Value of: NJD 2024 1st + Bahl/Siegenthaler for Top 4 LHD

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not for the full package above, but I imagine Olli Maatta might be available. Or maybe Jake Walman.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
That was my thought process with Gavrikov as a target, if he'd waive. LAK frees up that money in a cap crunch and spends it on roy who's the better player right now.
NJD gets a good dmen without giving up much and doesn't get locked into a long term commitment at a high dollar figure
As i said before he would not be move as he is needed on the left side and we have 3 on the right side without Roy. Also don’t understand why you think he would come cheap if he was moved.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Buffalo has too many LHD who are all young: Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Byram, Johnson.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chychrun for 2025 1st - top 10 protect + 2025 Winnipeg 2nd.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Will never happen but that’s one name that would make sense in theory for NJ. Although Pelech seems somewhat injury prone and sounds like he may have declined the past couple seasons, so prob too risky anyways for Nj.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Weegar and Markstrom for the 1st + Siegenthaler + Casey
No thanks. Casey is a big piece for the future of this team. And that's alot of salary coming in. Weegar has like 7 years left on his deal with a
NMC. The dude is signed till 37. I'd rather hold on to Siegenthaler with a contract locking him up through his prime years. He very well will bounce back and return to form.

Weegar would be a good add though for this team. He had a good year and potted 20 goals in the process.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'll save you the 1st and Siegenthaler. Just trade a 3rd for Graves and call it a day.

He works with Marino. Has not worked at all with Letang or Karlsson.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
No thanks. Casey is a big piece for the future of this team. And that's alot of salary coming in. Weegar has like 7 years left on his deal with a
NMC. The dude is signed till 37. I'd rather hold on to Siegenthaler with a contract locking him up through his prime years. He very well will bounce back and return to form.

Weegar would be a good add though for this team. He had a good year and potted 20 goals in the process.
Yeah, I would be interested in Weegar, but not at that price.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Devils need a veteran, training wheels off, defender.

Not another baby. We're past that....

First this year will go for a goalie.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thread title says it all. Who is the best top 4 LHD (that can actually maybe play some defense) that the Devils can get for this package?

Please keep in mind that don't want or need 30+ year olds and we don't want or need purely offensive guys.
Maybe what the Devils need are a couple guys in the early 30’s on the back end? Don’t need to trade for these guys with. Sign as UFAs.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Maybe what the Devils need are a couple guys in the early 30’s on the back end? Don’t need to trade for these guys with. Sign as UFAs.

the problem is the guys in FA get severely overpaid. While NJ does have some cap space, they have to be careful with what they are giving out with extensions for Luke and Nemec on the horizon.

For example, I'd love a guy like Skjei, but I can't imagine the contract he is gonna get.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
the problem is the guys in FA get severely overpaid. While NJ does have some cap space, they have to be careful with what they are giving out with extensions for Luke and Nemec on the horizon.

For example, I'd love a guy like Skjei, but I can't imagine the contract he is gonna get.
Yup. But getting a guy like McDonough in Nashville or Vole in Vancouver can very much stabilize a D.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I thought Siegs was the Devils 2LD?
He had a very down year without hamilton and battling injuries.

NJD has holes on D that COULD easily just fix themselves if Hamilton comes back right, Siegs and Marino bounce back, and Luke and Nemec develop,
In the worse case scenario (where siegs can't be a 2LD and we need another guy), another LD significantly takes the load off Luke.
In the best case Scenario, another LD means we have a Dcore that goes 6 deep with studs and can dominate night in and night out

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Those weegar goals are the most due for regression thing I've ever seen. Shooting%s for dmen are already pretty random, but a 4.6% career shooter jumping to 9.6% at age 30.

Moneypuck isn't loading for me right now but last I checked he was like 10 goals above expectation and shooting talent.

I'll save you the 1st and Siegenthaler. Just trade a 3rd for Graves and call it a day.

If NJD wanted graves at 4.5 million x 6 years they'd have signed graves at 4.5 million x 6 years

Graves has since lowered his stock from his UFA market value. NJD isn't giving positive value for him. With retention or as a cap dump tho, maybe

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If NJD wanted graves at 4.5 million x 6 years they'd have signed graves at 4.5 million x 6 years

Graves has since lowered his stock from his UFA market value. NJD isn't giving positive value for him. With retention or as a cap dump tho, maybe
NJD also thought they could replace Graves at the time, but they couldn't. They struggled as much as Graves did when they split.

Pens wouldn't need an asset to part with him though. Just hasn't been a good fit.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
NJD also thought they could replace Graves at the time, but they couldn't. They struggled as much as Graves did when they split.

Pens wouldn't need an asset to part with him though. Just hasn't been a good fit.
NJD decided that graves at 4.5 million x 6 wasn't worth keeping. His stock has since dropped. NJD will not be paying assets for him.

At 4 mill or lower with retention, or as a cap dump, he may be of interest.

Graves almost certainly took the biggest contract offer out there. Maybe there were a team or two with higher offers that he didn't want to play for, but I'd expect those teams to be on his NTC. He's since dropped his stock. I don't see him as better than what we could get with 4.5 mill x 5 on the UFA market

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I mean, they kind of did replace Graves with Luke Hughes, who is already the much better player. The problem for NJ is that Siegenthaler was literal ass this year and Bahl also played way more than he should have/was ready for.

Reactions: ScottyK

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

That's alright, you can keep Graves. I'm pretty sure they were comfortable with letting him go

Reactions: dgibb10

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Weegar and Markstrom for the 1st + Siegenthaler + Casey
lol

I mean, they kind of did replace Graves with Luke Hughes, who is already the much better player. The problem for NJ is that Siegenthaler was literal ass this year and Bahl also played way more than he should have/was ready for.
Marino regressed away from Graves as well but not nearly as much as Seigs fell off a cliff.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
NJD decided that graves at 4.5 million x 6 wasn't worth keeping. His stock has since dropped. NJD will not be paying assets for him.

At 4 mill or lower with retention, or as a cap dump, he may be of interest.

Graves almost certainly took the biggest contract offer out there. Maybe there were a team or two with higher offers that he didn't want to play for, but I'd expect those teams to be on his NTC. He's since dropped his stock. I don't see him as better than what we could get with 4.5 mill x 5 on the UFA market
Teams are always welcome to try. Usually a few suitors who end up without a dance partner.

Whatever Graves' shortcomings, he's huge, can skate and move the puck, and worked well with a defense first partner like Marino. Moving him for no assets could be feasible, but the Pens can afford to see if he has a bounceback rather than move him at a loss. He'd hardly be the first UFA defensemen to struggle in his first year with the Pens then find his footing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad