Proposal: No blockbuster : MTL-VAN // MTL-VEGAS

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
As a Canucks fan, work harder.

Virtanen makes no sense to trade, he's at an all time low valuewise.

We traded a higher pick for Granlund 2 seasons ago, and since, he was a few missed games off of being a 20 goal scorer this year for us.

Where is the benefit for the Canucks here? Davidson? Someone that was sent as a contract dump for a salary dump in Desharnais?

Brutal. Just brutal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
That Canucks deal looks brutal from an outside perspective. He may not have developed as quick as some of his draft-mates, but i'mhard pressed to believe Canucks are ready to give up on him.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
No on the second one for sure, makes no sense for the Habs to lose McCarron (plus Plek and a pick) for a 29 year old Perron who has reached his peak.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Virtanen isn't worth giving up on for so little assets. He isn't anchored by a big contract, and at this point it makes more sense to hope he "figures it out" rather than trade him away because we won't get anything of value in return

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
terrible for the Canucks and wouldnt do the Vegas one. We would be losing to centers for LW who`s passed his prime. As sad as it is, we cant spare Plekanec.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
How is Virtanen the main piece in the Vancouver deal?

Talk about living off of draft status...

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
its giving him up for perron, AND for them picking up Pleky's contract, i think

possibly but there's only 1 year left on his contract and we have 9M of cap space as of today. Dont see the need to get rid of his contract, especially since we are weak down the middle

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well, here's a more constructive reply.

What would Montreal give up for Sutter?

You guys admittedly need center depth, and he could likely be had super cheap since we added Gagner.

I'm not trying to snakeoil salesman this up either, no return of not grossly negative and/or toxic contract refused.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Meh to the Canucks deal.

Brandon Davidson wouldn't fit anywhere and even though I think Virtanen will bust there's little point in shuffling him off with Grandlund for a 2nd.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Not going to lie, what exactly is your reasoning for the Vancouver trade? Granlund is 24, they just traded Shinkaruk to get him, and he just put up 32 points in 69 games on a Nucks team that couldn't find its own ass half the time. They are extremely limited in most offensive prospects, so you offer a C defensive prospect instead? And you want them to give up the chance Virtanen could develop as well?

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Not going to lie, what exactly is your reasoning for the Vancouver trade? Granlund is 24, they just traded Shinkaruk to get him, and he just put up 32 points in 69 games on a Nucks team that couldn't find its own ass half the time. They are extremely limited in most offensive prospects, so you offer a C defensive prospect instead? And you want them to give up the chance Virtanen could develop as well?

Reasoning was Nucks won't be competitive for a while. *I know Grandlund plays wing too* their C's are Sedin-Horvat-Sutter. Might as well grab a 2nd in a good draft for a *supposed to be* rebuilding team.

Davidson for Virtanen is basically Benning giving up on Virtanen. At least, Davidson can play in their lineup, is still youngish and D-depth isn't a bad thing during a season.

I totally agree it might be a stretch but other than being a high draft pick, he isn't worth much. I get that Nucks might aswell keep him but if Benning doesn't have faith in him being an NHL'er, might as well grab an NHL body for him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Reasoning was Nucks won't be competitive for a while. *I know Grandlund plays wing too* their C's are Sedin-Horvat-Sutter. Might as well grab a 2nd in a good draft for a *supposed to be* rebuilding team.

Davidson for Virtanen is basically Benning giving up on Virtanen. At least, Davidson can play in their lineup, is still youngish and D-depth isn't a bad thing during a season.

I totally agree it might be a stretch but other than being a high draft pick, he isn't worth much. I get that Nucks might aswell keep him but if Benning doesn't have faith in him being an NHL'er, might as well grab an NHL body for him.

So your explanation and rationalization is that we should cast off any young players that even have a remote hope of being an nhler because....were rebuilding?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Vancouver deal is awful, wouldn't do Granlund or Virtanen separate for 2nd + Davidson.

Pointless for Montreal to give up McCarron for a winger who's already reached his peak.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
It would make sense if Granlund was like 36 to offload him for a 2nd. Currently he's 24, and a cost controlled RFA. They need more players in his mold and less 2nd rounders from playoff teams.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
So your explanation and rationalization is that we should cast off any young players that even have a remote hope of being an nhler because....you hope the ''new'' asset will do better than the one you currently have because you lost all faith on him being an NHL'er?[/QUOTE]

Fixed it for you.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary

Wouldn't a rebuilding team want to keep a core of young players on their team? I don't think anyone would want to go through a 10 year rebuild like Edmonton did. :amazed: Grandlund really is one of their better players. As for Sedin, he's pretty much gone after this season. If you want a center from Vancouver, go for Sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad