No player in the NHL utilizes high-speed like MacKinnon and its not even close..

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I would be interested to know who the slowest player in the league is... who has the least bursts of speed and who has the lowest average speed on the ice

pont

Jul 1, 2019
I would be interested to know who the slowest player in the league is... who has the least bursts of speed and who has the lowest average speed on the ice
Chances are pretty good its Ryan Johansen going away.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I was just looking at the skating stats for NHL EDGE....lets take a minute to appreciate just how ridiculous MacKinnon is in relentlessly using high speed for his attack.

22+ MPH bursts:

1. MacKinnon - 118
2. McDavid - 65
3. Necas - 49
4. Hintz - 44
5. Tippett - 44

20+ MPH bursts

1. MacKinnon - 706
2. McDavid - 452
3. Point - 434
4. Hintz - 400
5. Necas - 362

This is absolute insanity. I think everyone knows McDavid is faster and still the best skater in the NHL, but there is no denying that MacKinnon brings speed at a frequency that nobody, even McDavid can touch. He literally laps the field. Almost twice as many 22+mph as McDavid this year - and 2.5X more than anyone else. 50% more 20 mph burst than McDavid even. Its crazy.

Even if we look at McDavid the last 2 years healthy - he had 81 and 89 bursts over 22mph. MacKinnon is absolutely blowing that out of the water. Now we only have this data for 3 seasons so its hard to get a picture of the past, but there's a good chance there has never been a player in NHL history bring this much speed this often. Maybe Bure?

I actually Nate is faster in a straight line

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Weird that he almost doubled his previous 2 years stats. It's not like he got faster

Must be the way Colorado plays the game on their zone entries

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
With his attention to health, diet and training, I don't think that'll be a problem for a very long time. Mike Gartner was around 37 when he set the fastest skater record in 1996.
I think oilers fans are just saying it cuz thats what they have heard about mcdavid forever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad