Proposal: NJD #2 for Bert

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Bert should not be traded for futures! We trade him for futures, the rebuild gets set back, not sped up. Look at the majority of the top picks in recent years, almost all of them take 2-4 years to get good, let alone being as good as Bert already is. Of course we could get lucky and that 2 is awesome right away, but I think it is a bad plan for where we are in the rebuild.

Also, no team is giving up 2 for only Bert, as they are hoping to get that draft luck in getting someone better, and that is more value than Bert has.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I don’t think NJ goes for it but it would give us an opportunity to take Cooley (or Wright if Montreal goes with Slaf). I only do it if we’re going after a true Center.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Bert should not be traded for futures! We trade him for futures, the rebuild gets set back, not sped up. Look at the majority of the top picks in recent years, almost all of them take 2-4 years to get good, let alone being as good as Bert already is. Of course we could get lucky and that 2 is awesome right away, but I think it is a bad plan for where we are in the rebuild.

Also, no team is giving up 2 for only Bert, as they are hoping to get that draft luck in getting someone better, and that is more value than Bert has.

Slafkovsky looks like he could play in the NHL tomorrow, imo. You probably have some growing pains because he's younger and still developing, but he played in Liiga last year against men, he scored 7 goals in 7 games at the Olympics, he was over a point per game in the World Championships. His track record internationally against men is actually quite impressive.

It may set the rebuild back a year, but it extends your competitive window by multiple years and you'd think that you're getting a guy who eventually would be an upgrade on Bertuzzi after a couple of years.

To simplify, yes I do it. New Jersey doesn't do it.

You're probably tying #8 overall to Bertuzzi to even get New Jersey to entertain the offer. And even then, probably not quite enough to tip the scales.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think the more realistic scenario, is there a guy you like so much at #2 that you’d put together a package around #8 and Bertuzzi to move up and snag him?

For me the answer is no, but if for example Yzerman felt strongly that Logan Cooley fills a big hole in our center problem then I wouldn’t lose sleep.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Where they are in the rebuild is they are still in the middle of it. Bert has a bad back, a me first attitude, and is aging. If they can get a top guy in return for him I say take it and run.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Bertuzzi for number 2 is worth considering. We need the top 3 talent that the league rules prevented us from getting. Bertuzzi would be an important vet during our window years but I like the longer term of a top 3. Let's be real this team is still several years away from being legit, this would be prime time to land a second overall talent.

If its Bert and #8 forget it, hard pass.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
My thinking is slaf is close to NHL ready. He's a left wing with size that can be more cost controlled on an ELC fits our age group of youngsters and I feel like could bring the element of Bert.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I'll do the packing if you are willing to pick him up.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I think the more realistic scenario, is there a guy you like so much at #2 that you’d put together a package around #8 and Bertuzzi to move up and snag him?

For me the answer is no, but if for example Yzerman felt strongly that Logan Cooley fills a big hole in our center problem then I wouldn’t lose sleep.

I think a trade around #8 and Bert would definitely be realistic. Bert is exactly the type of player they could obviously use.

The only way I would be willing to move 8 + Bert is for a C. Cooley hasn't been on my watch list so I haven't targeted him enough to be fully comfortable making my judgement. But from what I have seen I do believe he will be an undersized guy that could make it in the NHL as a center. There is certainly a lot to like about him.

If Yzerman deemed Cooley as a guy he is confident in taking 2C duty. I would be behind that move. The only hesitance I would have is about Guathier and if he ended up available at 8. I do like Kasper, and would be happy to take him at 8 but certainly have my concerns with his upside as well.

I do really like Bertuzzi and if Detroit was further along in this rebuild, he would be a player you definitely don't let go. But realistically, this team is a few years from any real cup runs. Even if we start making the playoffs very soon, there is still going to be some growth needed before we are a real threat. Bertuzzi just doesn't align with that window very well. I say that and I have a lot of respect for what Bert brings and he's one of my favorite players.

Reactions: Shultzyfeelinirie25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad