No surprise. A goalie is needed.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Adding Bishop isn't going to make this team a contender. Right now the issue is that everyone else needs to get their s*** together.

And why would Tampa trade Bishop right now? They're trying to win. If they did move him right now they'd want someone who can help them. They'd likely want a deal based around Hanzal, or Domi or Duclair.

If we're going to add a goalie, the time to do so would be in the offseason when we know what type of pick we're going to have, and we can buyout Smith.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I almost wish Smith was out long term (not wishing injury on him, just talking timeline here), so we'd go out and make a MAF deal now rather than wait til the offseason to fix the goaltending.

Goalies aren't alone. D still needs work too.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
What would the cost be for Fleury?

And how big of an upgrade over Smith would he be? He's been prone to some pretty awful stretches and our defensive play is quite a bit worse than Pittsburgh.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think the major upgrade is with Fleury's health moreso than abilities. Smitty just can't seem to stay healthy.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Fleury started the season with 6 games in 10 nights and got pulled in game 6. He's already damaged. He had his 2nd concussion of the season last april. I wouldn't invest my money in him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I almost wish Smith was out long term (not wishing injury on him, just talking timeline here), so we'd go out and make a MAF deal now rather than wait til the offseason to fix the goaltending.

Goalies aren't alone. D still needs work too.

What would the cost be for Fleury?

And how big of an upgrade over Smith would he be? He's been prone to some pretty awful stretches and our defensive play is quite a bit worse than Pittsburgh.

I think the major upgrade is with Fleury's health moreso than abilities. Smitty just can't seem to stay healthy.

Fleury started the season with 6 games in 10 nights and got pulled in game 6. He's already damaged. He had his 2nd concussion of the season last april. I wouldn't invest my money in him.

I think MAF is an upgrade over Smith, but he also has health issues. With Smith's injury not serious, I ride out the year with what we have and see who is available in the off season. We are not a contender so time is on our side.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
The one thing that team really needed to start the season was great goaltending; this would have bought some time for the rest of the team to gel and for the coaching staff to figure the rookies out.

It has not happened - Smith was not that good either- but I don't think we will opt to trade for a goalie this year baring a long term Smith's injury.

I suspect Domingue will look better quickly as the team gels and general defensive work improves.

Long term the goaltending situation remains, I just don't think it will be fixed this season.

Karson37

Jul 25, 2012
We are stuck with Smith for the length of his contract. Coyotes only have the below hopes:

1. Smith turns it around and starts playing like he used to and doesn't get injured
2. We trade for a capable goaltender with a low salary cap hit who earns the starting job.

Domingue is a backup goaltender at best, he will never lead a team into the playoffs.
Smith's contract makes him a fixture of this team unless we buy him out. Not even Las Vegas will take him at the expansion draft.

Best hope now is that Smith stays healthy and focused until his contract expires. No way the Coyotes will trade for an expensive starting goalie while Smith contract is still active.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we buy out Smith in the offseason, it's a cap hit of about 1.85 mil per year for 4 years.

I wonder if Pittsburgh would have interest in Smith at max retention? Cap hit of about 2.8 mil for 2 years. Have him back up Murray. And we take 100% of Fleury's money. Obviously add a significant asset to Smith to make the deal in the first place.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
If we buy out Smith in the offseason, it's a cap hit of about 1.85 mil per year for 4 years.

I wonder if Pittsburgh would have interest in Smith at max retention? Cap hit of about 2.8 mil for 2 years. Have him back up Murray. And we take 100% of Fleury's money. Obviously add a significant asset to Smith to make the deal in the first place.

Buying Smith out this offseason would give us a total of 5m dead money for next season, 3.8 for the following two. And we'd be paying Fleury 5.75m. So buying him out would mean we're paying 7.6m for a starting goalie. 50% retention would mean we're paying an average of 8.5m for the next two years.

I guess we are going to only have Domi and Duclair to worry about for the next 2 years but with that much money I'd pass on Fleury. Buy Smith out if we can get Bishop or someone younger. If not roll with Smith/Domingue and hope another opportunity comes up or that Louis develops into a #1.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How much does Bishop command in UFA?

Don't forget we have a ton of dead money coming off the books in Datsyuk and Pronger.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think changing goalies is the solution. Smith needs to get healthy and LD needs to play better. MAF might be better than Smith, but only slightly better. Why would we want his contract? I think Bishop is better but I don't think we should be spending big money or term on a goalie. It is so hit and miss really. Our major problems are team D related. I really think it is guys not playing well and not playing well together.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
How much does Bishop command in UFA?

Don't forget we have a ton of dead money coming off the books in Datsyuk and Pronger.

Holtby signed a 5 year, 6.1 per deal. So I'd expect similar to that. Maybe more if Bishop hits the free market. He's going to be 30 in November so I don't think I'd really want to sign him more than 5 years.

I'd put him in the top 3 or 5 for goalies in the league so I would be fine with paying him 6-6.5m plus Smiths 1.85m.

And yeah, I'm not worried about the cap number, I'm concerned about the actual amount of money we're paying guys. I expect next offseason Chayka will try and add another bad contract that we don't have to pay to gain an asset.

I don't think changing goalies is the solution. Smith needs to get healthy and LD needs to play better. MAF might be better than Smith, but only slightly better. Why would we want his contract? I think Bishop is better but I don't think we should be spending big money or term on a goalie. It is so hit and miss really. Our major problems are team D related. I really think it is guys not playing well and not playing well together.

Yeah I don't want us to make move in-season. But we do need to look at what our long term option is in net. And idk if Louis will turn into a #1.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We've needed a solid (and stable--if there is such a thing) goalie for several years, but the term/money in Smith has held us back. Ideally, I'd like Smith to do well this season, or at least well enough that Vegas might snag him or another team would be willing to trade for him (even if we have to retain some).

A buyout of Smith this season would probably not be a good plan. It would be nice to not add or retain anything else until Ribs is off the books, but I guess I'd be fine if it was Smith (next season). Of course, if Smith is injured long-term this season, we will definitely need to look at adding someone (Domingue/Peters does not bode well to me for any long stretch of time).

I'm not sure we can decide whether or not Domingue will become a #1 goalie at this point, I mean, he is only 24, folks. Sure, he has struggled a bit this season, but he can bounce back with some personal attention by Elkin. If anything, hopefully Domingue can improve and increase his trade value enough to move him at some point in the season. Come to think of it, perhaps Smitty would feel "safer" if we moved Domingue. If it came to this, I'd be fine with Smith/Peters for our goalies the rest of the season (if Smitty can stay healthy) if we acquire a veteran Defensive d-man or someone that can semi-consistently score.

As mentioned, it ain't just the goalies that make up our problems. ALL areas are struggling (offense, defense, goalies, special teams, you name it).

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd take him if we had a roster space and if he wasn't signed through next season. Very underrated goalie.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I can't wait for one of the goalies to get a third win after we allow our over 34 shots against average (worst in league) so we can go back to blaming everyone for not executing (except for the coach, who is of course, unquestionable).

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I can't wait for one of the goalies to get a third win after we allow our over 34 shots against average (worst in league) so we can go back to blaming everyone for not executing (except for the coach, who is of course, unquestionable).

So you were pleased with last nights execution?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
No, as near as I can tell I became displeased with this coach's ability to get his players to execute around the end of 2013-14 after two consequetive years of abject failure to execute. We're a few months away from 2017 now, and despite roster turnover even players who were once able to execute no longer seem capable.

2013 21 wins 51pts .43% DNQ (lockout)
2014 37 wins 89.45% DNQ
2015 24 wins 56 .29 DNQ*
2016 35 wins 78 .42 DNQ
2017 2 wins 4 .25*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad