No. 1 jobs up for grabs

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Which teams' starting goalie situation is still unclear?

Oilers?
Hurricanes?
Islanders?
Flyers?
Blues?
Sabres?
Avalanche?
Canucks?

Any of the above already settled?

Am I missing any?

Are there enough available starter-quality goalies to fill those jobs (minus Colorado)?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I think we are and should be giving this season to Talbot. Don't see any reason to throw in the towel on him, we just need a legitimate backup who can be trusted...

unless the secret strategy was to just spot the other team 3 goals in 5 shots every game to motivate McDavid.........
weird_al_tin_foil_hat.jpg

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Canucks will wait until Demko is ready, they’ll just keep treading water with a markstrom/Nilsson And hope for the Hughes to take over for the Sedins.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Oilers?
Hurricanes?
Islanders?
Flyers?
Blues?
Sabres?
Avalanche?
Canucks?

Am I missing any?

Are there enough available starter-quality goalies to fill those jobs (minus Colorado)?
Unclear meaning what exactly?

EDM - Talbot is the starter. But, it would be wise to not extend him a contract until sometime in 2019 to see how he performs. He had an amazing year followed by a terrible year. Need to see how this final year of his contract plays out first.
CAR - no clue what they do to upgrade on Darling.
Isles - no clue what they do to upgrade on what they had
PHI - pretty much run Elliott out there and have either Stolarz/Lyon as the backup and develop Sandstrom & Hart in the minors
Blues - kind of stuck with Allen as he has term on his contract
BUF - probably run Johnson & Ullmark as their duo and see how things go.
COL - they seem set with Varly and Grubs. Expect them to get a 2-3 year deal done with Grubs and then let Varly walk or flip him now if a team wants him.
VAN - Run Markstrom out there with hopefully Demko as the backup if he's ready. I would send Nilsson to the AHL just in case Demko isn't ready for the NHL and you have to send him back down.

I don't see really any tradable goalies who are upgrades to what these teams had last year, unless Lundqvist or Price want out.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
New Jersey. Schneider and Kinkaid could both with the #1 spot this camp. Schneider is coming off two bad seasons and major hip surgery, but seemed to get his act together the last few games he played. Kinkaid saved our season when Schneider was hurt/sucked, but didn't look too hot in the playoffs.

Kinkaid is UFA next summer and Schneider is turning 33 this season, so they'll have to make a decision soon.

Reactions: Dialamo

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

EDM - Talbot is the starter. But, it would be wise to not extend him a contract until sometime in 2019 to see how he performs. He had an amazing year followed by a terrible year. Need to see how this final year of his contract plays out first.
PHI - pretty much run Elliott out there and have either Stolarz/Lyon as the backup and develop Sandstrom & Hart in the minors
COL - they seem set with Varly and Grubs. Expect them to get a 2-3 year deal done with Grubs and then let Varly walk or flip him now if a team wants him.
VAN - Run Markstrom out there with hopefully Demko as the backup if he's ready. I would send Nilsson to the AHL just in case Demko isn't ready for the NHL and you have to send him back down.

I don't see really any tradable goalies who are upgrades to what these teams had last year, unless Lundqvist or Price want out.

So Halak will have a chance at a No. 1 job after all LOL

And the Panthers may have a chance to offload Reimer. Nice.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour

Oilers?
Hurricanes?
Islanders?
Flyers?
Blues?
Sabres?
Avalanche?
Canucks?

Am I missing any?

Canucks starting goalie situation is very clear - in that we don't have anyone remotely close to being a legit no.1 NHL goalie.
I have high hopes for Demko in the near future, but don't love the idea of throwing him to the wolves this season.

Markstrom should at least increase our chances of uniting the Hughes brothers at the 2019 Draft.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Had high hopes for Markstrom but think he is a backup, or 1B goalie. Hes not bad, just isnt a legit #1. Canucks are just waiting for Demko to be ready to take over.

honestly the expectations are low for this team, I think we are 2 years away from competing for playoffs. So everything is in transition. It's ok to roll another season of Markstrom/Nilsson. 2020 will be the resurgence of the Vancouver Canucks

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Johnson and the Sabres org seem to have burned all bridges. Botterill said he wants Ullmark to be #2 next season so Buffalo is still looking for next year's starting goaltender.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

Oilers?
Hurricanes?
Islanders?
Flyers?
Blues?
Sabres?
Avalanche?
Canucks?

Am I missing any?

I don't really think the Blues have an unclear situation. It's pretty easily Allen and then Husso as the backup.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
So following replies in this thread, it seems the only unsolved starting jobs are:

Hurricanes
Islanders
Sabres

Who are the candidates to fill these voids?

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006

They've also signed 28- year old Mikko Koskinen from SKA Petersburg (I've read on these boards that the contract is worth $2,4M per season). I'd assume Koskinen is planned to be at least backup next season, so I don't think Oilers are actively looking for a goalie right now.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
if the blues go into next season w allen as the absolute #1 i expect us to miss the playoffs again

please do something armstrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad