Pre-Game Talk: No Sympathy for the Lines vs the Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins

#Pens lines at practice: Kunitz-Crosby-Vitale Conner-Jokinen-Neal Kobasew-Sutter-Gibbons Glass-Sill-Adams

Pittsburgh Penguins @penguins

#Pens D-pairs at practice: Orpik-Engelland Scuderi-Niskanen Despres-Bortuzzo Dumoulin-Maatta

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Well, he's got Nisky back with Scuds, and that pairing was pretty solid at the start of the season. Looks like Määttä might be sitting tomorrow.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 12m
Malkn is fully participating in practice in Newark. Looks fine.

Someone will be sent down if he is cleared. Gibbons?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
methinks Maatta could be watching his first game tomorrow. Might do him some good to watch one, he's been walked twice in his past 3 games.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib 12m
Malkn is fully participating in practice in Newark. Looks fine.

Someone will be sent down if he is cleared. Gibbons?

he's not skating with his line, so I don't think he's playing tomorrow

difcog

Oct 24, 2013
Pens Inside Scoop ‏@PensInsideScoop
#Pens PP units - PP1: Jokinen/Malkin, Niskanen, Neal, Kunitz, Crosby. PP2: Despres, Engelland, Gibbons, Sutter, Conner -SK

Me too thinks Maatta might sit tomorrow

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Engo on the second pp, makes me get more and more convinced that Bylsma has this mean streak and just enjoy to do things in spite of conventional wisdom and what other people perceive as no-brainer decisions (case in point: Dupers first line insistence, Engeland's ever increasing role, Gladams untouchability, etc..)

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Engo on the second pp, makes me get more and more convinced that Bylsma has this mean streak and just enjoy to do things in spite of conventional wisdom and what other people perceive as no-brainer decisions (case in point: Dupers first line insistence, Engeland's ever increasing role, Gladams untouchability, etc..)

I keep telling myself that the Olympics are just around the corner ... holding on to the thinnest of hopes HCDB is head coach of Pens no more. And that Shero sheds some of the dead weight on this team *cough*Glass*cough* ASAP

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley

Honestly, I'd probably take Engelland on the PP over Orpik, Scuderi and Bortuzzo which is basically all that's going on in this case. At least Engelland doesn't **** around with the puck and either gets a shot through or dumps it into the corner.

Also, I've been glad to see that Bortuzzo has been seeing basically top unit PK time during this spate of injuries and even after Orpik and Scuderi were reinserted. His size and reach are great in that role.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Will miss the game because like most of America I do not get News Years Eve off. NHL scheduling is horrible.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I keep telling myself that the Olympics are just around the corner ... holding on to the thinnest of hopes HCDB is head coach of Pens no more. And that Shero sheds some of the dead weight on this team *cough*Glass*cough* ASAP

there is absolutely no chance he fires him while we have a double digit lead on our division :laugh:

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Can someone tell me if this game is on just NHL network Canada or both?

I'll be wasting my time trying to watch it if it's on the US NHL network

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't have a problem if Maatta sits out one game, since he has struggled a bit defensively the last few games. He's been pretty good offensively, though, so not having him in there makes us less dangerous offensively...which won't be an issue if Geno returns.

I do have a big problem with Despres sitting out yesterday, though, because he was actually playing very good hockey and sat anyway. They have something against him, and it's not right. If they want to trade him, not playing him doesn't make sense. If they want to keep him, not playing him doesn't make sense. It helps absolutely no one for Despres to sit.

Oh, and there SHOULD be more D-men who could be scratched aside from Maatta, Despres, Bortuzzo or Dumoulin, but Bylsma won't do it.

Engelland needs to play forward from now on, it makes us a better team all around...both up front and at the back, and also in terms of physicality and toughness. It's an absolute no-brainer, and Engelland even looked very good up there in his brief stints.

No-brainers are never no-brainers when it's Dan Bylsma calling the shots, though.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
there is absolutely no chance he fires him while we have a double digit lead on our division :laugh:

Well, I did say 'the thinnest of hopes' :laugh: But if he just moves Glass, I'll be happy for now. Last night wasn't one of Sill's best games, but, then Gladams ... still, Sill can not only easily take Glass' place in the line up, the team would be better for it.

penguins2946*

Yeah, Maatta needs to sit for a game or 2. He looks overworked, a couple extra days off can't hurt.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, Maatta needs to sit for a game or 2. He looks overworked, a couple extra days off can't hurt.

As long as it's for one game, though. If they dominate the Devils, you still bring the kid back in the lineup. Let's not stop doing the smart thing where Olli Maatta is concerned, because up until now there's been literally nothing to complain about in his regard.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
No problem with sitting Maata. The shiny new sheen is starting to wear off for the rookie and the team is best served moving toward Despres being on the 3rd pairing and finding top 4 spot duty once the playoffs start.

Ideally, i'd want a trade to be made and Maata is either the #7 D or 3rd pairing LD for his rookie year in a playoff run.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Well the defensive pairings are better at least. The guys who can move the puck are spread out. I think Maatta needs a few days off. He's been overworked and it shows.

How long into the game will it take for KCN to be put together tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad