Blue Jays Discussion: No More AA, Everyone is very Sad (and by Sad, I mean Mad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
That isn't anything new...

I know, it's just annoying to hear. What's the point of these calls if they won't say anything?

'The team is great, the fans are great, the new president is great, rogers is great, I want to stay here for ever, I was offered 10 million dollars to stay here, but I'm not - next question'

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
the one that needs a GM?

oh, I just sly me :laugh:

The only ones that are without GMs currently are the Jays and the Marlins (with the assumption that Jennings is already canned).

Ben Cherington didn't even target a job in MLB after his resignation from the Sox GM role. He's now a part of Columbia's Sports Management faculty.

ChiTownLeafer

From Toronto to Chicago
Dec 26, 2011
Chicago, IL
Maybe AA knew he couldn't work with shapiro or wanted more power and after the hiring on Shapiro, probably said F it I'm not staying here anymore, let's go all in. Shapiro didn't like it and chewed him off. Spiral effect that was started because of Rogers.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
AA left on slightly different terms than Cherington.

The second some GM gets turfed next year AA will be at the top of the list.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bruce Arthur of the star just tweeted that AA hates the idea of leaving and that many other Jays staffers are "devastated".

Pretty damning of the impact of Shapiro and senior meddling in the running of the club.

Today is not a good day to be a Jays fan.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
The only ones that are without GMs currently are the Jays and the Marlins (with the assumption that Jennings is already canned).

Ben Cherington didn't even target a job in MLB after his resignation from the Sox GM role. He's now a part of Columbia's Sports Management faculty.

A team will make room for AA, let's not pretend they won't. He will be among the most highly sought after free agents.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
AA left on slightly different terms than Cherington.

The second some GM gets turfed next year AA will be at the top of the list.

Well if we are to speculate that AA wasn't going to receive the same autonomous powers as he would have with Beeston, then that's essentially the reasons for why Cherington left after Dombrowski was hired as president.

A team will make room for AA, let's not pretend they won't. He will be among the most highly sought after free agents.

Sure, but at this point there isn't room unless he receives a promotion or some org drops the bomb on their GM. I don't know if he's willing to just hop on a team as an advisor. He may not like the options available either.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Love how Simmons doesn't even state his name or publication, just goes straight into questioning.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Well if we are to speculate that AA wasn't going to receive the same autonomous powers as he would have with Beeston, then that's essentially the reasons for why Cherington left after Dombrowski was hired as president.

And he left with a team that didn't just make it the ALCS.

And he wasn't named 2015 Executive of the Year by his peers either.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I cannot help be not believe what AA has been saying. Seems like a very political conference call.

It's what I expected. AA is trying to shoulder the blame away so Shapiro and Rogers are not the bad guys. Not many are buying it and nor should they IMO.

Needless to say, this summarizes Jays fans feelings from the moment they woke up this morning to hearing this news:

clgZshi.gif

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I find it funny how people are running away with Keith Law's speculation (in his own opinion) that the Jays will rebuild. He's heard nothing, he knows nothing about the scenario, and Shapiro isn't even in power yet. There will be a lot of people (including Stephen Brunt) who are going to "speculate" to create views and listeners what will happen even though they know nothing. Calm the **** down.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
This is on Rogers

Rogers hired Shapiro and gave him player personnel powers, knowing that it means AA would very likely be out the door.

They made their choice in August. As to whether they regret it now...who knows.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And he left with a team that didn't just make it the ALCS.

And he wasn't named 2015 Executive of the Year by his peers either.

Cherington was still sought after. There were roles lined up for him that he decided for whatever reason not to pursue. They are obviously different persons, but AA is in a weird state of limbo now that teams have already filled their vacant GM positions.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Also, its funny how we (the team and Anthopolous) ran a tight lipped ship regarding everything, yet the second the report comes out that AA isn't coming back there is a following report that Shapiro "ripped" AA about trading prospects. So either that report is messed up or AA is extremely petty about the situation and leaked the report like a rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad