GDT: No one else is doing it, so I guess I will - Canes @ Avs

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With matchups being rough on the road and even worse with our injury problems, this was going to be a rough game.

Reactions: Tryamw

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
F*** this road trip.

IMG_2339.gif

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Early season disappointment is no bellwether, FWIW. Washington 2018 got off to a lethargic start in October/November. Tampa 20 was in 11th place in the East 34 games in. Pittsburgh 09, L.A. 12, Pittsburgh 16 and St. Louis 19 all fired coaches in season.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
not a single reg season game has gone by where we haven’t allowed at least 3 goals

13 allowed in the last 5 periods

the signs were there in the preseason as well tbh
The pre-season games were meaningless, because they were full of non-NHL guys.

Here's the D for the pre-season games.

5-2 win vs. TB: Orlov, DeAngelo, Chatfield, Beaulieu, Coghlan, Jones
4-1 win vs. FL: Burns, Skjei, Slavin, Pesce, Fensore Mendel
4-2 loss vs. FL: Orlov, DeAngelo, Honka, Beaulieu, Seeley, Montgomery
4-0 loss vs. TB: Chatfield, Coghlan, Fensore, Heimosalmi, Jones, Mendel
5-1 loss vs NSH: Beaulieu, Coghlan, Fensore, Honka, Jones, Mendel
4-1 win vs. NSH: Slavin, Burns, Pesce, Skjei, Chatifield, Orlov, DeAngelo

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
this image is why our season has started so poorly:

View attachment 756074
look at this in a positive light.

I'm very confident the Canes will figure out the defense and PK stuff. They have way too long and good of a track record under Rod. Just like last year where it took a couple of months with the new faces.

The Canes are 1st in GF WITHOUT Svechnikov and missing Aho for half of the games. They are getting the secondary scoring from TT, KK, and Jarvis that we missed the last couple of seasons.

I'm not worried. They'll be coming back from their west cost road trip with a .500 overall record. Rangers, Devils and Pens aren't blowing the doors off yet either.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
look at this in a positive light.

I'm very confident the Canes will figure out the defense and PK stuff. They have way too long and good of a track record under Rod. Just like last year where it took a couple of months with the new faces.

The Canes are 1st in GF WITHOUT Svechnikov and missing Aho for half of the games. They are getting the secondary scoring from TT, KK, and Jarvis that we missed the last couple of seasons.

I'm not worried. They'll be coming back from their west cost road trip with a .500 overall record. Rangers, Devils and Pens aren't blowing the doors off yet either.
Good to be optimistic given how Early it is.

fwiw: a counter— I believe that once they start to play defense the goal scoring will lighten up too.

Our goal tending is a concern too. Raanti, Kooch, Freddie have all been bad.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Good to be optimistic given how Early it is.
I don't think of it as optimistic. I think of it as realistic based on how this team has played the last few seasons and that they are playing without Svech, Andersen and Aho recently.
fwiw: a counter— I believe that once they start to play defense the goal scoring will lighten up too.
Yes, it very likely will have an impact on the goal scoring. But it's good to know that the scoring is there and "should" get better when Svech and Aho return.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I don't think of it as optimistic. I think of it as realistic based on how this team has played the last few seasons and that they are playing without Svech, Andersen and Aho recently.

Yes, it very likely will have an impact on the goal scoring. But it's good to know that the scoring is there and "should" get better when Svech and Aho return.
I was worried that our early season would be challenging given the long run we had in the spring, the age of our team is now one of the League’s oldest (plus players are going to be smarter about exerting too much energy in the regular season), our goal tending and the d with tda in 3rd pair.

Put me in the camp that is worried re: Svetch this year. We may get him back soon but it might be next season before he is performing at his higher standard before injury. Aho I expect to be back unless he has an injury that is limiting going forward.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

They Said It...​

Rod Brind'Amour on what needs to change...
"Special teams is a big part of it. Right now our [penalty] kill is just atrocious. Everything is just going in. We're going to have to adjust that, obviously... We've got to get 20 guys on the same page. We've got a couple of guys that just aren't quite there yet. That's my job, to bring them all together. When we do that, it looks right."
Jordan Martinook offering his perspective...
"
We're trying to build momentum and throughout this year we've got going a little bit, then we shoot ourselves in the foot."

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I was worried that our early season would be challenging given the long run we had in the spring, the age of our team is now one of the League’s oldest (plus players are going to be smarter about exerting too much energy in the regular season), our goal tending and the d with tda in 3rd pair.

Put me in the camp that is worried re: Svetch this year. We may get him back soon but it might be next season before he is performing at his higher standard before injury. Aho I expect to be back unless he has an injury that is limiting going forward.
That’s completely your prerogative to be worried. I’m not.

Many on this board overreact to early season struggles. Just look at the GDT last November after the team had 2 wins in 10 games, and had just lost to AZ.

Canes have some things to fix, no doubt and need to get healthy. It may take longer than a few games, like it did last year, but I’m confident they’ll make the playoffs. As we saw with FLA last year and STL in 2018, I’d rather have the Canes peak in April/May/June than in oct/Nov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad