Value of: NJD-VAN

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
We had a visitor to the Canuck boards today who posted the following:

"just curious...if the devils win the draft lottery and you guys are picking 9th, would you do:

to vancouver: 1st overall, 4th rounder
to NJ: pettersson, 9th overall, 3rd rounder

you immediately replace pettersson with hughes, who has a higher ceiling than pettersson, and you get another brother connection

again, just curious. i come in peace, etc. seems like a good deal for both sides"

I just wanted to get some neutral fans' input on what I think is a deal that clearly favors the Devils.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
That deal seems bad for Vancouver, the difference between Hughes & 9th overall is not Pettersson.

You could make an argument for a Hughes/Pettersson swap straight up, if Vancouver really wanted to reunite the brothers and depending on how high you perceieve Hughes’ ceiling to be.

Personally i’d still say a proven NHL player like Pettersson has slightly more value, even though Hughes is a pretty surefire bet to be an impact NHLer.

As fun as having both brothers on the same team would be (Sedins 2.0) this seems like it would be a step back for the Canucks, given that Pettersson is further along in his development and Hughes is unlikely to be considerably better than Elias.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Are you forrreal? Seriously? What’s with people’s obsession with shiny new toys? Pettersson emerged as a franchise #1 center, and the best rookie in Canucks history, and you want to trade that for someone with potential to hopefully come even close to that, while adding a top ten pick. What an awful idea.

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
Are you forrreal? Seriously? What’s with people’s obsession with shiny new toys? Pettersson emerged as a franchise #1 center, and the best rookie in Canucks history, and you want to trade that for someone with potential to hopefully come even close to that, while adding a top ten pick. What an awful idea.
I think it's worth mentioning that I do not think this is a good trade what-so-ever. This was taken from a fan of another team posting on the Canucks board. He has been quite defensive about his proposal so I thought i was missing something

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Straight up would be pretty close but no point trading the sure thing putting up PPG as a rookie.

Added top 10 pick for NJD would be pure gravy.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I wouldn't trade EP straight up for the 1st pick in the draft.

Turn the tables, would you trade Hischier and the 9th pick for the 1OA? I hope not. EP is a far better player right now, with a far higher ceiling than Hischier.

I wouldn't trade Horvat and #9 for #1, although that is far more reasonable.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
On the Devs boards, this for-fun scenario came up for Sedins 2.0:
Devs win 1 OA, Van 2 OA
Would the Devs trade Van their pick and for what
Woo + Madden+ 2nd was one answer given to make that happen.

Remember, it was a for-fun post, don't loose it.

EDIT: Assets back to Jersey were all, not one of

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Devs win 1 OA, Van 2 OA
Woo/Madden/2nd was one answer given to make that happen.

Benning would easily do 2nd OA+2nd round pick for 1st overall just for marketing reasoning. Me personally I’d rather just take Kakko.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Benning would easily do 2nd OA+2nd round pick for 1st overall just for marketing reasoning. Me personally I’d rather just take Kakko.
Sorry it should have been commas not a /. So the post was ALL of those assets, not ONE of. Sorry for the confusion! And seeing you'd take KK you would be a no I guess?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Mark this Canucks fan as a big ol' no as well. Pettersson is a hit here, he's not someone we'd be trading to upgrade a pick. I don't think there is a fix to make it workable. 1st overall for our 9th plus of course, but...I mean Hischier would be the only play in the to make up the difference for Pettersson being included to me, and then Devils don't touch it.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Devs win 1 OA, Van 2 OA
Woo + Madden+ 2nd was one answer given to make that happen.

EDIT Assets back to jersey were all, not one of

That's a no for me. Difference between Hughes and Kakko is not Woo, Madden and a 2nd.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Sorry it should have been commas not a /. So the post was ALL of those assets, not ONE of. Sorry for the confusion! And seeing you'd take KK you would be a no I guess?
Oh yeah no chance haha. The most i’d Offer is 2nd overall and the high 2nd. Woo and Madden are tracking very well and wouldn’t be included. If it was 7-10th overall, I’d add those two for Hughes however

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
If we were talking about the Canucks moving from 9 to 1 and the Devils have 1 overall, the only thing that might make some kind of sense would be:

Horvat or Boesser
9th overall

for

1st overall

But even if it's fair, New Jersey says no. The immediate impact they'd expect to get from Hughes and Kakko is more valuable than even a Horvat or Boesser and someone who won't be in the NHL for at least another year, much less whether that player is any good.

Bottom line, very hard to trade up from 9 to 1 when the first two picks are supposed to be special prospects.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
If we were talking about the Canucks moving from 9 to 1 and the Devils have 1 overall, the only thing that might make some kind of sense would be:

Horvat or Boesser
9th overall

for

1st overall

But even if it's fair, New Jersey says no. The immediate impact they'd expect to get from Hughes and Kakko is more valuable than even a Horvat or Boesser and someone who won't be in the NHL for at least another year, much less whether that player is any good.

Bottom line, very hard to trade up from 9 to 1 when the first two picks are supposed to be special prospects.

And on the flipside of that, the difference between Hughes and Turcotte/Byram etc. is not Horvat or Boeser.

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Oh wow this one is really, really, really bad.

Pettersson is going to win the Calder at almost a PPG as a smallish 20 year old C. Hughes/Kakko may never become that, plus VAN would be adding a very good player with the 9th OA pick.

If this was 1st overall for Pettersson, I'd still think most Canucks fans would say no. I have no horse in this race and clearly see how bad this proposal is.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Don't they know it's not Wednesday yet?

TELEMMGLPICT000193046824_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RWtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U.jpeg

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Considering Hughes is five times the prospect Pettersson was - thats what the original poster was getting at

So when you try to word it ‘...someone with potential to hopefully come even close to that’ , youre just over-exaggerating. Pettersson doesnt get Hughes straight up, which you tried to imply

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Horrific for VAN...

EP40 is better than Hughes and I'd say by quite a bit
This right here will be funny to look back on

Pettersson wont hold a candle to Hughes and Kakko. 1 goal in his last what 20 games? Yeah that shooting percentage is coming down all right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad