Speculation: NJD Offseason Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Our LHD depth is putrid. I'm more worried about long-term LHD than I am any other position, even up front.

There's Greene.. and mostly junk. What happens when Greene's play starts to slip? We are loaded on the right side with young NHL players and good prospects.. but our left side looks to be horrible.

I'd rather draft an LHD at 11 than a RW, I'll tell you that. Definitely go BPA but hopefully it's a leftie..

At least there is something there!
Check out this link and see where we are on RO:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/new_jersey_devils/

Yes lefties CAN move to the right easier than D
But there's one guy!

I guess they take a RW/C and then D with later picks

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Our LHD depth is putrid. I'm more worried about long-term LHD than I am any other position, even up front.

There's Greene.. and mostly junk. What happens when Greene's play starts to slip? We are loaded on the right side with young NHL players and good prospects.. but our left side looks to be horrible.

I'd rather draft an LHD at 11 than a RW, I'll tell you that. Definitely go BPA but hopefully it's a leftie..

Perhaps that's why they're trying Severson on the left side in the AHL.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Speers is looking like something special for the Devils. He is a great all around 2-way guy, but his sizes shows in his play

He probably has another two years to go...right now he's listed at 183 lbs., you'd have to think he's going to be closer to 200 lbs in a couple of years?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
He probably has another two years to go...right now he's listed at 183 lbs., you'd have to think he's going to be closer to 200 lbs in a couple of years?

At 183 in his teens, he should easily hit 200. By far the most underrated prospect in our system. People should be legitimately excited about this kid, but he doesn't get much attention outside of this message board. You almost never hear msg, the Devils team media, or any average fans mentioning him. He's going to take a lot of people by surprise.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

If he is going to be 200 lbs he is going to be adding a lot of fat. He won't be gaining 17 pounds of muscle. He is 5'11 so 185-190 pounds should be fine depending on how much muscle he has on his frame and his body fat %.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If he is going to be 200 lbs he is going to be adding a lot of fat. He won't be gaining 17 pounds of muscle. He is 5'11 so 185-190 pounds should be fine depending on how much muscle he has on his frame and his body fat %.

He could easily add 10-15 pounds of lean mass over the course of a few years. Not difficult whatsoever, especially considering he'll have access to world class trainers, dieticians, etc. And if there is 5 pounds of fat along with it (which is pretty much inevitable), who cares? A little extra beef doesn't hurt at the NHL level if he doesn't sacrifice too much speed.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
He could easily add 10-15 pounds of lean mass over the course of a few years. Not difficult whatsoever, especially considering he'll have access to world class trainers, dieticians, etc. And if there is 5 pounds of fat along with it (which is pretty much inevitable), who cares? A little extra beef doesn't hurt at the NHL level if he doesn't sacrifice too much speed.

Over the summer I'm sure he could add 4-5 pounds of muscle provided he is training hard in the weight room and has an understanding of nutrition. Of course there is going to be fat gained along with it, but I would imagine he would be able to lose that over the course of the season. And it won't have much of an effect, yea, hockey players aren't typically 8% body fat like say MMA fighters.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
At 183 in his teens, he should easily hit 200. By far the most underrated prospect in our system. People should be legitimately excited about this kid, but he doesn't get much attention outside of this message board. You almost never hear msg, the Devils team media, or any average fans mentioning him. He's going to take a lot of people by surprise.
I'm cautiously optimistic. It just seems so far away right now for him.

But I will say, should we add another 2 or 3 promising prospects at this years draft, next year is going to fun to monitor the progress of these young players. With Speers, White and Blackwood(assuming he does another year) in the CHL add a couple more we'll have a lot to keep an eye on.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

I like his playmaking chops better than anyone else in our system.

Also strikes me as the sort of guy who will have a letter on his chest sooner rather than later.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I can't wait for camp and preseason...I can't wait to see a preseason game with Zacha,
Boucher, Quenneville, Wood,
Blandisi all in the lineup at once...and hopefully Coleman :)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't wait for camp and preseason...I can't wait to see a preseason game with Zacha,
Boucher, Quenneville, Wood,
Blandisi all in the lineup at once...and hopefully Coleman :)

Don't forget Tootoo, 5-13-16 is approaching very fast!

Well he probably won't be re-signed until he's medically cleared. So I'm thinking it might be sometime in July.

Though it would just be our luck to think we've dodged the Tootoo bullet, then a week before training camp begins, it's announced that he's been re-signed to a one year deal. So September 13th might be the date to look out for now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I love how Tootoo would be the third best right wing on our depth chart.

Umm what?

Tootoo wouldn't be the third best ANYTHING on our depth chart.

He'd be the third best turd if we re-signed Ruutu and and signed Steve Ott or some **** in UFA. Or if we re-signed Ruutu and played Warsofsky every night. He'd be the third best turd on our depth chart.

Group Chat Legend*

Gionta should be the only one of those goons to stay, locker room reasons.

Ruutu Tootoo Farnham all need to go.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I want the cord cut on Gio but I won't lose my mind if he is resigned as long as we cut the cord with the rest of the scrap heap.

I couldn't defend bringing Tootoo back.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Gionta should be the only one of those goons to stay, locker room reasons.

Ruutu Tootoo Farnham all need to go.

Time to move on from Gionta, I think.

I understand not ditching him prior to the season or mid-season, but he doesn't have the speed and tenacity he had two-three years ago. Without that, he is way too small to play the role he is playing now. He just gets abused out there on a nightly basis. If we want to sign someone to get in on the forecheck, hit, and use his speed, then just keep Farnham around. I'd rather use JJ, Kalinin, or Pietila as the 4C who fills in on the PK.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gionta gets a hefty AHL salary and replaces Pelley there, to be honest.

I want the cord cut on Gio but I won't lose my mind if he is resigned as long as we cut the cord with the rest of the scrap heap.

I couldn't defend bringing Tootoo back.

One thing that I realized upon reflecting is that thankfully Hynes never used Gionta above a fourth line role this season. He did play the PK and would fill in for Blandisi at times when we were holding a lead, but we never went into a game with him as the 4C, as far as I can remember. Just on that, I wouldn't hate it if he returns seeing we finally has a coach that doesn't play him higher up in the line-up, but I would rather move on from him.

Last edited:

Group Chat Legend*

Time to move on from Gionta.

I understand not ditching him prior to the season or mid-season, but he doesn't have the speed and tenacity he had two-three years ago. Without that, he is way too small to play the role he is playing now. If we want to sign someone to get in on the forecheck, hit, and use his speed, then just keep Farnham around.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a hefty AHL salary and replaces Pelley there, to be honest.

Ill be happy if Gionta is gone - figure coaches might keep him though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad