No more Canada bashing now, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Man everyone is so bent out of shape on this board. Yeah I'll admit that I started the post and pardon me if there is a little arrogance there but I think as Canadians we deserve the right to some for a change. Hockey is our game and we are the best at it. If an American admits he's they are the best at Basketball no one gets bent out of shape. There might have been a time when we were at the same page as Russia back in the late '70s early 80's (eg. the Challenge Cup and '81 CC) but its clear that we have cemented ourselves as #1 status. I have just been tired over the years of people whether they are Canadian or not to bash the way we play our game. Its just nice to see those people eat their own words now after there foot is out of their mouth.
I too am looking forward to the World Cup and I believe on paper we are the best for sure. I personally think Russia is 2nd followed by either USA or Sweden. But it hasn't been decided yet of course. So look if one of you guys can beat us in September then my hat is seriously off to you because this will be a monster team with no holes or weaknesses.

leafaholix*

1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Czech Republic
4. Slovakia
5. The rest.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Leafaholix,
I'd argue that Sweden has better depth than Slovakia, but then again I am not 100% sure what you are ranking. The WCup-rosters?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Predatore said:
Leafaholix,
I'd argue that Sweden has better depth than Slovakia, but then again I am not 100% sure what you are ranking. The WCup-rosters?

That's what I know, because there is no way in hell Slovakia's World Cup roster is better than the U.S.'s, much less Sweden's.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
The Canadians said they were no. 1 even after Nagano ...

anyway what can you expect to hear on a North America based forum? That Sweden is the best? :lol: Or Russia?

Here's my top 6 anyway :

1. Canada / Russia (tie)
3. Sweden
4. Czech Republic
5. USA
6. Finland

But in my opinion Canada and USA still have to prove they can win away from home. Rendez-vous in 2006.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Big Phil said:
Man everyone is so bent out of shape on this board. Yeah I'll admit that I started the post and pardon me if there is a little arrogance there but I think as Canadians we deserve the right to some for a change. Hockey is our game and we are the best at it. If an American admits he's they are the best at Basketball no one gets bent out of shape. There might have been a time when we were at the same page as Russia back in the late '70s early 80's (eg. the Challenge Cup and '81 CC) but its clear that we have cemented ourselves as #1 status. I have just been tired over the years of people whether they are Canadian or not to bash the way we play our game. Its just nice to see those people eat their own words now after there foot is out of their mouth.
I too am looking forward to the World Cup and I believe on paper we are the best for sure. I personally think Russia is 2nd followed by either USA or Sweden. But it hasn't been decided yet of course. So look if one of you guys can beat us in September then my hat is seriously off to you because this will be a monster team with no holes or weaknesses.

Please don't forget that ALL Canada Cups + World Cup have been played in Canada. Challenge Cup in NY and 2002 Olympics on US soil too.

But you know it's a funny situation, because if Canada or US hadn't won the last Olympics, there wouldn't be any chance of seeing NHL stars at the Olympics again.

Hockey is business, and it's a north American business since NHL is based there. Period.

KariyaIsGod*

wilka91 said:
Please don't forget that ALL Canada Cups + World Cup have been played in Canada. Challenge Cup in NY and 2002 Olympics on US soil too.

But you know it's a funny situation, because if Canada or US hadn't won the last Olympics, there wouldn't be any chance of seeing NHL stars at the Olympics again.

Hockey is business, and it's a north American business since NHL is based there. Period.

What about the World Juniors?

We must also remember that Canada has only played in 2 Olympics with it's actual squad and they one one. So that's pretty good.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
wilka91 said:

anyway what can you expect to hear on a North America based forum? That Sweden is the best? :lol: Or Russia?

Here's my top 6 anyway :

1. Canada / Russia (tie)
3. Sweden
4. Czech Republic
5. USA
6. Finland

But in my opinion Canada and USA still have to prove they can win away from home. Rendez-vous in 2006.

And exactly which specific recent accomplishments put Russia in a tie for first? Above the US, Sweden and Czech Rep.?

Vic Rattlehead*

wilka91 said:

Here's my top 6 anyway :

1. Canada / Russia (tie)
3. Sweden
4. Czech Republic
5. USA
6. Finland

Wheres Slovakia? The proved that the top six should be a top seven.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Lionel Hutz said:
And exactly which specific recent accomplishments put Russia in a tie for first? Above the US, Sweden and Czech Rep.?

That's my question. They won bronze at the SLC Olympics, and have fared poorly at the WC's in recent years. I know they have a talented roster, but still............

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Honestly the main reason they are winning so much lately is that the depth in terms of Canada having many good players is finally showing in these ternaments. Canada has enough good players to make up two teams that would both be fairly competitive. Not every Country has this type of depth and this definately helps when you look at something like the World Championships. Kevin Lowe and Wayne Gretzky have quite the task in selecting who to pick and sometimes you pick the wrong players or the key players can get injured (i.e., 1998 Olympics both Sakic and Karaya were injured). Sometime luck and players working together at the right time is what works. I have to say though that Gretzky and Lowe have been very good at looking at and evaluating who will work.

Beakermania*

Rabid Ranger said:
Is that the best you can do? Two individuals that have an American parent, and are American citizens, and another who was born in Minnesota? :banghead:

The point was that these men played minor hockey in the canadian hockey system, or CHA at some point in their careers, which is at partially funded by the Canadian Gov't. So yes they are Made IN Canada. As well if you look into the backgrounds of many of your elite american players, you will see that this is also the case.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Beakermania said:
The point was that these men played minor hockey in the canadian hockey system, or CHA at some point in their careers, which is at partially funded by the Canadian Gov't. So yes they are Made IN Canada. As well if you look into the backgrounds of many of your elite american players, you will see that this is also the case.
None of that matters. What matters is that the play for the US. And putting Parise in there makes no sense at all - he's American. That can't be denied.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Beakermania said:

So because a non-Canadian plays in the CHL they are suddenly "Made in Canada"? Gimme a break, the fact is by the time an American or Import arrives in the CHL they are for the most part already established players.

So by your logic, Dany Heatley, perhaps Canada's brightest young star is made in the USA because he played at Wisconsin?

Lame

policegopher

May 10, 2004
Minnesota
I think it is fair to say the Canada is #1 in the world. However, the fact is that hockey is a game of emotion and any one of four teams could win the world cup (ugly trophy by the way).

It is nice that the States are competitive internationally, and that team USA has a good shot at winning it. That was not the case 25-30 years ago. USA Hockey has done a tremendous job, thanks to guys like Herbie :handclap: , over the last 30 years in developing great players.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Canuck_HavoK said:
Lacrosse IS our official national sport, not hockey.

They officialized hockey as our official WINTER sport a few years ago...

Lacrosse is our official SUMMER sport...

Dont understand the reason why they did it...

BJ21

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Exactly.

Just ask a CAnadian anything related to hockey and he'll answer : "Canada rules, you rest of the world suck. Piss off."

Woooooo, this statment is not really more respecfull, even worse, that the arrogance of the original post!!!

I do think that most Canadians are know what they're talking about when discussing hockey.

That mean that most of us know we are not always the front runner.

BTW I watched 3-4 games in the tournament and dont think we deserved the victory...

BJ21

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I overreact sometimes ... don't pay too much attention to it

but there's some truth in my words

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
wilka91 said:
I overreact sometimes ... don't pay too much attention to it

but there's some truth in my words

Sorry but there is no thruth in your words...

There is some blind, selfcetered ******* in Canada like in each other nation in the world...

Some Italian or British think they are the only nation that can play soccer... SOME Canadian also think they are the only nation that can play hockey...

SOME!!!

No offense BTW... I partialy undersatand your reaction

BJ21

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
BlackJack21 said:
Sorry but there is no thruth in your words...

There is some blind, selfcetered ******* in Canada like in each other nation in the world...

Some Italian or British think they are the only nation that can play soccer... SOME Canadian also think they are the only nation that can play hockey...

SOME!!!

No offense BTW... I partialy undersatand your reaction

BJ21

Actually in my opinion Russian fans are the worst ... they're so arrogant!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad