No Icing, Tag-up Offsides, No center line.. did you like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
So after watching this tournament, what rules or parts of the game do you enjoy and wish the NHL would adopt?

Tag up offsides - i liked this because theres less whistles and this speeds up the game. Why did the NHL change that originally?

No center line - I think having no center line speeds the game up a bit too and creates more offence, however it also allows for many players to goal suck and coast around center ice. I kinda liked seeing the long bomb passes kinda like in football.

Touch up Icing - I didn't like this. Seemed too many times the play was called icing even when the team who iced the puck was closest to the puck. Just didn't feel it.

Penalties for all head infractions - with so many injuries and carelessness in the NHL and stars getting injured, maybe this rule would decrease those chances.

What are ur thoughts?

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
I liked it. The only thing I can do without is no-touch icing because that means no more races for loose pucks to keep plays alive. It takes some hustle out of the game.

I really think the NHL needs to not only bring back the tag-up but get rid of the the two-line pass. It would open up the ice.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Dabomb said:
So after watching this tournament, what rules or parts of the game do you enjoy and wish the NHL would adopt?

Tag up offsides - i liked this because theres less whistles and this speeds up the game. Why did the NHL change that originally?

No center line - I think having no center line speeds the game up a bit too and creates more offence, however it also allows for many players to goal suck and coast around center ice. I kinda liked seeing the long bomb passes kinda like in football.

Touch up Icing - I didn't like this. Seemed too many times the play was called icing even when the team who iced the puck was closest to the puck. Just didn't feel it.

Penalties for all head infractions - with so many injuries and carelessness in the NHL and stars getting injured, maybe this rule would decrease those chances.

What are ur thoughts?
Damn's strait. I like the dub-IHF rules. I would have liked to see the intentional offside though. Too many players just threw it into the zone when they didnt have a play to make - too much of a cop-out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dabomb said:

It won't take long before NHL coaches just tell their defenseman not to enter the offensive zone and hang out at the red line.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
It won't take long before NHL coaches just tell their defenseman not to enter the offensive zone and hang out at the red line.

But don't they already do this??? at least some teams who trap. In my opinion all it needs to really do is create a few more scoring chances and I believe it will.

As for eveything else, I really liked the tag up offsides, really helped keep the game flowing. And it appears that I might be in the minority in saying that I do like the no-touch icing... I know it decreases certain races for the pucks, but i can still see Marco Sturm's broken ankle in my mind and I don't think it's worth it.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Well theres no ultimate solution, but I think getting rid of the 2-line offside pass would be an improvement to the nhl game. No matter what rule change is suggested, you can always find a downside.

Go Flames Go*

It was all good, but the wider ice and no touch icing I can do without.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i'm definitely 100% in favour of no-touch icing and tag up off sides.

however, the one thing that made the games so exciting for me was the refs just calling the penalties as the rulebook states regarding obstruction. no more clutching and grabbing, no hooking...it increased the speed of the game and is how hockey should be played.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
One thing I've really liked in this tournament that hasn't been mentioned: no hits to the head.

I like this rule and physically, the tournament was very intense nonetheless. Proof that you don't have to love players in skirts to be against hits to the head.

I think everybody knows how much I despise this stuff and I like my hockey very intense. Those tournaments demonstrate that you can have very challenging stuff without putting the players in jeopardy for needless stuff.

Canada was able to take out Ovechkin from this tournament within the rules.

I think this needs to be put in effect in the NHL and until it is, I'm going to cheer everytime a headhunter is beat at his own game and leaves on a stretcher.

RW8

Feb 10, 2004
I liked all the new rules.. and actually thought these games were more entertaining than the NHL itself.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
Dabomb said:

I hates this rule. The game in Europe is drier than it was before. It ruined offensive game of many D.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
No touch icing - Great. There are so few successful nullified icing attempts that the injuries that result from it, simply aren't worth it. This is coming from an Oilers fan who watched their best defensive centre (who was having a career year), lose his season on a race for the puck.

Tag Up offside - Great. Keeps the forecheck going all the time, and anything is better than watching a defenceman retreat into his own zone with the puck while his teammates scramble out.

No offside pass - Terrible. It will not work at the NHL level, on NHL sized ice. Players and coaches are way too smart for it to have any positive effect. It will greatly increase the number of icings. The only way it works is to either make the ice bigger, or a simple change in the definition of icing. That being any attempted pass is not considered icing (judgement call, but something the linesmen can handle).

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
I like the tag up offside, and no touch icing, and no center line.
Tag up offside keeps the game moving and won't have that many play stops. No touch icing will decrease the number of injuries which occur during a race for the icing. No center line will open up the game a little bit more. I'm all for it. Lets give it a try.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Dabomb said:

They wanted the players to stop trowing the puck in the corner so they decide to force them to be creative with this rules. They though it would create more offense but, as well, the defenses used it to block the blue line even more and finally it resulted in less offense.

There is a big problem when the leaders thinks they can show the players and the coachs how to play the game. It's like politician who thinks they can spend our money better than we do ;)

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Beatnik said:
They wanted the players to stop trowing the puck in the corner so they decide to force them to be creative with this rules. They though it would create more offense but, as well, the defenses used it to block the blue line even more and finally it resulted in less offense.

There is a big problem when the leaders thinks they can show the players and the coachs how to play the game. It's like politician who thinks they can spend our money better than we do ;)
False. They took off the tag up rule to protect defensmen because they couldnt protect themselves from the ferocious forechek resulting in many injuries especially hits from behind.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
Last night during the game my wife and I were discussing how fast the game was - it went back and forth at an incredible rate, with one stretch of play that went over 5 minutes without a whistle to start the 3rd.

Two rules - the touch-up offside and no centre-line for two line passes - made this possible.

I really liked the rules at the WJHC, and as someone mentioned, for the most part the refs did a pretty good job.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
jcpenny said:
False. They took off the tag up rule to protect defensmen because they couldnt protect themselves from the ferocious forechek resulting in many injuries especially hits from behind.

"The NHL used this rule from 1986-87 to 1995-96 but dropped it because the league felt that players were getting lazy when dumping the puck into the offensive zone. "

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2003-02-23-hockey-u_x.htm

"Originally, the rule change was made in order to encourage the defenceman to use their skills and handle the puck -- instead of just dumping it back out into the neutral zone. "

http://www.chl.ca/Slam021125/ahl_man2-sun.html

Last edited:

acr*

I like Tag-Up offsides, it gives players the chance to get back in the right position instead of just blowing play dead there and having 80 faceoffs a game

I hate No-Touch icing for the same reason. It completely eliminates forechecking and promotes the trap, and as was mentioned before, it takes away some of the hustle in beating out icings. There must be 1000 icings beat out to every injury sustained on a race, the ratio is less than the number who get injured on more common aspects, such as blocked shots or even body checking. We can't ban thosenow can we?(Though, knowing the league's wishes to be more offensive, it feels like they may do those eventually)

I don't like the no offside passes rule either. It's been proven in Europe that it simply makes the game worse, and offside passes just seem like video game cheesing to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad