Prospect Info: No NHL Contract for Gilmour

TkachuckNotTkaczuk

Jan 21, 2015
Seattle
I think his game really came around this past season. Unless we are worried about the number of contracts going forward I don't see it as much of a gamble. Low ball him and just see exactly what's there. I don't know, he really didn't seem to have many weaknesses in his game other than size. Will admit I haven't obviously seen him as much as the Flames organization but when I did he didn't dissappoint me in any way.

Maybe the drafting of Andersson and Killington, both smaller sized but uber skilled, shut the door within the Franchise for other smaller dmen?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think his game really came around this past season. Unless we are worried about the number of contracts going forward I don't see it as much of a gamble. Low ball him and just see exactly what's there. I don't know, he really didn't seem to have many weaknesses in his game other than size. Will admit I haven't obviously seen him as much as the Flames organization but when I did he didn't dissappoint me in any way.

Maybe the drafting of Andersson and Killington, both smaller sized but uber skilled, shut the door within the Franchise for other smaller dmen?

There are only so many spots in Stockton. If we waive (and he clears) Wotherspoon after training camp our AHL depth for defensemen already has eight prospect bodies that you have to cycle. Plus your Dustin Stevensons and Aaron Johnsons. And then the year after you want to have room to bring in AOM and Hickey.

I don't think the ECHL would have been the right fit for Gilmour due to his age and NCAA experience. It was just a numbers game.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think Andersson is small at all.

It is a numbers thing though, it's too bad because he probably deserves one but Gilmour's best opportunity to play is likely with another team.

Also, I doubt AOM will ever play in NA.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To the AHL?

The Flames like Kanzig, they have consistently given him extra of attention in regards to helping him develop. The even traded for him to bring him to the Hitmen this season just to keep a close eye on him. What has AOM done or what have the Flames done that remotely indicates that AOM will be coming over?

I have my doubts that he would be an upgrade on Sieloff. Frankly, I'd be shocked to see him ever be signed by the Flames.

moon*

Not really surprising he hasn't done much to deserve a signing, especially with how crowded the Flames are at the prospect level with defensemen.

I think he got a little more hype than most guys of his pedigree/draft position because he played with Jankowski and Gillies but if you look his body of work it is pretty pedistrian.

As for the sidetrack AOM and Kanzig topic. Neither should ever play a game with the Flames, having them in the AHL is a stretch. I think Kanzig has a better shot only because staying in Sweden makes a lot of sense for AOM for on and off ice reasons.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Kanzig's greatest weakness right now is skating, no? I've heard he's been working with skating coaches. I think I've heard from some individuals who went to dev camps that Kanzig is much better on his skates than previous seasons but still has a ways to go. Those are good signs. Kanzig is also 21. It's not like he's 29 or anything.

But I agree. Gilmore may not get more than an AHL deal because there's no room. However, I have no doubt there will be conversations with him and he will be sent off with class and abandoned without closure.

AOM may come because of Kylington and Anderson being here but IMO it's a long shot. Rafikov I am thinking might come soon? But I am not sure. I am pretty sure there is regular communication with him.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Flames like Kanzig, they have consistently given him extra of attention in regards to helping him develop. The even traded for him to bring him to the Hitmen this season just to keep a close eye on him. What has AOM done or what have the Flames done that remotely indicates that AOM will be coming over?

I have my doubts that he would be an upgrade on Sieloff. Frankly, I'd be shocked to see him ever be signed by the Flames.

I have my doubts Kanzig would be an upgrade over Chris Breen.

AOM has NHL written all over him. Bottom pair only, but NHLer. I'm not even confident Sieloff and Kanzig will ever get that "first NHL game at the end of the season" that John Ramage got. And I'm a Sieloff fan and would love to keep him developing until he's 25 and see what happens.

Kanzig's greatest weakness right now is skating, no?

No, it's actually not skating, though he's not the fastest either. It's really just... playing hockey. The puck is a grenade to him. I probably have comparable puck/passing skills to him.

moon*

When I have seen Kanzig play it is more than just skating. He is slow in his movement overall, i.e. slow to turn, slow going side to side, slow crossing over. Straight ahead he is actually pretty decent from reports.

Maybe skating instructors can fix that but it was really bad at the junior level.

For also he did not have a great hockey sense or positioning to overcome that. I haven't seen him enough to say he has bad hockey IQ but he was beaten a lot and lost his man a lot.

I don't think there is much hope there at all but guys have surprised before so I guess he could improve a lot. But it is a tough road to make it when you have the non-existent offensive abilities he has and struggles defensively.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kanzig has more size than AOM and is a better skater. I am not going to comment much on who is a better defender because most of my viewings of AOM have been from games this past WJC's. But I do know that Kanzig is no slouch defensively and he uses his body very well against the opposition.

Frankly, both dman would play a similar role for the Flames. Being that our blueline in Stockton is so crowded, I think it's only logical to conclude that the Flames would go with the player they know and have watched much more.

As and far as AOM being an NHL player, I guess Wotherspoon will be a top pairing dman any day now as well.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Kanzig has more size than AOM and is a better skater. I am not going to comment much on who is a better defender because most of my viewings of AOM have been from games this past WJC's. But I do know that Kanzig is no slouch defensively and he uses his body very well against the opposition.

Ollas Maatsson's breakout pass alone puts him miles, miles, miles ahead of Kanzig. He is a pro hockey player, not a refrigerator.

As and far as AOM being an NHL player, I guess Wotherspoon will be a top pairing dman any day now as well.

AOM and Wotherspoon are very similar levels of prospect. Though Maatsson is meaner and nastier and bigger and stronger.. but again all I'm saying is that he's a low ceiling, high floor player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ollas Maatsson's breakout pass alone puts him miles, miles, miles ahead of Kanzig. He is a pro hockey player, not a refrigerator.

AOM and Wotherspoon are very similar levels of prospect. Though Maatsson is meaner and nastier and bigger and stronger.. but again all I'm saying is that he's a low ceiling, high floor player.

If he is ever signed by the Flames, I'll be the first to tell you that I was wrong and you were right. But I don't think that AOM or Rafikov will ever sign a contract with the Flames.

Anyways, I'll leave the rest of my comments in here to be about Gilmour.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

IMO it's too early to discount Kanzig. He is bigger than AOM by about 3 inches and AOM isn't small either at 6"4. Both are DD types and there are some fans drooling at an opportunity to revive Regehr's tunnel of death, let alone two players who might be able to do that.

I'm not saying Kanzig and AOM might hae any ceiling higher than bottom pairing guys in the NHL (but it's possible). But with such possibilities of having some big punishing guys on the back end, I'd keep an eye on them over undersized guys. With that in mind, it's far easier to see why we don't have room for Gilmore especially with guys like Anderson and Kylington already in the system.

Gilmore would probably fit great on many AHL teams and teams could see if they want to bring him up. But harping numbers again, we have too many D. It's unfortunate, but that's how it goes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like Gilmour and thought may have earned a contract, he has been quite good for the past couple years but since he was drafted we have added a bunch of defensemen with a pedigree than him which made his uphill battle even more difficult. I imagine we will hear the same about Matt DeBlouw before August 15th.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I have to agree with OKG. AOM is probably our most under-rated prospect. He's not as big as Kanzig. But hes just better art every other facet of the game. He is an underrated skater. And he's mean. Willing to throw his 6'5" frame. Bottom pairing D, but great on PK, solid 5 on 5. Sweden missed him big time after he went down. I could see him being a Roman Polak type.

I mean we had this lengthy discussion about adding more physicality. Soooo lets get this kid a contract after next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad