Post-Game Talk: No defense for this loss

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well that was a fun first 57 minutes. Tough way to lose a game.

I know Maurice is handcuffed right now but I have no idea why he thought is would be a great idea to play Myers and Kulikov against their best line all night. They can't handle that match up. He should have tried to make the best possible pairing with Trouba and put it against the Staal line.

I didn't mind how we looked offensively tonight, we had some good looks and chances. We were a tire fire in our own end though. A lot of that is on the defense we are dressing atm but we are still getting lazy/sloppy defending by a number of forwards.

Helle was strong

Kulikov was a mess in a tough role. Myers was ok until that inexcusable penalty. He is a vet and should know better, if that penalty was taken by a rookie he would not dress the next game.

Trouba was ok and Belileau was ok.

Chariot and Niku were good in heavily sheltered minutes.

Scheifele needs to bare down and start to play like a number 1 C in his own end. Poor decisions and bad puck management all night by him. Laine with a strong night (Once again the best player on his line). Wheeler was ok but not as good as he can be.

The Lowry line had another good night but their lack of finishing skills was on display again

Little Roslovica and Conner did nothing for the first two periods before waking up a bit in the third. Roslovic is not having a particularly great year.

Hayes, Perrault and Ehlers started very strong but slowed down as the night progressed. I think there are signs of a good line here but it will take a bit of time for Hayes to settle in. I liked the tools that Hayes has and I think once he gets comfortable and stops thinking and just reacting he will be a strong contributor.

I am still quite concerned with the vets on this team this year. Perrault has been largely MIA, Wheeler has been inconsistent, Scheifele sloppy in his own end and Buff has been out injured. All of them except Little have also been really undisciplined. Unless they turn it around this team will have a hard time going far in the playoffs.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I liked the ceremony honoring our new Jets HoF members.

1127649104_slide.jpg

1127648764_slide.jpg

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
(100% Effort x 50% Ability) > (50% Effort x 100% Ability)

There's a reason Tanev and Lemieux have stood out this year. Not enough players care, the Wild were yet another desperate, hungry team that Jets have no ability to match intensity.

Reactions: Mbraunm

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Over the last 10-12 games we have a very poor record now -- I really hope the Jet's snap out of this cold streak. Do posters have any suggestions.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
We showed last season that we can be an excellent defensive team with the same personnel. This year, it is the opposite. Why? The personnel hasn’t changed...so what is the overall underlying, systemic issue if we have the same personnel as last year?

We were much better defensively last season, no question. Like I said in an earlier post, I do think Helle playing like a Vezina runner up covered some rough spots. Another factor last season is that we spent a lot more time in the opposition end, our possession numbers have dipped.

Coaching is definitely a factor, though.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I said this 10-15 games ago and many did not agree. He looks good, excellent skater. Can't win any battles, does not accomplish anything. No offensive finish or playmakong skills either. He is a good skating 4th liner. Not a centre, not great in the D zone yet. Can maybe turn into a good secondary scoring 3rd liner as he learns the pro game better. But right now he is our worst forward. And Appleton may be more impactful

Agreed.

I've been saying (not on the boards) all season that Roslovic should be traded while his value is high. With the option that another team may think they can make him into the player he was expected to be.

The longer he plays out his career here the lower his value will become. He's a fringe NHL player in my opinion.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It's frustrating seeing how much ice time is being given to Scheifele given the depth at centre. No reason for him to be out there for 21 minutes and there is certainly no reason to give him as much time on the penalty kill as Maurice does.

Niku continues to show progress. I hope he can play a key role for the Jets down the stretch and into the playoffs...once Buff and Morrissey come back he should stay in over the likes Morrow and Chiariot, but will Maurice actually recognize he is the superior talent?

I'm really annoyed with the play of Myers and Kulikov. they just do not seem capable of handling anything other then bottom pairing minutes and are terrible for the most part on the penalty kill. To this day I never understood how Chevy could sign such an injury prone defenseman like Kulikov to a 3 year 13.5 million contract. It was widely thought to be a bad contract when it was signed and it looks to be even worse today - 1 year too long and 1.5 - 2 million more per year then appropriate. This may be costly to the Jets in terms of assets (having to package a pick for another team to pick him up) and cap space.

Hot take: hmmm, maybe we should have packaged Roslovic with a first and a lesser part for Stone and Duchene. Ros hasn't really shown any progress this year.

Are Maurice and Huddy a package deal if it comes down to firing this off-season?

Reactions: Mbraunm

Vapour Trails

Oct 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Go back and watch the game from 1:27 remaining. The Jets turn the puck over 3 times in about 15 seconds trying to get out of the zone. They continue to chase the puck around until the puck is in the net.

Everything about this sequence is the problem with the team right now. There is a sense of complacency about the team right now. They came out thinking, well I guess we're going to OT and acted like they could dial in 90 seconds against a team that wanted it more.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
On mobile but someone post the heat maps of this year vs last year. People wonder why Helles numbers are down... The team d is giving up chances at an alarming rate.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Helle has been right around .915 since December 1.

Your opinion is fine, it's just wrong based on the data that's available.

I'm sure your right, and Helle has been slowly getting better. I 'm not blaming this loss entirely on Helle -- but I thought he could have had 1 of those goals.

To be fair here --we're allowing way to many shots on our goal --things have to be cleaned up.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I'm sure your right, and Helle has been slowly getting better. I 'm not blaming this loss entirely on Helle -- but I thought he could have had 1 of those goals.

To be fair here --we're allowing way to many shots on our goal --things have to be cleaned up.

Sure, but it feels like mentioning Hellebuyck after this one is like pointing out that the Titanic's design led it to sink faster. Maybe it did, but that big hole in the boat did most of the work. The team defence tonight was that big hole.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Good news --is over the last 4 games or so--Laine has been playing with a lot more grit, skating faster, and starting to score goals.

We just need to get the other lines clicking-- I hope we see this.

Reactions: Frendlygiant

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

My opinion is that Helle will need to bring his Save Percentage up to .915 to .920 for us to do anything in the playoffs. I believe he's around .905 --"not good enough"

You have your opinion--and I have mine.

GNP - with respect, Helly was .923 tonight and he's .909 on the year after a really slow start. Essentially he's playing well now - its not his fault the team is allowing ten zillion shots/game.

Recently, Brossoit's game under this kind of pressure has not been any prettier.

For this game? If you want to direct your guns on a player that made a mess of things, I would humbly suggest that Myers didn't do his bit with the game on the line.

Last edited:

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
On mobile but someone post the heat maps of this year vs last year. People wonder why Helles numbers are down... The team d is giving up chances at an alarming rate.

Very true. The underlying metrics indicate that this season we are a below average team in all defensive metrics. This wasn’t the case last year, despite having the same personnel.

Why?
What has gone wrong?

We have the same glut of talent that produced excellent underlying metrics across the board last year. Has Chevy failed?

Or is it the coach?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Agreed.

I've been saying (not on the boards) all season that Roslovic should be traded while his value is high. With the option that another team may think they can make him into the player he was expected to be.

The longer he plays out his career here the lower his value will become. He's a fringe NHL player in my opinion.

Unfortunately for the Jets this post on Roslovic could become "very true". I sure hope this Roslo guy turns out -- I had high hopes for him. Maybe we just have to be patient -- but how patient ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad