No 91 retirement

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I hope so. It's quite possible (I think likely) that Yzerman has 0 Cups to his name without Fedorov on the '97/'98/'02 teams. Does Yzerman's name mean nearly as much in NHL history, and in Detroit for that matter, without those Cups? I seriously doubt it. So if anyone can drop the ridiculous 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' act, it's Yzerman. Hopefully he realizes the impact Fedorov had on his own legacy, and by extension the entire organization.

Reactions: Obe2kenobe

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I hope so. It's quite possible (I think likely) that Yzerman has 0 Cups to his name without Fedorov on the '97/'98/'02 teams. Does Yzerman's name mean nearly as much in NHL history, and in Detroit for that matter, without those Cups? I seriously doubt it. So if anyone can drop the ridiculous 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned' act, it's Yzerman. Hopefully he realizes the impact Fedorov had on his own legacy, and by extension the entire organization.

Um..yes? :laugh::help:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Marcel Dionne finished his career with more points than Yzerman yet his name and reputation aren't anywhere close. Got a response to that or just more childish emojis?

Jonathan Toews wouldn't have 1/10th the reputation he does without those Cups. He's been a 55-70 point player most of his career, yet his legacy far outreaches his play on the ice. Captaining a team to several Cups is absolutely a force multiplier to someone's legacy.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Marcel Dionne finished his career with more points than Yzerman yet his name and reputation aren't anywhere close. Got a response to that or just more childish emojis?

Jonathan Toews wouldn't have 1/10th the reputation he does without those Cups. He's been a 55-70 point player most of his career, yet his legacy far outreaches his play on the ice. Captaining a team to several Cups is absolutely a force multiplier to someone's legacy.

How much of a response do I really need? Your comment was ludicrous and factually incorrect

Comparing Toews and Yzerman is absolutely ridiculous as well

Reactions: marcmadsen

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I don’t understand why this hasn’t happened or had more of a serious conversation
Because Fedorov is nowhere near as deserving as any of the names that are currently in the rafters. Zetterberg would get his # number retired before Fedorov, and honestly I am not sure even he would qualify.

Multiple contract disputes and walking out on the team will tarnish his legacy for many more years. Fedorov will probably get his number retired eventually, but it will likely be a couple decades down the road when no one remembers or cares about his off-ice drama.

Reactions: Fynn

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
How much of a response do I really need? Your comment was ludicrous and factually incorrect

Comparing Toews and Yzerman is absolutely ridiculous as well
Your comment had absolutely no substance whatsoever, neither did this one.

Answer me about Dionne then, why is his prestige so much lower despite being a similar level player to Yzerman, if not his lack of Cups? Are you seriously implying that Cups don't add to a player's legacy? And you're accusing me of making ludicrous statements? Here, let me give you one of these. :laugh:

Clearly I wasn't comparing Yzerman and Toews as players, but rather the impact that the Cups they won had on their respective legacies. It's all there in plain English, maybe reading comprehension is the problem...

Reactions: AHall88

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It will happen eventually. The rift between Fedorov and the organization has gotten smaller since he left. He's been invited back for many events. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen in the next five seasons.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Because Fedorov is nowhere near as deserving as any of the names that are currently in the rafters. Zetterberg would get his # number retired before Fedorov, and honestly I am not sure even he would qualify.

Multiple contract disputes and walking out on the team will tarnish his legacy for many more years. Fedorov will probably get his number retired eventually, but it will likely be a couple decades down the road when no one remembers or cares about his off-ice drama.
Didn't the team p***yfoot around with the contract negotiations with Feds while he was in a bad place personally or something like that? I don't remember the exact details.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Your comment had absolutely no substance whatsoever, neither did this one.

Answer me about Dionne then, why is his prestige so much lower despite being a similar level player to Yzerman, if not his lack of Cups? Are you seriously implying that Cups don't add to a player's legacy? And you're accusing me of making ludicrous statements? Here, let me give you one of these. :laugh:

Clearly I wasn't comparing Yzerman and Toews as players, but rather the impact that the Cups they won had on their respective legacies. It's all there in plain English, maybe reading comprehension is the problem...

Because Marcel Dionne played 4 seasons for Detroit. Yzerman played 21. Because Marcel Dionne played for the Wings when they weren't just bad, but bottom of the league bad... and Yzerman played long enough to build the team to where it was the preeminent franchise in hockey. Because Marcel Dionne's career ended before the Berlin Wall came down and a good chunk of professional hockey was on pay-to-play channels like PASS sports and was WAY more niche than it is now and Steve Yzerman's career coincided with far more national TV coverage, the advent of the internet and highlights of Yzerman's greatest plays and moments are on constant replay around the league.

Gee, I wonder why one guy in 2019 would have a higher profile than the other.

Reactions: marcmadsen

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Didn't the team p***yfoot around with the contract negotiations with Feds while he was in a bad place personally or something like that? I don't remember the exact details.

Not so much p***yfoot around... How it happened was...

Fedorov comes in for contract negotiations when he was in a bad place personally. Holland and Ilitch offer 5/50 to him. Fedorov, because he's in a bad spot mentally, says he needs a few days to think. Ilitch responds after Sergei leaves that he figures Sergei is gone, because 5/50 for his services is a number that he should jump at. Fedorov takes some time and comes back, but the offer of 5/50 is off the table and replaced by 5/40 or 5/45 and that led to the deal from Anaheim.

Ilitch probably was petty and played dirty pool, but he had the memory of the prior negotiation where Fedorov held out for 2/3rds of a season and figured Sergei's "troubles" were a negotiation tactic more than an actual thing he was mentally grappling with.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Not so much p***yfoot around... How it happened was...

Fedorov comes in for contract negotiations when he was in a bad place personally. Holland and Ilitch offer 5/50 to him. Fedorov, because he's in a bad spot mentally, says he needs a few days to think. Ilitch responds after Sergei leaves that he figures Sergei is gone, because 5/50 for his services is a number that he should jump at. Fedorov takes some time and comes back, but the offer of 5/50 is off the table and replaced by 5/40 or 5/45 and that led to the deal from Anaheim.

Ilitch probably was petty and played dirty pool, but he had the memory of the prior negotiation where Fedorov held out for 2/3rds of a season and figured Sergei's "troubles" were a negotiation tactic more than an actual thing he was mentally grappling with.
Ahhhh, thats right. Ya I think the second offer was 4/40 iirc. He also donated a lot of money from the first contract to the city of Detroit.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This one? If true, Fedorov should demand a hefty salary, great benefits and of course his number hanging from the rafters

So some goober blogger says what he thinks Federov should demand and you take it as Yzerman might have some pull with getting 91 retired?
Is it far-fetched to think Yzerman bringing in Fedorov for a job within the organization would help matters of the #91 going to the rafters?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad