Waived: [NJD] Devils waive Nikita Gusev

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Really thought he was going to be in for a big year this season with the way he finished last year. Just never quite figured it out though. Unsure if it's just not meshing with Ruff or what, but he's been pretty awful.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
What’s his truculence factor? Asking for a friend.
5cd6f4842100005900c85491.jpeg

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He probably was offered around before getting waived so I’d say nobody bites unless they have the cap space and plan on trading a F and wants someone to fill in that position

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
He showed a lot last year, but was terrible this season. Awful defensively and too slow for the modern NHL. Hope he gets claimed if only because I'd like to see him get another NHL shot and it wasn't working out in NJ but I imagine he isn't. Seems likely he'll be in the KHL next year.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Its a strange situation with how he just stopped being effective.

Goose was pretty good last season, have no idea what actually changed for him to be so less effective.

Most of his skills looks the same. Same hands, shiftiness, slightly below average speed (ie. SLOW relatively), but his play with the puck was just not good. He'd force and fumble plays, his shot looked solid, but never really made it to net much. Last year he was potting goals, making some sweet/brainy plays.

I know partial coaching staff overhaul since Hynes era left, but effectively he is mostly looking like same player, except his hockey-sense seems to have dipped a lot, and therefore he's literally not been useful much this season.

I think he did get hit with COVID earlier, but still strange all around? Or was sidelined because of exposure at some point. Either he just fell out of favor which coaches and in turn half-assed it, or something else is up...

Last edited:

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Have to imagine if he goes unclaimed he strongly considers a position in the NHLs players safety department.

Reactions: Morrison

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
We've been talking about low cost L2/L3 LW prospects to go get for the Pens, and Gusev was one of them to consider. I wonder if we claim him and close up shop for the year. Worst comes to worst we waive him again and NJD can bury him in the minors if they want him back.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He does have an 8 team no trade list so there is a chance he was offered in a trade, but wouldn't go to a team that wanted him.

With that being said one would think that he'd go anywhere that wanted him at this point. UFA that is probably wanting another NHL payday.

Reactions: Morrison

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
he will not get claimed due to his $4m salary. if someone wants him they'll wait until he inevitably clears and then get NJ to either retain salary or take salary back. they aren't going to take on that amount of money remaining this year in the middle of a pandemic for nikita gusev. and yes, i'm aware that the salary is pro-rated for the remainder of the year, but we're still talking about well over a million dollars for ~20 games of nikita gusev. no ownership is going to approve that expense. galchenyuk cleared waivers at $1.05m.

if people would start talking salary/cap hit into account then we'd no longer have to deal with the absurd amount of "player who is not particularly good and is making a ton of money will definitely get claimed off waivers" posts that continuously pop up. literally none of these predictions have ever been correct. not before the pandemic and definitely not now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vagrant and Kahvi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad