No respect for the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerpaul*

:shakehead The last concern of the players and owners are the fans. If the fans were smart, when the NHL gets back around to playing, the fans should really try and stay away. This will happen in the small market teams in the States(if there are any left standing) but fans in the bigger markets should try and watch the games on TV from home. Wishfull thinking but probably not realistic. :(

Lanny MacDonald*

Thta's not going to happen. Hockey is like meth. You try it once and you risk getting hooked. You get a slow consistent feed of it and you're a junky for life. Sorry, but all us crackheads will forgive the minute the first game is played and go running back looking to make a score. It sucks, but its the truth.

:eek:

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I don't go to any games myself because I can't afford the tickets but I really don't feel any disrespect because of the lockout. I feel a lot more disrespect for the crappy product they have put out their during the past 10 years and management/players REFUSES to acknowledge that their is a problem.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
You anti-NHLers are full of it, straight up. You'll all be back, you know you will but you just want to make a statement to the NHL, PA that you're a stronger force than either of them combined.

Eventually, you'll cave worse than the PA to save the season.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
leaflover said:
Some will,but you're dreaming if you think *all* fans will come crawling back to throw money at them.

Nope he's right. 85% of real hockey fans will welcome the NHL back with open arms. And then we get to see the hypocrites on this board coming back worshipping the players they have insulted for 4 months.

Going to be good times watching the worm turn

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'll be there, can't wait to BOO McCabe.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If the NHL gets a Cap and their house in order I not only will be back but will support them even more strongly . . . for instance have never bought season tickets before, but am very much considering it right now. If they get a cap will be a likely possibility. Which is a choice for me, and will come at the cost of baseball games seen. See how this works? There is room for growth in small and midsized markets much more than large markets, just give us some idea that our teams are on an equal footing, not guarentee wins, but guarentee and equal chance. And we will spend more on your sport than on sports that seem never to get it.

BTW, I have bought season tickets in sports before, have had them for years in football. Just a choice upo until now. One reason that I am considering season tickets now for hockey is that if hockey does get their act together I anticipate quite a run on tickets in this market, the Pens have a great core coming up, and I would enjoy being there to see it. I suspect that especially with the distaste for baseball in this market, that hockey could see a large large uptick.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
You anti-NHLers are full of it, straight up. You'll all be back, you know you will but you just want to make a statement to the NHL, PA that you're a stronger force than either of them combined.

Eventually, you'll cave worse than the PA to save the season.

I'm sure thats exactly how the league sees it as well.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
leaflover said:
Zero respect.
The people paying the bill have no voice until as you said they want our money again.

I've given up for the most part offering a POV on this CBA, for the "Business" board, which at one time was a friendly exchange of differing opinions, has deteriorated into a soapbox for hyperbole, slander and character assasination.

That said, it still is informative for this poster to ask questions, clarifications from fellow posters.

To wit, what exactly do you mean by "zero respect"?

More specfically, by what definition would the players and owners be showing you, me and others "respect"?

By agreeing to a CBA that neither side approved, just to get the season underway for our viewing/entertainment pleasure?

Respectfully, if any fan truly expects the priority of either side in this CBA to be anything other than hammering out a mutally acceptable labor agreement, it is naive and smacks of martyrdom.

Last edited:

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Trottier said:
Respectfully, if any fan truly expects the priority of either side in this CBA to be anything other than hammering out a mutally acceptable labor agreement, it is naive and smacks of martyrdom.
I have no idea which negociations you've been following but the NHL cba negociating isn't exactly following your mutual ideals.
In fact i'd like you to show me an example of the mutual negociating thats taken place so far.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
As a season ticket holder you are pretty much screwed. You have no options other than to cancel your tickets. Unfortunately if you did cancel your tickets here is what's going to happen:

- you lose your priority for your current seats (which you are usually very satisfied with)
- someone else will purchase those tickets, either individually or as a full/part-time season tickets.
- you lose your priority for playoff tickets.

Very few of us are going to totally turn our backs on NHL hockey for the long-term & never come back. Most of the ideas to 'get back' at the players & owners involves a short-term idea to let them know we are upset. Unfortunately that does not work for Season ticket holders. I wish there was some way to enforce that if game 1 of the season was cancelled, then the entire season would be cancelled. That would force the players and owners to negotiate before the season started, not during the season. We have already heard several times players & owners stating that if they officially cancel this season, they probably won't begin negotiating until the middle of next season. That is the biggest disservice and slap in the face I see from all of the lip-service we have received this season.

My own plans once hockey begins are the following:
- place different names on the back of my jersey (Greedy, Selfish, Hypocrite, Overpaid) and get to the games in time for the pre-game skate and stand with my back to the players)
- go to autograph signings with the same names on the jersey, and once in position for the autograph, I will just turn my back to them and walk away.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
leaflover said:
I have no idea which negociations you've been following but the NHL cba negociating isn't exactly following your mutual ideals.
In fact i'd like you to show me an example of the mutual negociating thats taken place so far.

Based on what exactly are you making that assessment? Surely, anyone who has followed previous CBAs, both sport-related and otherwise, is aware that these events are often torturous and prolonged.

Apparently, a "successful" CBA is one that is reached quickly (hastily) and on the timeframe of fans, not the two parties responsible for a billion dollar industry, correct? That would be the "respect" some are seeking?

Again, the self-importance quotient is on ridiculously high among some in the stands.

The NHL (and its union) owe you and me a solid product, good entertainment, when we choose to purchase it. Nothing more.

They owe it to themselves to hammer out an equitable means for allocating their business' revenue. On their timeframe.

Just my opinion.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Trottier said:
Apparently, a "successful" CBA is one that is reached quickly (hastily) and on the timeframe of fans, not the two parties responsible for a billion dollar industry, correct? That would be "respect"?
I guess we define quickly differently.
The NHL said this CBA was a disaster and then rolled it over.
I'm not suggesting its easy,but when your into February and no mutual negociating has taken place as of yet then the time frame for a hasty decision is long gone.
And to me thats disrespectful to the fans.Others can watch these clowns piss another season away and think its all good,not me.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Trottier said:
I've given up for the most part offering a POV on this CBA, for the "Business" board, which at one time was a friendly exchange of differing opinions, has become deteriorated into a soapbox for hyperbole, slander and character assasination.

Exactly! It has become exactly like the politics board before the election. If you don't hold one of the extreme positions, and you try to be rational and reasonable, be ready to get flamed hard. Its really incredibly rediculous.

Trottier said:

It'll be a hell of a lot easier on everyone if they simply come to terms with the fact that hockey is a business, and as a business which operates with a collective bargaining agreement, there are going to be labor conflicts. With that in your back pocket, it makes it a lot easier to approach the topic rationally. Does it suck? Sure, its a shame life can't be perfect. However, getting all offended and and taking it personally doesn't help anything. Because, despite the fact that you are the customer in this whole bit, it really isn't about you. The players do respect the fans. So do the owners. However, right now its just not something they can afford to think about.

If people kept that in mind, we'd actually get some productive discussion from the various sides. Oh, that and if members of both sides would quit the whole "you have a different opinion than me, so clearly you have the brain of a coke bottle", but thats far too much to ask.

I miss hockey an awful lot. An AWFUL lot. But, I'm not going to take all of this as a personal slight against me. Isn't helpful.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
If people kept that in mind, we'd actually get some productive discussion from the various sides. Oh, that and if members of both sides would quit the whole "you have a different opinion than me, so clearly you have the brain of a coke bottle", but thats far too much to ask.
Not sure if this is a reaction to my discussion with Trottier but i personally felt no disrespect from him,hopefully he didn't either.Some people can discuss and disagree on issues without petty emotions rearing their ugly heads.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
leaflover said:
Not sure if this is a reaction to my discussion with Trottier but i personally felt no disrespect from him,hopefully he didn't either.Some people can discuss and disagree on issues without petty emotions rearing their ugly heads.

No no, nothing about you personally. Just more of an observance of whats happened to the boards over the past handful of months.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
No no, nothing about you personally. Just more of an observance of whats happened to the boards over the past handful of months.
Frustration.
I've written up many a confrontational post only to delete them before posting because i understand we all feel the same,just for different reasons(i have let a couple slip through though ;) ).Basically everyone wants hockey back,some without any consideration of whats important to the business side of hockey and others who appear only to have the business side in mind.Deep down i have no doubt we all realize the NHL was on the highway to hell and needed change,But what changes are needed will once again bring about varying opinions and the inevitable arguements that follow.

It will continue until the NHL is back on the ice,then we can argue about officiating,prospects,trade value and so on.
Hmmmmmm,not a very rosy outlook afterall. ;)

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
leaflover said:
Frustration.
I've written up many a confrontational post only to delete them before posting because i understand we all feel the same,just for different reasons(i have let a couple slip through though ;) ).Basically everyone wants hockey back,some without any consideration of whats important to the business side of hockey and others who appear only to have the business side in mind.Deep down i have no doubt we all realize the NHL was on the highway to hell and needed change,But what changes are needed will once again bring about varying opinions and the inevitable arguements that follow.

It will continue until the NHL is back on the ice,then we can argue about officiating,prospects,trade value and so on.
Hmmmmmm,not a very rosy outlook afterall. ;)

hehe, more or less the case. I never thought I'd miss the "Alfredsson's god...no Alfredsson's an arse" threads so much.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Jaded-Fan said:
If the NHL gets a Cap and their house in order I not only will be back but will support them even more strongly . . . for instance have never bought season tickets before, but am very much considering it right now. If they get a cap will be a likely possibility. Which is a choice for me, and will come at the cost of baseball games seen. See how this works? There is room for growth in small and midsized markets much more than large markets, just give us some idea that our teams are on an equal footing, not guarentee wins, but guarentee and equal chance. And we will spend more on your sport than on sports that seem never to get it.

BTW, I have bought season tickets in sports before, have had them for years in football. Just a choice upo until now. One reason that I am considering season tickets now for hockey is that if hockey does get their act together I anticipate quite a run on tickets in this market, the Pens have a great core coming up, and I would enjoy being there to see it. I suspect that especially with the distaste for baseball in this market, that hockey could see a large large uptick.
u have steelers season tickets? :cry: I wish I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad