Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Sami Vatanen signs with the Devils (1 year, $2M)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Would have vastly preferred this to overpaying Tanev like we did. Tanev isn't worth double the cap hit and 4 times the term. They are very different players, but at a similar level. Treliving continues his pattern of free agency mistakes. (Neal, Brouwer, Stone, Hiller, Raymond, Engelland) and soon to be Tanev.

Reactions: Morrison

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Good to hear!. His role got smaller for the Hurricanes after Dougie Hamilton got back from injury.

Was really good for the Canes in the play-offs, first few games, one of their best players
- Canes did stupid by dropping Vats from their PP1 him and Aho played perfectly together,
after Hamilton got back it killed their (Canes) chemistry.

No offense meant to you, but I am a Canes fan and he was nowhere close to our best player in the playoffs. He filled in admirably for our team when we were missing our top to RD (Hamilton and Pesce). He slotted next to Slavin for a while, and then was bumped down when Hamilton came back. Vatanen did score some points and looked decent offensively. However, he also got walked every game by the skill players on the Rangers and Bruins. I don't hold it against him as he was learning a no system and also was just coming back from injury (his first games were in the playoffs, not the regular season after the trade deadline). I would rate him a C defensively and a B offensively. He wasn't bad at all, and other Canes fans liked him more than I did. But it is a stretch I think to say he was one of our best players. And LOL Hamilton is a vastly superior player to Vatanen. This is a very bad take.

Edit: I did want to say this is a great deal for the Devils. 1 year at $2M, with the chance to trade him again at the TDL.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Really like the Devils depth on the back-end this year. Sure they don't have any high-end guys unless Subban turns it around, but when Dmitry Kulikov is probably your ~#6 dman, that's not bad at all.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
4sypm2.jpg

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Edit: I did want to say this is a great deal for the Devils. 1 year at $2M, with the chance to trade him again at the TDL.

Thanks, I think Devils fans are pretty realistic about what Sami is at this point. In fact, most of us thought he played more poorly than that for Carolina, so the B/C grade is actually nice to hear, although I do wonder how much of that was because he was playing next to much high quality guys than what the Devils have. Good luck this year.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
low risk with an extremely high reward.
miss the playoffs, sell him at the deadline for a decent pick or prospect.
the devils fulfill their potential early and squeeze into the playoffs... they have a good vet and leader to have around the young guns.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
Would have vastly preferred this to overpaying Tanev like we did. Tanev isn't worth double the cap hit and 4 times the term. They are very different players, but at a similar level. Treliving continues his pattern of free agency mistakes. (Neal, Brouwer, Stone, Hiller, Raymond, Engelland) and soon to be Tanev.

Tanev will be a lot more effective than those guys you listed. Unless you guys need a puck mover more than a defensive stud, Tanev will be a much better fit.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Couldn’t get the stability of a multi-year deal that he was longing for so reverted back to familiar surroundings for another year, or at least until TDL. COVID-friendly deal was probably the very best his agent could get right now no matter how hard he huffed and puffed. Team liked him and his effort level, and vice versa. Makes perfect sense for both parties. Well done.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Good addition to one of the worst defences in NHL. If he has no injuries, 2nd round pick+ isn't that unrealistic at the TDL.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It's a steal of a contract. If he can actually play a healthy season, he should get closer to 4 million or more on his next deal (assuming he plays like before). I guess he kinda realized his options were limited. Great contract for the Devils.
no 1 year deal can be considerd a "steal", but he's definitely an upgrade to their top 6 d corps , they should be much more solid this season

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I love these one year deals for proven players on what will probably be another down year for the Devils. Sign him, hope he plays well and stays healthy, then move him for future at the deadline. Especially at 2 Mil they can easily retain and deal him.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
At the deadline with 50% retention your looking at a prorated cap hit of like 500K.

If he has a good year that could be a real good return

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Would have taken a shot at him on Detroit for that much, easily

Surprised other, more competitive teams didn't pony up like others said in this thread

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
awesome signing, does this mean Ty Smith likely wont make the team?

Starting with 8D on the main roster seems like an option. We'll have a few bubble forwards who won't require waivers, so there's more flexibility there. Will Butcher missed today's practice with a thumb injury, but no idea of the severity. Also there'll be the quarantine period Vatanen will be subject to coming back from Finland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad