No need to waste picks on goalies...

Pyke*

http://thehockeywriters.com/late-round-larceny/

What do you think? Are goalies worth the pick?

They're definitely worth a pick, maybe not a top 10 pick most of the time, but still.

Even at 25% success rate (with success being defined as consistent starter) for the top 2 rounds - that's not bad for a position where only one can start consistently.

Plus, what's the success rate like in later rounds? Absent a few lucky picks, pretty dismal.

I think teams are still going to need to burn picks in the 31st to 120th range (2nd-4th round), but will likely avoid 1st round picks more.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't buy the goalie phobia when it comes to the draft. Yes, it's a gamble, even more of a gamble then a player but if you like the guy and think he's worth the risk, do it.

People always bring up the late-goalie-steal argument. Well guess what? That happens with players all the time too.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

It's worth the investment risk in the later rounds.

Having 3 years of protected possession of an 18-22 year old goaltender is pretty valuable.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Tough debate.

On one hand would Carolina won a cup if they didn't "waste" a pick on Cam Ward, on the other hand if you look at alot of the top goaltenders int he NHL how many were picked in the 3rd round and beyond.

I think going by percentages it's much easier to find a star goalie later on in the draft(ie the Diamond int he rough) then it is to find a star forward

Erza Scarlet

following the mantle
Jun 9, 2011
Requiem
I don't think goalies should be ranked on HF or on reports because of how unpredictable goaltending is and these European signings tend to give just as good results than waiting on the kid.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
I don't think goalies should be ranked on HF or on reports because of how unpredictable goaltending is and these European signings tend to give just as good results than waiting on the kid.

They should still be ranked, but their rankings shouldn't be as concrete as player rankings are.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
As a fan and believer in Carey Price, I still say no, don't burn the pick.

It worked out for us (so far) instead of picking Brule, but most of the time it doesn't.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As a fan and believer in Carey Price, I still say no, don't burn the pick.

It worked out for us (so far) instead of picking Brule, but most of the time it doesn't.

Kopitar was another choice though they could have made

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Here is a list of goalies and where they were picked. I will use the top 10 goalies in GAA, Save Percentage and Wins(and if they appear in 2 or more categories I only count them once and they have to play 25+ games to be counted)

Top 10: Loungo, Price, Fleury
1st Round: Ward, Schnieder, Varlamov
2nd Round: Howard, Bryzgalov, Crawford
3rd Round: Quick
4th+ Round: Kiprusoff, Lundqvist, Thomas, Rinne, Vokoun
Free Agent: Hiller

*note: Ryan Miller wasn't top 10 in any category this year but is another late round pick

on the flip side here is Forwards(I use top 20 in points, top 10 in goals and assists)

Top 10: Sedin, Sedin, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Selanne, Staal, Toews, Marleau, Vanek, Kane, Ryan
1st Round: Perry, Iginla, Giroux, Kesler, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Carter, Briere, Grabner
2nd Round: Erikson, Ribeiro
3rd Round: B. Richards, Sharp
4th+ Round: Zetterberg
Free Agent: St. Louis

*note: Datsyuk was injured for 26 games probably would have made the list in 4th+ rounder

basically looking at this list, the group of goalies taken in the first rounder is slightly better then goalies taken in round 2 and after, but in the case of forwards first round forwards are a hell of alot better then ones taken later

It's really hard to rate defensemen based on stats but I will do it on the basis of top 20 scoring and top 10 Time on Ice

Top 10: Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Doughty, Whitney, Phaneuf, Suter
1st Round: Seabrook, Burns, Karlsson, Staal
2nd Round: Weber, Goligoski, Keith
3rd Round: Lidstrom, Letang, Chara
4th+ Round: Visnovsky, Yandle, Byfuglien, Wisniewski, Enstrom, Ehrhoff, Kaberle, Liles
Free Agent: Boyle, Rafalski

In general it looks like the best drafting strategy is draft forwards first round, defensemen second round and later and European goalies after the 3rd.

Last edited:

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
A similar analogy is baseball teams drafting high-schoolers and more specifically pitchers. They continue to do so even when the return yielded is substantially lower, for the most part, than college, positional players.

Of course, i realize the many differences betwen baseball and hockey draft.

Prospects and draft analyst at The Hockey Writers (THW): http://thehockeywriters.com/author/cralph/

The Next Ones (from the files of The Hockey Spy): http://hockeyspy.blogspot.com/

• Twitter: @ChrisRalphTHW

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I would never burn a pick in the top sixty on them, but I think you need one from every draft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
3 of the 6 Cup winning goalies since the lockout were 1st round picks. Chris Osgood was a 3rd round pick.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Having a very long development path diminishes the value of a drafted player. Look at Cory Schneider. He's just broken through and there is basically a 1-2 year window to either decide to make him your starter or trade him.

Skaters are easier to project and develop faster (especially forwards). That's why I prefer picking them in the first round over goalies.

zeus3007*

I wouldn't take one until the third round, unless it is a sure fire can't miss prospect. Even then, I am sure I wouldn't burn a first rounder on one.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I just dont think theres much difference between most goalies. There are maybe 5 elites, but even those guys are not exactly consistent. Hell mr everything goalie tim thomas pretty much lost his job last season. Goalies 6-25 are probably all pretty much interchangeable. Then you have 5 or less that probably shouldnt be starting but there are probably 5 backups who are solid enough to be starters.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Tuukka Rask, Cory Schneider, Carey Price, Marc-Andre Fleury, Jon Bernier.

It's much easier to find a late-round goalie who can develop into a starter than it is with other positions, but the elite level talents will still rise to the top, and you're gonna have to pay a 1st round pick if you want one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad