Blue Jays Discussion: No More AA: Buckle Up, Folks... It's Going To Be A Wild Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh my god the Blue Jays front office has disbanded!

tumblr_n8ohbhA35U1qh59n0o2_500.gif

This. This is me right now. Or maybe i just needed an excuse to make a Simpsons reference.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Basically, this.

why thank you

but seriously, I think there is a lot of over-reaction and "Shaprio/Rogers are evil/dumb/stupid" about what he(they) will do. We don't know.

What we do know is the following (and I can't listen to the presser so i am going by the reports I'm seeing).

Shapiro didn't like that we traded a tonne of prospects. I think that's fair.
yes. we can argue we had Price, Tulo ( :heart: ) and the rest, but we did give up a lot of prospects. maybe it was just a statement of fact. we don't know.

AA is mad that he has to run things by the new guy.
I - personally never understood this feeling. (and before people ask - , yes I have been in positions where i had a lot more flexibility and then had to cede that. and you make it work. or you leave.). Alex decided he didn't want to make it work. for whatever reason. that doesn't mean Shapiro is evil/wrong/bad. whatever.

We have to see what Shapiro brings to the table (he hasn't even spoken yet so we don't know where his mindset is or anything) and judge him on the moves he made.

and he MADE a move. he extended AA. AA was the one who said no.
why this is being shunted on Shapiro (or Rogers) is beyond me.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't bother reading the last few pages, but colour me surprised.

I'm not even really sure what his prospects are of becoming a GM anywhere else, unless he's thinking of joining the Marlins of all places, or expecting a promotion. I certainly don't think it's all doom and gloom though as they could very well internally fill the void with Tony LaCava.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
What do you guys think of Kim Ng as GM? First female GM in the league. That'd be cool. :nod:

I'm still going to miss AA. All the best to him wherever he ends up. *Cough* MTL Expos *Cough*

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Estrada wasn't even in the rotation to start the year. Things change.

They're obviously not going to do absolutely nothing this offseason. They could sign a couple back-end starters and still be the AL East favourites.

Yes. And hope stroman can handle a full time aces workload. Hope dickey (41 years young) can keep up his excellent numbers. Hope hutch can find some consistency. Hope someone overachieved like Estrada.

There are qurstion marks. There are holes. To make them go away- and my point here is that this was such a big issue that the Jays were hamstrung by it in totality- Shapiro needs to spend money.

But beyond that, I'm merely pointing out that before the pitching staff received several substantial upgrades, it sucked. Take away most of that and have trouble replacing it.

Bottom line, yes there is still a ton of time to fix it: but the Jays were suffering from their inept pitching this very past season to the point of a losing record more than halfway into the season. With the same offense and defense that will be coming back.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

I can only make an inference, but a move like hiring Shapiro and giving him player personnel decisions means you have no confidence in the guy you already have. Why should AA subject himself to that if he's just going to be a GM in title, while his responsibilities are given to Shapiro? It's like your boss giving you responsibilities, and then going behind your back to hire a new guy to give him the responsibilities you once had. No rational person is going to take that kind of demotion, it basically says that your boss has no confidence in you, so why work for them?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I can only make an inference, but a move like hiring Shapiro and giving him player personnel decisions means you have no confidence in the guy you already have. Why should AA subject himself to that if he's just going to be a GM in title, while his responsibilities are given to Shapiro? It's like your boss giving you responsibilities, and then going behind your back to hire a new guy to give him the responsibilities you once had. No rational person is going to take that kind of demotion, it basically says that your boss has no confidence in you, so why work for them?

isn't that what goes in the NHL like... all the time? well for a good 1/3rd of the league anyway?

so like in Baseball there are no Presidents/GMs combos? we would have been the first?

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I believe we've found Ryno's new role with the team

Marlins have reportedly hired Don Mattingly as manager. Noteworthy is that it's very hard to hire Don Mattingly as manager and have it be an upgrade on who he's replacing, but after the Dan Jennings debacle this will be the case :sarcasm:

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Stroman
- FA
Estrada
Dickey
- internal choice (sanchez? osuna? hutch?)

we really dont need to start trading the bats to figure this out and right the ship. Even without signing an ace in the off season, a #2 on top of keeping Estrada in the fold should be enough to keep forward momentum considering we went the whole season without Stroman.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Is it just a general article on the situation or is there something interesting in it that you think we should know?

Click the play button at the top and its the live conference call that is currently just a bunch of BEEP BEEP

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Really? You can't see why?

If they REALLY wanted him here, he would be here.

He isn't.

I'm not sure how anybody can't see that Rogers/Shapiro created the circumstances that led to his departure.

You are oversimplifying to say: "They made him an offer, he said no, therefore - it's his fault and not theirs."

None of us know what was in the offer. Maybe it was an offer designed to be rejected (meaning, they planned this all along and wanted to blame him when it become public).

Until we hear from all the principals involved, we really won't know one way or another.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

isn't that what goes in the NHL like... all the time? well for a good 1/3rd of the league anyway?

so like in Baseball there are no Presidents/GMs combos? we would have been the first?

The only comparison I can see is the Avalanche. IIRC, Sherman was there prior to Sakic's hiring, and after that, Sakic appears to be the personnel decision-maker with Sherman being the corpse occupying the GM position. The Leafs are a more unique scenario considering that Shanahan had already made personnel decisions before ever hiring Lamoriello (and if you ask me, Lamoriello doesn't seem to care about not being the decision-maker IMO).

It's not so much that there aren't President/GM comboes, I mean after all, we had Beeston and AA, one looked after balancing the payroll, the other focused on making baseball decisions. But it definitely feels like Shapiro wants to be both and that will always cause a clash if the GM wants to look after player decisions too.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
why thank you

but seriously, I think there is a lot of over-reaction and "Shaprio/Rogers are evil/dumb/stupid" about what he(they) will do. We don't know.

What we do know is the following (and I can't listen to the presser so i am going by the reports I'm seeing).

Shapiro didn't like that we traded a tonne of prospects. I think that's fair.
yes. we can argue we had Price, Tulo ( :heart: ) and the rest, but we did give up a lot of prospects. maybe it was just a statement of fact. we don't know.

AA is mad that he has to run things by the new guy.
I - personally never understood this feeling. (and before people ask - , yes I have been in positions where i had a lot more flexibility and then had to cede that. and you make it work. or you leave.). Alex decided he didn't want to make it work. for whatever reason. that doesn't mean Shapiro is evil/wrong/bad. whatever.

We have to see what Shapiro brings to the table (he hasn't even spoken yet so we don't know where his mindset is or anything) and judge him on the moves he made.

and he MADE a move. he extended AA. AA was the one who said no.

Very well put. Agreed.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Stroman
- FA
Estrada
Dickey
- internal choice (sanchez? osuna? hutch?)

we really dont need to start trading the bats to figure this out and right the ship. Even without signing an ace in the off season, a #2 on top of keeping Estrada in the fold should be enough to keep forward momentum considering we went the whole season without Stroman.

No guarantee Estrada is back. He is a free agent and is going to get a big pay day.

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
I don't think the Blue Jays organisation realised how great Anthopoulos was for the Jays popularity outside of Toronto.

The man got the people of Quebec (with some help from R.Martin) behind a team from Toronto !

He was regularly giving interviews in french. A lot of my friends who gave up on baseball after the Expos left were having conversation about whether we should start Stroman or Price. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad