Proposal: NJD/CAL

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I thought that was a solid offer but the Devils are 7 points out of a wild card spot. Shouldn't they be selling?

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I thought that was a solid offer but the Devils are 7 points out of a wild card spot. Shouldn't they be selling?
Devils are not 7 points out of a playoff spot.

They trail Philly by 5 points while having 3 games in hand for 3rd in the Metro Division, which is their more likely path to the playoffs versus a wild card spot.

Flyers have lost their last 5 straight games in regulation along with their starting goalie, so they can most certainly be caught. Issue is that NJ is battling with Pittsburgh, Islanders and Caps for that final spot, which is why The Athletic has them currently having a 38% chance of making the playoffs.

As for the actual deal, that is a whole hell of a lot to give up for a rental when the playoffs themselves are far from a sure thing and this is still a relatively young team who's window is just opening versus being close to closing. Easy pass.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
They are 7th in ROW in the East, and that's with games in hand on all but two of the teams they're chasing. Hughes should be back shortly after the All-Star break. I don't expect them to buy but they aren't going to sell either. Maybe they can flip Toffoli for a 2nd, but other than that they are going to let it ride the rest of the year with the intent of making snagging a wild card spot or stealing #3 in the Metro outright (Philly will drop like a brick without Hart).

If they miss the playoffs, they'll fire Ruff and try to make a big move for a goalie over the summer and then run it back next year with largely the same roster. They have been decimated by injuries to key players like Hughes, Hamilton, Palat, Sigenthaler, etc.

Reactions: Homesick

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Seems like teams are overpaying in trades so far this year. I’m a little nervous about what Fitz will be giving up if he goes got a vet goalie or defender.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seems like teams are overpaying in trades so far this year. I’m a little nervous about what Fitz will be giving up if he goes got a vet goalie or defender.
Just make sure you get the right player. Monahan deal is so bad because it wasn't the right player. "Our PK sucks and we need a 2nd line center." Let's go get Sean Monahan... So dumb.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If Monahan got a 1st and 3rd this doesn’t seem close.
Monahan got a 1st, the conditional 3rd is if WPG wins the cup. Also he went cause of the dearth of centers out there. Hanifin as an LD is gonna be less coveted I think.

A 1st, 2nd, useful young roster player (Bahl) and B/C Prospect (Filmon) seems reasonable to me. Even a 1st and 2nd alone for an unextended Hanifin is probably reasonable. Not far off from what Chychrun and Ekholm got last deadline and they had term.

Reactions: HBK27

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
They are 7th in ROW in the East, and that's with games in hand on all but two of the teams they're chasing. Hughes should be back shortly after the All-Star break. I don't expect them to buy but they aren't going to sell either. Maybe they can flip Toffoli for a 2nd, but other than that they are going to let it ride the rest of the year with the intent of making snagging a wild card spot or stealing #3 in the Metro outright (Philly will drop like a brick without Hart).

If they miss the playoffs, they'll fire Ruff and try to make a big move for a goalie over the summer and then run it back next year with largely the same roster. They have been decimated by injuries to key players like Hughes, Hamilton, Palat, Sigenthaler, etc.
If they fall out they will move TT for more than a 2nd

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Monahan got a 1st, the conditional 3rd is if WPG wins the cup. Also he went cause of the dearth of centers out there. Hanifin as an LD is gonna be less coveted I think.

A 1st, 2nd, useful young roster player (Bahl) and B/C Prospect (Filmon) seems reasonable to me. Even a 1st and 2nd alone for an unextended Hanifin is probably reasonable. Not far off from what Chychrun and Ekholm got last deadline and they had term.
Hanifin is a lot better than Chychrun. Similar to Ekholm, but can play more minutes. It would be a bizarro world if Monahan brought the same return as Hanifin. I think that deal was terrible for the Jets. He's not what they need and 1 low 2nd or high 3rd should have been the price if he was what they needed.

I think if the Devils part with those assets, they have very little left to trade for a goalie. And they also lose all cap flexibility if they sign him to the 7+ million dollar deal he’s expected to sign. I don’t like it.
I do think he'll get 7-8M on the open market. It's really too bad that Meier hasn't worked out for you guys. Those assets and cap space would be so good to fill actual needs.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think Conroy would be more interested in targeting a high profile bluechip prospect with Hanifin rather than a 1st and 2nd. Value is probably fairly close but I don't see the need for the Devils to scramble to save their season.

They're a young team who are going to have a lot more shots at it. Sometimes it just isn't your year and with how many injuries, goaltending holes, and roster turmoil they've been through this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad