Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] Devils re-sign Sharangovich (2 years, $2 million AAV)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Good contract. Even if he produces 40 points next season (20 goals , 20 assists) than that is really good for a 2 million dollar cap hit. He was fun to watch last season , him playing in the KHL before coming back to North America really unlocked his goal scoring capability. He lit up the KHL with goals and it translated to his NHL game. I know he wont be an elite goal scorer but for a 5th round pick if he can hit 30 goals than that's a flat out steal of a pick.

Reactions: Eegs

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I am disappointed with this deal. I was hoping they would try and get him on a longer deal with a higher AAV to try and generate a :value" contract down the road.

I'm not a NJD fan (NYI), but it seems reasonably hard to project whether he'll be a 20-25 goal/40 point guy, or much better than that. So, negotiating a longer-term deal seems difficult. NYI were in a similar position with Brock Nelson before his 2nd contract (but he was younger). I think NJ did fine.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I'm not a NJD fan (NYI), but it seems reasonably hard to project whether he'll be a 20-25 goal/40 point guy, or much better than that. So, negotiating a longer-term deal seems difficult.
It is. I know it would have been a risk, but IMO he is a good 3rd liner at worse. If he got a 4 year deal the extra AAV could only possibly matter after the first 2 years. It is fine that he is back just hoping the Devils would weaponize their cap space that way, as opposed to bringing in declining players like PK Subban,

Reactions: saintunspecified

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It is. I know it would have been a risk, but IMO he is a good 3rd liner at worse. If he got a 4 year deal the extra AAV could only possibly matter after the first 2 years. It is fine that he is back just hoping the Devils would weaponize their cap space that way, as opposed to bringing in declining players like PK Subban,

The problem with giving him term would be if Holtz, Mercer, Foote ect all hit then you've got a 4-5 million dollar hit playing on the 3rd of 4th line
Bridging him seems like the best idea, just to see where the kids are before giving out a long term deal

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
The problem with giving him term would be if Holtz, Mercer, Foote ect all hit then you've got a 4-5 million dollar hit playing on the 3rd of 4th line
Bridging him seems like the best idea, just to see where the kids are before giving out a long term deal
It is a risk both ways. Rango may not have wanted to do it. It is strange no one worries about UFAs having a big cap that decline during the contract but it would be terrible to have a young player that worked hard on his game make a little more than he "deserves".

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It is a risk both ways. Rango may not have wanted to do it. It is strange no one worries about UFAs having a big cap that decline during the contract but it would be terrible to have a young player that worked hard on his game make a little more than he "deserves".

If possible I would have preferred to see a 4-5 year deal but who knows what Rango would be asking for to get that many years, it could have been 5+
I'm satisfied with a 2 year deal, as for the UFA part, are you talking about Hamilton? If so, I think people tend to be more concerned when the decline actually starts to happen, when they get the player they're just excited to get a new guy

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
If possible I would have preferred to see a 4-5 year deal but who knows what Rango would be asking for to get that many years, it could have been 5+
I'm satisfied with a 2 year deal, as for the UFA part, are you talking about Hamilton? If so, I think people tend to be more concerned when the decline actually starts to happen, when they get the player they're just excited to get a new guy
The 2 years is fine, but I thought this was a chance to weaponize the current cap space. I was not referring to Hamilton or anyone specific, just the mindset of not worrying about 4 years or whatever down the road when an older player declines. As example, multiple times on the Devils board posts were made prior to trading Palms they should sign him for 4-5 years and not worry that he is not worth his contract in the last few years. Just play him as a 3RW. If you say the same about an up and coming player that could break out, suddenly everybody is worried he may not be worth it in 4 years. Just never makes sense to me to be more concerned about a player going into his prime than ones leaving it.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The 2 years is fine, but I thought this was a chance to weaponize the current cap space. I was not referring to Hamilton or anyone specific, just the mindset of not worrying about 4 years or whatever down the road when an older player declines. As example, multiple times on the Devils board posts were made prior to trading Palms they should sign him for 4-5 years and not worry that he is not worth his contract in the last few years. Just play him as a 3RW. If you say the same about an up and coming player that could break out, suddenly everybody is worried he may not be worth it in 4 years. Just never makes sense to me to be more concerned about a player going into his prime than ones leaving it.

Ah I get it, it's odd but people totally do think like that. I'm 100% behind locking up young, core players for as long as possible.. I'm not sure Rango meets that criteria though
I was fully on board with trading Palms, Hall and anyone else but would have preferred to go the Coleman route over the waiting until the TDL route like they did

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad