No last ditch attempt to avoid lockout (CBA Negotiation discussion thread) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
The masses? MOD

Perhaps I should have reiterated in my response to you (since you apparently missed it the first time), I questioned why the players strongly believed in this average growth when they are actively endorsing the idea of fans taking a stand and serving backlash to the owners. You chose to respond to only one part of my question when the other part was just as important to my question. But whatever. Either they also share the sentiments that Bettman does and think we're sheep that will come running back (of course, they would only take the opportunity to put the blame on Bettman for that kind of thinking), or they seriously want the fans on their side to gain leverage in these negotiations - in which case, if they seriously think they can impact the fans to take a stand, why on earth would they not think that this could have repercussions to the growth of the league?

And I'm well aware of how business projections work. Using projections does not make it mandatory for one to believe that those projections can be met realistically...which is precisely why the PA haven't fooled the league into thinking their idea is brilliant.

I really agree with a lot of what you post Crazed.

I am feeling tremendous backlash toward the players in my everyday circles. I suspect that many of the dozens of people that I speak with about this dispute are not on HF Boards, or answering TSN polls.

The recent quotes by Brendan Morrison and Guy Lafleur have had all of my circle of friends and business colleagues nodding their heads in agreement...really telling when Morrison says the silence is "scary" - he should be scared. I used to be really perplexed as to why the NHL "muzzled" the owners on CBA issues. After seeing all the quotes spewed by the players and agents over the past few weeks - I am struck by the utter stupidity. They are inflicting damage to the very game that they are trying to share revenue from!?!?

Wow, just wow...respond to the last proposal, or get another proposal back to the owners already :shakehead

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I really agree with a lot of what you post Crazed.

I am feeling tremendous backlash toward the players in my everyday circles. I suspect that many of the dozens of people that I speak with about this dispute are not on HF Boards, or answering TSN polls.

The recent quotes by Brendan Morrison and Guy Lafleur have had all of my circle of friends and business colleagues nodding their heads in agreement...really telling when Morrison says the silence is "scary" - he should be scared. I used to be really perplexed as to why the NHL "muzzled" the owners on CBA issues. After seeing all the quotes spewed by the players and agents over the past few weeks - I am struck by the utter stupidity. They are inflicting damage to the very game that they are trying to share revenue from!?!?

Wow, just wow...respond to the last proposal, or get another proposal back to the owners already :shakehead

Detroit fans who bother to vote in polls on local media sites are trending in blaming the owners:
The owners received 1,068 votes – or 63.3 percent – while 481 readers (28.5 percent) blamed both the owners and players. Only 139 readers (8.2 percent) put the blame on the players.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/09/detroit_red_wings_fans_gary_be_1.html

Of course, this is all very scientific. ;)

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
That's a great read and pretty much sums up the situation. I've never considered the players greedy. Just stubborn.

They've made enough money that they don't need to worry about any financial implications like a regular employee in a work stoppage. They just want to feel like they didn't lose.

Hence the union hard liners taking over.

They're so much like the owners it's funny. Owners spend money to win hockey games.

Players forgo money to win CBA's. Except there's no cup... just pride or whatever this sense of fairness that results.

Agreed, that is a great read. I too have not considered the players greedy...just stubborn = don't you get it? From the article, the owners are for the most part the ones that can walk away comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad