Salary Cap: NJD Major Offseason Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Since the current season continues to turn south, and the apparent desire in the general discussion to discuss potential offseason moves (and now that we are flush with extra picks there is more ammo to talk about it).

Will now open this thread. Please try and keep offseason moves and talk to this thread and general discussion more for the current team (even if the only thing to discuss is the progress of our younger players).

Again understand posters wanting to find silver linings in loses, but out right crys for tanking may still be considered trolling. Use your best judgement.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
first thing we need to do is extend Schlemko

I would give him 2-3 years at ~$3 million/year

as I mentioned last night, next thing would be to let all the crap in the bottom 6 go. this includes Gionta, Ruutu, Tootoo, and Farnham. Kennedy is fine I guess but if you sign him, just do it for 1 year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

as I mentioned last night, next thing would be to let all the crap in the bottom 6 go. this includes Gionta, Ruutu, Tootoo, and Farnham. Kennedy is fine I guess but if you sign him, just do it for 1 year.

The whole bottom 6 besides JJ and Kalinin are UFAs correct?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Idk i've always been on the pro-gio camp (if it even exists). he gets put in terrible situations, but other than that, i really do think he's fine as a bottom 6. same w farnham (plus we can't scrap all the scrappers on our team!)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Idk i've always been on the pro-gio camp (if it even exists). he gets put in terrible situations, but other than that, i really do think he's fine as a bottom 6. same w farnham (plus we can't scrap all the scrappers on our team!)

Some guys have to come back or we are faced with the old to much roster turnover issue. Gio I'm on the fence, but we should be done with Ruutu and Tootoo.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Gio as either a 13th forward or 4th line winger is fine.

Gio I believe is a large part of that locker room. Which is always a factor, he might not give much offense but he is speedy, good on the forecheck, hits, and can PK well.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we're gonna re sign Kennedy, he needs to be brought back with the idea that he's a 4th liner next year when the team is healthy.

Make a 4th line out of him with Josefson and Kalinin, I can't complain too much about that.

But when that's the 3rd line, GTFO with that. That's the main reason why we don't score any goals with the 3rd line, because it's really a 4th line.

But as I've said, I don't think Shero meant for it to be this way when the season started. You had Tlusty and I'm not sure if they knew Elias would be out to start or how severe his injury was when they signed Tlusty the day before camp. And they maybe thought Kennedy was still a 3rd liner at this point.

Tlusty just completely fell off the face of the earth. And he might have figured that Matteau could be a decent 3rd liner, or that Boucher was going to produce and not have to be sent down 3 games into the season.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
we need to cleanse ourselves of the Gionta stank

he stinks. if his name was Johnson or Smith, you guys would hate him

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

ha no way, as much as we love "big" gio, it's been an eternity since he's been here and there isn't much sentimentality. he plays bigger than his size and hits a ton. the only reason why people are so negative on him is he always gets played on PK and in terrible situations, which is something i don't really understand about the coaches... it's a question i'll prob never get the answer to

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I doubt anyone actually thinks of Big Gio when it comes to lil Gio.

Maybe in 2012, but he is his own player right now. He is a 4th line winger, or 13th forward. He does have uses he just can't be played over his head anymore.

We really need Ruutu and Tootoo gone as they are bigger blackholes then Gio right now.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think there's a 55% chance that one of Tootoo or Gionta is brought back next season.

If you put a gun to my head, I'm gonna blurt out to keep Gionta, before I even find out if the it is even loaded or not or even not a toy gun.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think there's a 55% chance that one of Tootoo or Gionta is brought back next season.

If you put a gun to my head, I'm gonna blurt out to keep Gionta, before I even find out if the it is even loaded or not or even not a toy gun.

If I had to pick I pick Gio every time. I am completely done with Tootoo.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Let them all go. It's not like all the fringe NHL guys are going to be snapped up in the offseason. I'd rather be sure we can't fill from within or upgrade on the market before giving commitments to guys we know aren't very good.

I mean if you go year to year with them, it's not crippling but guys like Gionta and Tootoo just take up space.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If I had to pick I pick Gio every time. I am completely done with Tootoo.

I don't understand the fascination with this guy. I think Farnham is the better player right now, even the fluky goal scoring ability aside.

He's been a healthy scratch one time all year, it was back in December. He's back on the power play last night, after being taken off a while ago. He and Ruutu both end up with more icetime than Kalinin last night. Not that I think Kalinin is very good, but wasn't he supposed to be with Zajac and Palmieri to go up against the other teams top lines?

I also have this paranoia that Shero and him are buddies from the Nashville days, so he's a Shero guy like Kennedy. But Ray has to see that he's done, but it doesn't seem like the coaching staff has yet.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Let them all go. It's not like all the fringe NHL guys are going to be snapped up in the offseason. I'd rather be sure we can't fill from within or upgrade on the market before giving commitments to guys we know aren't very good.

I mean if you go year to year with them, it's not crippling but guys like Gionta and Tootoo just take up space.

I mean I imagine Shero will have a decent enough idea about how many spots in the bottom 6 he can fill from within (I doubt we can fill every spot).

Gio is a locker room guy and has some uses. I'm for casting most of the fat off, but I think its unrealistic to expect all of them to be gone in one offseason.

I feel like someone is going to have to actually take Gio's spot before we are finally done with him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I'm at the point that I want Sislo up here more than Tootoo.

And everyone here is probably well aware with the fact that I HATE Sislo as an NHL player.

That's provided Sislo is played strictly on the 4th line and doesn't get power play time. His offense is terrible at this level and he will bring a few less points than Tootoo a year. Quite literally just a few less. But I'm gonna say that he likely hurts us less, because he doesn't ensure that his line ends up pinned in the defensive zone for 62 seconds at a time every night.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't understand the fascination with this guy. I think Farnham is the better player right now, even the fluky goal scoring ability aside.

He's been a healthy scratch one time all year, it was back in December. He's back on the power play last night, after being taken off a while ago. He and Ruutu both end up with more icetime than Kalinin last night. Not that I think Kalinin is very good, but wasn't he supposed to be with Zajac and Palmieri to go up against the other teams top lines?

I also have this paranoia that Shero and him are buddies from the Nashville days, so he's a Shero guy like Kennedy. But Ray has to see that he's done, but it doesn't seem like the coaching staff has yet.

Well we don't have many other choices to play over Tootoo right now other then Smith-Pelly. That should be fixed next year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean I imagine Shero will have a decent enough idea about how many spots in the bottom 6 he can fill from within (I doubt we can fill every spot).

Gio is a locker room guy and has some uses. I'm for casting most of the fat off, but I think its unrealistic to expect all of them to be gone in one offseason.

I feel like someone is going to have to actually take Gio's spot before we are finally done with him.

If they consider the Josefson at 3C experiment a failure, as they very well should, I think he should take Gionta's spot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

What board do you think this is? 90% of the people here hate Gio (while at the arena he's a fan favorite judging by reactions when he gets introduced, go figure). If anything a big part of the reason why he gets hated here is because he's associated with the old guard for obvious reasons IMO.

He's really not as bad as he's made out to be but next year he'll likely be gone and we'll have some other crappy fourth-liner to kick around, god help us if it's Tootoo again or if Kennedy becomes new management's pet.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What board do you think this is? 90% of the people here hate Gio. If anything a big part of the reason why is because he's associated with the old guard for obvious reasons IMO.

He's really not as bad as he's made out to be but next year he'll likely be gone and we'll have some other crappy fourth-liner to kick around, god help us if it's Tootoo again.

I have to say, I'm mildly frightened by your Tootoo comment there!

Last night, you seemed to think he was gone. Please tell me you didn't have a nightmare after I posted about my May 13th scenario!:laugh:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
So much dross on the roster, heading into the offseason. I don't envy the cleanup job that Ray has in front of him.

My two cents on Gionta, he sucks and absolutely should be one of the first let go. I don't care how well liked he is. If the players are too precious to see that this is a business, then we have an even bigger problem on our hands.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have to say, I'm mildly frightened by your Tootoo comment there!

Last night, you seemed to think he was gone. Please tell me you didn't have a nightmare after I posted about my May 13th scenario!:laugh:

I hope he's gone, let's put it that way. But they have played him all year in spite of bad numbers and the fact he's easily disposable and he/Ray do have a history so there's always the .2% chance. And I foolishly thought we wouldn't have signed Tootoo if Lou didn't offer him a deal before the changeover given how quickly Ray cut ties with Gomez/Bernier, maybe I was wrong about that. We'll find out this offseason when it's Ray offering the contract or not.

I do think Kennedy's a better bet to be brought back than Tootoo though, especially since he's also a Shero/Hynes guy. And acquiring Smith-Pelly also lessens the chances of a Tootoo return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad