1697992174778.png

• Wow
Reactions: skipnjump

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Penalty kill that in recent years was close to 90% is down dramatically:
View attachment 756278
There's no question the PK has been bad so far. No argument there.

IIRC, many were lamenting the PK last season early in the year, and then from Mid November on, it was the best in the NHL running at 86.3% and a 91.4% NET PK% over the final 66 games (vs. 78% and up until that point).

Not having Aho hurts the PK right now, as he's a threat to score SH and can keep other PP's more honest. As does not having Andersen. Even with his flaws, he's better than Raanta or Kochetkov. The D isn't performing as well either right now and making too many uncharacteristic mistakes and Staal has struggled at the dot on the PK. I expect it to improve just like it did last year. May take some time though.

The fact that Detroit is at nearly 50% on the PP and St. Louis nearly at 50% on the PK should tell you not to put a lot of stock into these early season percentages, because they're going to even out eventually.

Amen.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

IIRC, many were lamenting the PK last season early in the year, and then from Mid November on, it was the best in the NHL running at 86.3% and a 91.4% NET PK% over the final 66 games (vs. 78% and up until that point).

Not having Aho hurts the PK right now, as he's a threat to score SH and can keep other PP's more honest. As does not having Andersen. Even with his flaws, he's better than Raanta or Kochetkov. The D isn't performing as well either right now and making too many uncharacteristic mistakes and Staal has struggled at the dot on the PK. I expect it to improve just like it did last year. May take some time though.

Amen.
Of course, 6 games are not reflective of probable season ending stats but they DO tell a story on why the abysmal start and thus the graphics

Last night’s Dom card does tell a story too:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Of course, 6 games are not reflective of probable season ending stats but they DO tell a story on why the abysmal start and thus the graphics

Last night’s Dom card does tell a story too:

So if I'm reading it correctly, according to that graph Noesen was clearly the Canes best player, Slavin had the worst night defensively but also one of the best nights offensively, and close to the reverse for Skjei. I'm telling ya, this portends a disaster a of Biblical proportions! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

MisterDobz

Unauthorized User
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
That’s completely your prerogative to be worried. I’m not.

Many on this board overreact to early season struggles. Just look at the GDT last November after the team had 2 wins in 10 games, and had just lost to AZ.

Canes have some things to fix, no doubt and need to get healthy. It may take longer than a few games, like it did last year, but I’m confident they’ll make the playoffs. As we saw with FLA last year and STL in 2018, I’d rather have the Canes peak in April/May/June than in oct/Nov.
Dude, you’re so apathetic! But I agree with you.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015

Amen.
I’d honestly like to see them rest guys who aren’t 100%. Go into the season with an abundance of caution.

Last season Tripp harped on and on about certain players willingness to play through minor injuries. And I think that’s kind of a big part of a Rod coached team.

That’s mentality is cool and all but I would much rather see this squad sacrifice some regular season success if it means going into the playoffs 100% healthy, well rested and ready to kick some ass.

Another division championship would be nice but the ultimate goal is Lord Stanley’s Cup, give yourself the best odds of making that happen. This group already knows how to win, they’re ready. And being healthy and well rested when that time comes could just be a big part of the answer to winning the whole damn thing.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oooooooffffff.

I was about 12. An indirect kick occurred and the other team wasn’t paying attention. I was trying to hurry my teammate to kick the ball to me. They were about 12-15 feet away. Im standing by myself, they kicked it, and right in the ding ding.
Still better than what happened to me in legion baseball. I'm playing 3rd base and go to dive after a line drive that looks it might be reachable in the gap between myself and short. The ball... Doesn't quite end up going to that gap and drops dead right in front of me as an outcome of the play, that's all I'm going to say.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
I don't think tomorrows practice is going to be a good one. Brindamour is likely going to blow a gasket on them and when he says something the team responds.

Fortunately, NJ and the Rangers aren't playing that well. Those are really the only teams I'm worried about especially NJ since they chased our tails last season and we only won the division on the last day of the season.

But, another slug fest last night.

This is not going to continue as the season goes on. The Canes will get better; only question is when.

A 2-3 road trip is not good but we didn't have Aho or Svech and we haven't had Svech yet this season.

If we can just tread water until we get those guys back and healthy I like our chances as the season goes on.

Plus, we have 2 more long road trips this season (A 5 game road trip through Canada and also another 6 game road trip later in the season).

And our problem isn't the goalies. It's our defense in front of the goalies. Too many breakdowns and anyone notice it's always one bad period that dooms this team? it's like the team plays well for 40 minutes and then have a huge brain cramp in one period.

Really weird.

Everything going on right now is fixable. I guarantee you that Orlov will be a + player by season's end.

Mentioning him because everyone is talking about his -10.

Come on everyone, we all know he's better than that.

The way the team is playing right now (all around) is hurting him and I'm surprised that Jordan Staal can't seem to win a PK faceoff anymore. That in itself is unusual.

But regardless the offense and defensive issues will tighten up (we will score less and give up less).

Also, scoring 4 vs Colorado's goalie whom has been lights out this year was a positive. I thought Colorado was going to steam roll us and they really didn't clobber us. Yeah, they won but we scored 4 goals against their goalie whom had a less than 1 GAA when the game started.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Oooooooffffff.

I was about 12. An indirect kick occurred and the other team wasn’t paying attention. I was trying to hurry my teammate to kick the ball to me. They were about 12-15 feet away. Im standing by myself, they kicked it, and right in the ding ding.
Something similar happened to me in gym class in high school except it was girl pushing 6’ and 350lbs. Hadn’t seen her do more than tap it previously. The ball wrapped around my face and I saw stars for a bit haha. Lesson learned.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't think tomorrows practice is going to be a good one. Brindamour is likely going to blow a gasket on them and when he says something the team responds.

Fortunately, NJ and the Rangers aren't playing that well. Those are really the only teams I'm worried about especially NJ since they chased our tails last season and we only won the division on the last day of the season.

But, another slug fest last night.

This is not going to continue as the season goes on. The Canes will get better; only question is when.

A 2-3 road trip is not good but we didn't have Aho or Svech and we haven't had Svech yet this season.

If we can just tread water until we get those guys back and healthy I like our chances as the season goes on.

Plus, we have 2 more long road trips this season (A 5 game road trip through Canada and also another 6 game road trip later in the season).

And our problem isn't the goalies. It's our defense in front of the goalies. Too many breakdowns and anyone notice it's always one bad period that dooms this team? it's like the team plays well for 40 minutes and then have a huge brain cramp in one period.

Really weird.

Everything going on right now is fixable. I guarantee you that Orlov will be a + player by season's end.

Mentioning him because everyone is talking about his -10.

Come on everyone, we all know he's better than that.

The way the team is playing right now (all around) is hurting him and I'm surprised that Jordan Staal can't seem to win a PK faceoff anymore. That in itself is unusual.

But regardless the offense and defensive issues will tighten up (we will score less and give up less).

Also, scoring 4 vs Colorado's goalie whom has been lights out this year was a positive. I thought Colorado was going to steam roll us and they really didn't clobber us. Yeah, they won but we scored 4 goals against their goalie whom had a less than 1 GAA when the game started.

Do we really KNOW Orlov is better than that? I mean maybe...

But also maybe he's Kaberle 2.0

It happened before, it can happen again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad