Waived: [NJD] Devils waive Nikita Gusev

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Isn’t their a rule that you can only retain 3 players max at one time?

It is. But as far as I can tell they’re not retaining on anyone right now, and if they retain on Gusev it’s for literal weeks before it’s off the books again. I don’t think they’re about to be pinched by the 3-retain limit in this season’s remaining weeks. For it to matter they’d need to be making three other retention trades in addition to this one. I don’t think they’re quite in that much of a fire sale mode yet.

I do think they should try to do better than a 7th, and teams that want him at reduced salary should negotiate a worthwhile deal. But the 3-retain limit shouldn’t be a limiting factor here.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I really wished Goose got a chance to play somewhere. He was one of my favorite Devils to watch. Guy has skill and some flash , but was just not putting it all together this year. Given the right line mates and system , I hope he can still be an NHL player.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

They'll probably trade him at 50% for a 3rd. I can't imagine many playoff teams being desperate enough to give up a 2nd for a struggling player, but a team with 1m in space looking for a bit more offense (NYI?) might be interested.

Surprised Detroit didn't claim him. I guess Stevie Y holds a grudge.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
They'll probably trade him at 50% for a 3rd. I can't imagine many playoff teams being desperate enough to give up a 2nd for a struggling player, but a team with 1m in space looking for a bit more offense (NYI?) might be interested.

Surprised Detroit didn't claim him. I guess Stevie Y holds a grudge.

I could see Minnesota being interested. They have a need for RH forwards and the PP needs all the help it can get. Maybe a deal around Bjugstad.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Devils fans were insufferable that summer. "We had the best offsesason! Hughes! Subban! Simmonds! Gusev!!!"

oh man. The Devils are definitely the worst metro NYC team for this. remember how insufferable their fans were when they brought in Lindros+Bure+Naslund? and Gomez+Drury? or ReddenGaborikRichardsStLouisYandleNashShattenkirkStaalKakkoLafreniere

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
oh man. The Devils are definitely the worst metro NYC team for this. remember how insufferable their fans were when they brought in Lindros+Bure+Naslund? and Gomez+Drury? or ReddenGaborikRichardsStLouisYandleNashShattenkirkStaalKakkoLafreniere
Those last two are under the age of 21 bit early to rush expectations. Also quite a few of those worked out positively for them. Also funny how you left out the guy signed the same offseason as Gusev.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Those last two are under the age of 21 bit early to rush expectations. Also quite a few of those worked out positively for them. Also funny how you left out the guy signed the same offseason as Gusev.

and yet you missed how he brought up Hughes

whoopsie goldberg

but yea, I forgot Trouba. Hard to keep track of all the past+future buyouts and cap dumps

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Do you remember when the Rangers had the fastest completed rebuild ever (Fox! Trouba! Laf!)? They weren't insufferable at all after that.
Don’t forget about The Letter, it was such a legendary communication to the Rangers STH so it’s important that everyone in the hockey world hear about it. Often, even years later.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Don’t forget about The Letter, it was such a legendary communication to the Rangers STH so it’s important that everyone in the hockey world hear about it. Often, even years later.
One of the few things people will remember the Rangers for.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
44 points in 66 games on a team where nobody had more than 45 points is a pretty good rookie season to be fair(even at his age)

Putting up points when the games are basically meaningless is far different than producing steadily when the team is playing for a playoff spot. Think the division with heavy teams like Boston in addition to Washington, Pittsburgh, and the Islanders didn't do him any favors.

He could probably have success were he playing in the west or Canada divisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad