Proposal: Njd/tbl

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Terrible for Tampa. There isn't a cap crunch this year with all the salary moved at the dadline.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Callahan + #14 pick for 7th round pick or useless AHL prospect

Thoughts?

Callahan has a full NMC until after next season. There are no immediate cap issues for us, but after next year his salary drops and he'll be easier to trade if we really need space

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why do Devils fans want Callahan so bad? This is like the 3rd thread. Anyway as someone stated he has a Full NMC. Has to approve any deal and after next season has a modified clause where he submits 8 teams. Those teams will be contenders.

Also Tampa has nearly 20 million in cap to re-sign all their RFAs. Does not even include the cap going up by as much as 3 million and losing a contract to Vegas which is another 2 to 4 million. Other moves will need to be made that will free up cap automatically. Tampa is nowhere close to even looking at a possible cap dump situation.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Why do Devils fans want Callahan so bad? This is like the 3rd thread. Anyway as someone stated he has a Full NMC. Has to approve any deal and after next season has a modified clause where he submits 8 teams. Those teams will be contenders.

Also Tampa has nearly 20 million in cap to re-sign all their RFAs. Does not even include the cap going up by as much as 3 million and losing a contract to Vegas which is another 2 to 4 million. Other moves will need to be made that will free up cap automatically. Tampa is nowhere close to even looking at a possible cap dump situation.
Obviously it is trying to take advantage of a possible cap dump (Callahan) while trying to pry something of value from Tampa. There is not one Devils fan that cares or 'wants' Callahan, only if something in value goes along with it. CMON man.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The other piece of value for Tampa in this trade is that it opens a protection slot for the expansion draft.

Of course, all dependent on Callahan saying yes to a move back to the NY metro area.

So really, the trade is Callahan + #14OA for pick / prospect from NJ + Killorn or Pacquette or whoever is next on the unprotected list.

Just trying to clarify the trade, not speak to its value.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
The other piece of value for Tampa in this trade is that it opens a protection slot for the expansion draft.

Of course, all dependent on Callahan saying yes to a move back to the NY metro area.

So really, the trade is Callahan + #14OA for pick / prospect from NJ + Killorn or Pacquette or whoever is next on the unprotected list.

We want Vegas to take Killorn. He's decent but we want the capspace

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Tampa does not need an extra protection spot, and they don't need to dump cap now, especially at the expense of losing a pick or prospect. It makes no sense. If worse comes to worse, they can buy him out his final season, and only have dead cap for two years with little impact. They don't need cap now.

Last edited:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Callahan is a guy I wouldn't mind taking on. We're a little shallow on RW anyway, so he wouldn't be useless to us. He had an utterly terrible season last year, but he is also one season removed from putting up 50 points.

I noticed that Tampa has two seconds this year. If Tampa traded us Callahan plus their two seconds this year I think I would take that depending on what we're giving up.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
as a devils fan i would do this. i doubt he would waive to NJ tho. and tampa wouldnt do this kind of deal

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
NJD 3rd or no deal.

Callahan is a guy I wouldn't mind taking on. We're a little shallow on RW anyway, so he wouldn't be useless to us. He had an utterly terrible season last year, but he is also one season removed from putting up 50 points.

I noticed that Tampa has two seconds this year. If Tampa traded us Callahan plus their two seconds this year I think I would take that depending on what we're giving up.
Bro you have #1 overall. Stop getting greedy.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
NJD 3rd or no deal.

Bro you have #1 overall. Stop getting greedy.

Hey man, this isn't charity. And while Callahan wouldn't be totally useless to us, we'd still be taking on a guy that scored less than 30 points last season AND he's got three years left AND he's already 32 AND he's got a no trade clause. That's an anchor contract for sure and you're not ridding yourself of that with just a 3rd round pick.

There's no way anyone takes that unless you make it worth their while.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Hey man, this isn't charity. And while Callahan wouldn't be totally useless to us, we'd still be taking on a guy that scored less than 30 points last season AND he's got three years left AND he's already 32 AND he's got a no trade clause. That's an anchor contract for sure and you're not ridding yourself of that with just a 3rd round pick.

There's no way anyone takes that unless you make it worth their while.

OK, then we'll keep him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad