but even the Rangers had some passes picked off. I think the risks of the occasional turnover are offset by the benefits of a more consistent and effective break-out.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I like him, and I like hockey. He has a 2 hour show, 5 days a week. During that time he probably devotes 5 minutes total for the week on the Caps. He doesn't dislike the Caps, he just doesn't care. He brings them up because he has too, but his choking dog analysis is spot on, and that song parody was damn funny.

I haven't listened in years, but used to. I always liked his show honestly. Kept me entertained. Sure he's not a hockey guy but he doesn't pretend to be either.

Sep 19, 2008
Tony Kornheiser can **** off. The only intelligent thing he's ever said about hockey is that he knows nothing about hockey.

He admittedly says he knows nothing about hockey, and I probably brought it up in this thread before, but the majority of his discussion last week involved the 3-1 collapse being a choke, where he argued with Neil Greenberg and said basically "If you are up 3-1 and you lose 3 straight it is a choke"...while ignoring the fact that 2 out of those 3 games the Caps won could be classified as lucky and the Rangers were always in the games. That's why I'm not buying the choke label.

Kornheiser is usually solid but knows almost nothing about hockey and admits to doing so. In fact, he says that talking hockey on PTI is responsible for "lower ratings". This is a common belief in the media and I really doubt it's true. I for one would like to see the national media cover more hockey instead of less.

/rant

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Not much had to be done to beat last year's "fun". Trotz is okay. BB's team was so much fun to watch though.

I don't think we ever knew what "true" Hunter Hockey was. He played a style I think he was forced to play given the circumstances: inexperienced goaltenders, a team in limbo between styles, injuries (Green and Backstrom).

This year did seem to have more hope until ................... after that 5th game loss. Then the failures of yesteryears started to creep again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad