Proposal: NJD/CAL

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
:devils
Noah Hanifin

:flames
-2024 First Round Pick Top 5 protected (2025 if Devils were to make 2024 ECF, per conditions of Sharks trade for Timor Meier)
-2025 2nd Round Pick
-Kevin Bahl
-Josh Filmon

From the Devils standpoint, I don’t think it’s realistic to think a permanent fix at goal will come this season, best to attempt to get stronger on Defense.

Pretty solid haul for Calgary for what appears to be a rebuild.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
Not bad. Calgary may want a better prospect, but all in all, a decent haul for for the Flames. No cap dumps or retention either. You'd have to be certain Hanafin is in the Devils long term plans, and I don't see how they can easily extend him without getting rid of someone. Fitz has maybe one more big acquisition he can make, so choose wisely.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Not bad. Calgary may want a better prospect, but all in all, a decent haul for for the Flames. No cap dumps or retention either. You'd have to be certain Hanafin is in the Devils long term plans, and I don't see how they can easily extend him without getting rid of someone. Fitz has maybe one more big acquisition he can make, so choose wisely.
With the Cap going up relatively significantly over the next three years, I think this can be doable from a cap perspective to have Hanifin in Jersey long term.

Reactions: Bone Density

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's a fair offer. I like Filmon. I think there is runway for improvement there. He's got a long way to go, but he could be a 3rd liner one day. I'd still prefer a package from Dallas though. Bourque and a 1st or Bichsel and a 1st. I'd rather a higher end prospect than a collection of assets.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
FRIEDMAN_ELLIOTTE-115x115.png
I do wonder, and hear me out here, what would it take in addition to pry Markstrom out of The Saddledome, and into this deal?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
FRIEDMAN_ELLIOTTE-115x115.png
I do wonder, and hear me out here, what would it take in addition to pry Markstrom out of The Saddledome, and into this deal?
Depends on the retention or cap dump coming back. If you're taking the full cap hit without dumping on us a 2nd and 3rd would do it.

Reactions: Bone Density

Ledge And Dairy

It's a fair offer. I like Filmon. I think there is runway for improvement there. He's got a long way to go, but he could be a 3rd liner one day. I'd still prefer a package from Dallas though. Bourque and a 1st or Bichsel and a 1st. I'd rather a higher end prospect than a collection of assets.
I think with yesterday's trade as well as the reports that adding Tanev would have cost an additional FRP we are pretty clearly in a sellers market. And defense are still very high on a lot of teams priority lists. I don't put much stock in Bahl but Fillmon is mildly interesting. I just don't think it's close to enough to bite.

I agree that the Dallas prospects are far more ideal. I doubt Bourque is made available though

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think with yesterday's trade as well as the reports that adding Tanev would have cost an additional FRP we are pretty clearly in a sellers market. And defense are still very high on a lot of teams priority lists. I don't put much stock in Bahl but Fillmon is mildly interesting. I just don't think it's close to enough to bite.

I agree that the Dallas prospects are far more ideal. I doubt Bourque is made available though
Bahl is interesting. I'd like to watch him for a bit. I watched some clips after the proposal. He seems to skate well at top speed, but zero quickness. He's physical somewhat but not nasty. I thought he was older than 23. But he isn't.

Yeah, if I'm Dallas Stankoven and Bourque are the two guys I'm not moving. I would move Bichsel though.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
Bahl has his ups and downs, like any young defender, but he's not a good fit for the system we run. Definitely lacking in quickness, but he's a big boy, and can get pretty mean and in your face, when he wants to. I think he's tried to play a calmer game at the request of the coaching staff, but make no mistake, he will make his presence felt with a big hit here and there. He's also probably playing too many minutes in NJ and becomes overexposed against quicker opposition. He's fine as a third pair and still has some upside.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
As a Devil fan I'd pass on this, not about value but it's just too many assets heading out just to fill 1 hole, when there are many other holes to plug.

Plus if the do go hard after a goalie, they'll need all the cap space they can manage and a guy like Bahl, he's good enough and he's highly unlikely to break the bank with any contract.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
As Devils' fan, I'd rather draft a prospect using this pick then try to take another shortcut by adding a big contract (after Palat, Hamilton, Meier).

Reactions: Puckclektr

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
As a Devil fan I'd pass on this, not about value but it's just too many assets heading out just to fill 1 hole, when there are many other holes to plug.

Plus if the do go hard after a goalie, they'll need all the cap space they can manage and a guy like Bahl, he's good enough and he's highly unlikely to break the bank with any contract.
What is a first round or second round pick going to do for the Devils in the next three years? Is Kevin Bahl going to be on the team in two years? Filmon is probably 2-3 years out. Hanifin brings a major impact in the next 2-3 years and beyond. Cap is going up 3-4 million each of the next three seasons. Its do able.

For the record:

You’re not getting a goalie worth a damn for anything less than that.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
How so? You didn't say Hanifin would have to agree to an extension as part of the deal?

Hanifin extended raises cap issues with Nemec/L.Hughes needing extensions in 2-3 years.
Devils have 19 million in cap space following this season. If Toffoli was getting an extension, it probably would have happened already. Vanacek is done next year, Haula’s contract is done in 2 seasons, Palat in 3 seasons. The cap is increasing 3-4 million over the next 3 seasons. I’m not worried about the cap, I’m worried about winning a cup in the next 2-3.

Hanifin is the type of defensemen built for the playoffs.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Devils have 19 million in cap space following this season. If Toffoli was getting an extension, it probably would have happened already. Vanacek is done next year, Haula’s contract is done in 2 seasons, Palat in 3 seasons. The cap is increasing 3-4 million over the next 3 seasons. I’m not worried about the cap, I’m worried about winning a cup in the next 2-3.

Hanifin is the type of defensemen built for the playoffs.
I think it's safe to assume Hanifin would need at least what Severson got to sign an extension in NJ. I don't want to get into the budget 2-3 years from now, but it would require dumping Hamilton I think (maybe a good move) and likely some other shenanigans. Luke Hughes and Nemec will command top dollar off their ELC baring disaster.

It's doable but that's a lot of draft capital (that could be used to fix goaltending this offseason) for a guy that creates a cap headache and isn't really what the team needs.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
:devils
Noah Hanifin

:flames
-2024 First Round Pick Top 5 protected (2025 if Devils were to make 2024 ECF, per conditions of Sharks trade for Timor Meier)
-2025 2nd Round Pick
-Kevin Bahl
-Josh Filmon

From the Devils standpoint, I don’t think it’s realistic to think a permanent fix at goal will come this season, best to attempt to get stronger on Defense.

Pretty solid haul for Calgary for what appears to be a rebuild.
Way too much for a rental; also, teams cant put multiple conditions via different trades on a singular pick

Thats almost as much as NJ paid for (essentially) eight years of Timo Meier; maybe if Hanifin was extended

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HBK27

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
What is a first round or second round pick going to do for the Devils in the next three years? Is Kevin Bahl going to be on the team in two years? Filmon is probably 2-3 years out. Hanifin brings a major impact in the next 2-3 years and beyond. Cap is going up 3-4 million each of the next three seasons. Its do able.

For the record:

You’re not getting a goalie worth a damn for anything less than that.
Trading these assets to get a goalie is a better idea that sending all these assets to get a rental defenseman as there is no mention of re-signing Hanifin in the OP just hurts the Devils ability to get a goalie, as they've traded this much to get Hanifin.

Although since you're now saying stuff about Hanfin helping for years to come, I guess you're assuming an extension is in place. If he's coming with an extension that changes everything, you might want to throw that in the OP somewhere.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Devils are probably better off trading for Ryan Graves types that are one 1-2 year deals while Nemec and LHughes mature into top defensemen. They will be very expensive very soon.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad