Confirmed Trade: [NJD/COL] Ryan Graves for Mikhail Maltsev and 2021 2nd round pick

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
What is NJD going to do with Graves? They already have good young defencemen especially on the left side. Colorado should convert the 2nd + Maltsev for an elite 2nd line centre or another elite defencemen.

Play him. They do have young defensemen coming but most are a year (or more) away. Should be an upgrade from the Butchers, Carrick and Seversons that played a lot of minutes last year.

If they can add Ristolainen the prospects look a lot brighter in 2021-22.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just browsing Hockey Reference

I see Graves was 2nd on the Avalanche in hits
1st in blocked shots
3rd Dman in Takeaways
4th Dman in ATOI
4th Dman in Points - With all of his points coming at Even Strength.

EDIT: He was also Colorado's #1 PKer in time on Ice.

He was 2nd in Dman Playoff scoring with 6 points and 5 of them coming at Even Strength and the highest +/- Dman in the playoffs...I know how out of fashion +/- is but relative to his teammates it gives me some information go on.

Now I will admit that I am not intimately familiar with his game, that's why I am looking at at Hockey Reference...But I did watch the Avalache in the playoffs this season.

The narratives I am reading on this thread don't seem match the stat sheet?

Last edited:

Pual Statsny

Overpaid, overrated
Jul 22, 2010
Awesometown

1st in blocked shots
3rd Dman in Takeaways
4th Dman in ATOI

He was 2nd in Dman Playoff scoring with 6 points and 5 of them coming at Even Strength and the highest +/- Dman in the playoffs...I know how out of fashion +/- is but relative to his teammates it gives me some information go on.

Now I will admit that I am not intimately familiar with his game, that's why I am looking at at Hockey Reference...But I did watch the Avalache in the playoffs this season.

dave farrish is that you

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
It's completely okay that Graves doesn't make much sense for Colorado moving forward at his play & hit and his fans don't think that he's very good (in comparison to what they have and what is coming up) and yet he's an active upgrade to what the Devils have and does make sense for them to acquire and put into their lineup.

Its a fine move for both sides

Reactions: Mac Attack

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

1st in blocked shots
3rd Dman in Takeaways
4th Dman in ATOI

Graves numbers are inflated due to playing on the AVs. He’s not terrible. Works and try’s hard, but low IQ trying to do more than capable.

He was a cap, surplus and expansion casualty. Bryam and McDonald are cheaper and ready replacement.

NJD won the trade and AVs recoup assets for a player they would have lost for nothing.

Reactions: McJedi

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's completely okay that Graves doesn't make much sense for Colorado moving forward at his play & hit and his fans don't think that he's very good (in comparison to what they have and what is coming up) and yet he's an active upgrade to what the Devils have and does make sense for them to acquire and put into their lineup.

Its a fine move for both sides

See I am doing my best to be unbiased but...

Here is my thought process;

Colorado was the best regular season team in the league: Graves was their 4th Dman and #1 Penalty Killer

For the 60th pick and Maltsev?

Like I said I am trying my best to be unbiased... but on the surface it looks like Fitzgerald bent Sakic over a barrel.

No regular NHL Dman should be that cheap...That is what the Devils paid to San Jose for Mirco Muller before the last expansion draft.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008

Colorado was the best regular season team in the league: Graves was their 4th Dman and #1 Penalty Killer

Like I said I am trying my best to be unbiased... but on the surface it looks like Fitzgerald bent Sakic over a barrel.

No regular NHL Dman should be that cheap...That is what the Devils paid to San Jose for Mirco Muller before the last expansion draft.
he'd be #5 if EJ weren't a bandaid (and the way Byram played before if he didn't drop off Graves would still be the #5 if he weren't injured too). He's perfectly fine as a bottom pairing guy that doesn't look completely out of place when called up to the second pairing and on the first PK unit (his ability to clear the puck out of the zone is severely lacking, but he's rarely out of position on the PK).

He pinches a too often and although he has a decent slapshot it rarely makes it through. We were likely losing him to Seattle anyway, so this let us get some assets instead and makes Seattle take a bigger contract off the books for us (unless they really want Logan O'Conner), so it's hard to consider it a big loss. If it works out for the Devils, it can be a win-win.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018

He was the #1 PK guy because their best defence man are better utilized at powerplay and even strength. He was their #4 dman because Erik Johnson was injured (he also would have had more pk minutes) , and Bowen Byram was for a lot of the season as well. (Byram would have overtaken him this season if healthy making him Colorado's #6). However, Graves is a useful player and I think that this is a fair deal. As far as I know Av's fan have never expected more than a second and a third for him long before this deal took place. I'm happy we got something instead of giving him to Seattle for free.

Reactions: Forge

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

It's a question of timing. A 2nd rounder and waiver-exempt 4th liner isn't bad value in the context that Graves would have been lost for nothing and that there weren't many teams willing to acquire a Dman prior to expansion. Graves is also very replaceable for the Avs, not least because Byram is making the team outright this season.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It’s a fine deal on both sides. The Avs clear cap space and get assets for a player who was Seattle bound since he wasn’t really working out well in Colorado. The Devils get a #5 who could possibly be a #4 if NJ’s coaching staff can get him to realize he’s not the second coming of Bobby Orr and he plays within his game. Yes Graves is a flawed player but if he wasn’t he would be pricing himself out of Colorado now.

Reactions: Forge

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He was the #1 PK guy because their best defence man are better utilized at powerplay and even strength. He was their #4 dman because Erik Johnson was injured (he also would have had more pk minutes) , and Bowen Byram was for a lot of the season as well. (Byram would have overtaken him this season if healthy making him Colorado's #6). However, Graves is a useful player and I think that this is a fair deal. As far as I know Av's fan have never expected more than a second and a third for him long before this deal took place. I'm happy we got something instead of giving him to Seattle for free.

But with him in the position of being your #1 PKer and picking up the minutes for EJ and/or Byram you were the best team in the league.

Him filling those roles didn't seem to hurt your team - In fact Colorado was the 8th best PK% Unit in the League and Graves was your #1 Penalty Killer. That actually sounds like a significant loss to me.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
But with him in the position of being your #1 PKer and picking up the minutes for EJ and/or Byram you were the best team in the league.

Him filling those roles didn't seem to hurt your team - In fact Colorado was the 8th best PK% Unit in the League and Graves was your #1 Penalty Killer. That actually sounds like a significant loss to me.

It's not that significant for this Avs team, but I'll tell you the Devils stole the hope diamond with this trade if that is what you want

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site

It is in some way, you are right, but the Avs will have Byram next season, and hopefully EJ, as effective PKers next season, not to say Toews who was a rock on PK already last season. The problem with Graves is that he was yet another offensive D 5 on 5 when you already had Makar, Girard, and even Toews and Byram in some way

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014

What we’re saying is the Avs would’ve been top 3 in the league with or without Graves there. Roster is too good.

Graves is a fine player bro. But in the same way that Grubauer isn’t the third best goalie in the league. Graves isn’t exactly a real top 4 dman. Conversely his shot selection is bottom 10 in the league. He can’t get pucks through and it cost us an overtime game and ultimately the series.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

Before the trade, the Avs' D depth chart was as follows:

Makar
Toews
Girard
Johnson
Byram
Graves
MacDonald
Timmins

He would have been a permanent fixture on the 3rd pair if Johnson and Byram are healthy

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Single greatest trade in Avalanche history! St. Patrick is now a close 2nd!!!

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Not NJ. The damn expansion draft has several teams over the barrel. The Avs just got something for a guy they may have lost for nothing.

now they’ll probably lose Donskoi to Seattle. Which is a good thing for the Avs as it frees up $4mm and two years of term left.

Donskoi is solid, but a poor defensive player with a East west game on a north south team. He’s very replaceable. Combined, the Avs will get +$7mm in cap space and both guys had two years left of term.

Without retention or taking back bad contracts in the flat cap world? Sakic won’t cry over this deal or the ED now.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Before the trade, the Avs' D depth chart was as follows:

Makar
Toews
Girard
Johnson
Byram
Graves
MacDonald
Timmins

He would have been a permanent fixture on the 3rd pair if Johnson and Byram are healthy
MacDonald isn’t ahead of Timmins. It’s not even close.

you probably have Johnson too high as well. Johnson is an expensive 3rd pair at this stage of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad