No more Ralph Strangis

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Stunning. He and Razor are the best in the league, and Ralph's nasally voice has been the voice of hockey for as long as I've known there was something called hockey and that it HAD a voice. Never going to forget that breathless screaming from June 1999.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=764250&navid=DL|DAL|home

My timeline isn’t your timeline – I know that. You wish I’d be here forever. I would if I were you. I always wanted Ray Scott to do the Vikings and Al Shaver to call the Stars games forever. See how it works – Al has the chair – then another guy has the chair – then I have the chair – then another guy has the chair. It ain’t our chair to begin with.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
This is terrible... It's gonna be superawkward next season watching Stars broadcasts.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Damn. Hope he enjoys whatever he's got planned after this.

He'll certainly be missed here.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
I wonder who his replacement will be at least we will still have razor and his awesome quotes :laugh:

Gonna miss Ralph though that first game without him just isn't going to feel right.

PrairieDayz

Mar 22, 2015
Dallas
Can't imagine Razor without ralphie...what a pair....big loss for Stars hockey fans.....Ralph was top game caller.....

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Ahh, change is good, but good luck to Ralph. We did enjoy him for many years.

Time to focus on the replacement. I don't see any of the pre-game guys like Sevryn, Barnes, Luds as play by play guys, but I bet one of them ends up getting a crack at it, or maybe they will rotate them in for trials before deciding. If they want to promote from within, someone will have to teach one of those guys the job.

Maybe another local broadcaster, like Josh B, Chuck Cooperstein, etc?

Or, do they go outside and/or outside the box? Perhaps a small chance they go with the first female play by play announcer from somewhere? (not Ali.....)

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Maybe another local broadcaster, like Josh B

Oh god, please no. I can barely stand him on the analyst desk. I think I'd start watching games muted if he became the PbP guy.

Didn't Severyn fill in for Ralph a couple times in the past few years?

Stargazer1111

Oct 19, 2014
Ahh, change is good, but good luck to Ralph. We did enjoy him for many years.

Time to focus on the replacement. I don't see any of the pre-game guys like Sevryn, Barnes, Luds as play by play guys, but I bet one of them ends up getting a crack at it, or maybe they will rotate them in for trials before deciding. If they want to promote from within, someone will have to teach one of those guys the job.

Maybe another local broadcaster, like Josh B, Chuck Cooperstein, etc?

Or, do they go outside and/or outside the box? Perhaps a small chance they go with the first female play by play announcer from somewhere? (not Ali.....)

Very unlikely that any of that happens. They'll go for the best in the business that they can find. No way any of the former Stars will cut it. I remember Ludwig filling in as a color guy a few times several years ago and he was awful.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hopefully it is no one from your intermission crew...I've watched it a couple times and it's like public access TV...

Maybe try to lure Florida's guy...they can't be paying him too, too much given the ratings and he's a pretty decent young guy that might want to be heard in more than 3,000 homes on a Thursday night...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
TC and Jake talked about it briefly on the latest episode of IJB ... was there beef between Ralph and Razor? Did they not get along? Google is failing me ... anyone have a link to this in writing?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
TC and Jake talked about it briefly on the latest episode of IJB ... was there beef between Ralph and Razor? Did they not get along? Google is failing me ... anyone have a link to this in writing?

I don't think we'll ever know about their dynamic. I'm sure they were friends and were comfortable with each other - we wouldn't have had such great broadcasts if they weren't - but how close they really were probably won't ever be known to the public. If I had to guess, they just didn't always see eye to eye, maybe with regards to the organization, maybe just with personal issues.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I thought it was well known they didn't hang out off the clock?

Pure speculation, but a few weeks ago on MvsW, Marek said there was a broadcast team that didn't get along well. He didn't get more specific than Western Conference, but he said it would be surprising to hear which one.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006

That joke was the first thing that came to mind. It's clear it wouldn't happen though as a season after she got a shot at a studio gig, they dropped her back down to reporter.

Timani

I thought it was well known they didn't hang out off the clock?

Pure speculation, but a few weeks ago on MvsW, Marek said there was a broadcast team that didn't get along well. He didn't get more specific than Western Conference, but he said it would be surprising to hear which one.

I believe part of it involved Ralph's past struggles with sobriety, but don't think that was all of it. Also, last season, Ralph had to really battle mgmt to get his money, AFTER Razor already had his, so the Stars picked their horse, and it wasn't Ralph. Perhaps some sour feelings if that had been happening for a little while.

Anyone with real facts, feel free to set me straight if that is incorrect. I don't even remember how long ago I heard that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad