Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Dougie Hamilton signs with the Devils (7 years, $9M AAV) [Part II]

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
It can be debated for years if Hamilton was worth this deal - but I think that in itself means it was a good UFA deal

This is because almost half of the UFA deals we tend to see I can go 'okay yeah thats bad' from the moment its signed. Not 'in years 4-7 itll be bad'

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Is Dougie still “weird” or has that been settled/explained?
Dougie is most definitely weird, but that’s not a bad thing IMO. He has a playful, goofy approach to a lot of things which can rub some people the wrong way, but it was never a problem in Carolina and most fans loved it.

one of my favorite Dougie moments was when he blocked Barkov’s shot late in a tight game and then waived his finger at Barkov like Dikembe Mutombo.

I suspect fans in Nj will love him.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I always hear this but never hear any specifics or stories or seen anything that strikes me as weird.
Weird as in like makes miniature dolls out of human hair he finds in the shower from his teammates hair weird or weird like he likes to put cheese on his Apple pie weird ?
Because if it’s the cheese on pie thing then yes, that’s gross and I want him immediately traded.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I always hear this but never hear any specifics or stories or seen anything that strikes me as weird.
Weird as in like makes miniature dolls out of human hair he finds in the shower from his teammates hair weird or weird like he likes to put cheese on his Apple pie weird ?
Because if it’s the cheese on pie thing then yes, that’s gross and I want him immediately traded.
but you would definitely buy one of the pupic hair puppets.

i heard the jack hughes pupic hair puppets are very rare, as he hardly grows any pupic hair.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Excellent answer, thanks.

Reactions: Eggtimer

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think the big thing that I need to say is that how I view Carolina's offseason has almost nothing to do with how I view Dougie Hamilton. I love Dougie and still love Dougie even while he's on a different team. I think Devils fans are going to love his game, especially considering the sort of players that their fans are probably used to seeing on their right side.

The issue here in Carolina is that they want to fill their salary cap with large and long-term extensions with their young and home-grown talent, such as Svechnikov and Necas, while at the same time not needing to rely on ELCs to get under the cap before these players are truly ready for the NHL. A UFA contract as large as a 7x$9M AAV was never going to fit into such a structure, and would've likely meant either bridge contracts for both or 3rd and 4th lines filled with both not-ready ELC players and fringe guys making near the league minimum.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
one of my favorite Dougie moments was when he blocked Barkov’s shot late in a tight game and then waived his finger at Barkov like Dikembe Mutombo.
I think my favorite 'Dougie Moment' was him patting Nelson on the head during the handshake line after beating the Islanders, because Nelson had tapped one of our goalies on the head after an Islanders goal.

It was just the perfect amount of petty.

LameMildBuzzard-max-1mb.gif

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think the big thing that I need to say is that how I view Carolina's offseason has almost nothing to do with how I view Dougie Hamilton. I love Dougie and still love Dougie even while he's on a different team. I think Devils fans are going to love his game, especially considering the sort of players that their fans are probably used to seeing on their right side.

The issue here in Carolina is that they want to fill their salary cap with large and long-term extensions with their young and home-grown talent, such as Svechnikov and Necas, while at the same time not needing to rely on ELCs to get under the cap before these players are truly ready for the NHL. A UFA contract as large as a 7x$9M AAV was never going to fit into such a structure, and would've likely meant either bridge contracts for both or 3rd and 4th lines filled with both not-ready ELC players and fringe guys making near the league minimum.
Makes sense . I never understood why Carolina didn’t seem to want to match NJs offer or try to retain him. Same with him getting traded from Calgary ? Why? Thanks for the post .

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
He chased the money, that’s for sure.
Not really. Him and his agent targeted a team with the biggest need and it was NJ. And NJ had a huge need for him and they were locked in on trying to get him. Yes he was looking for a good offer but I do t see this as him being a total mercenary looking to squeeze every penny he can chasing a $

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad