Proposal: NJ/STL trade

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Just spit balling something here if Army decides to punt on making the playoffs this season, and wants to make a legit hockey trade.

To New Jersey:
Pavel Buchnevich
Jordan Binnington

To St. Louis:
Timo Meier
Vitek Vanecek
D prospect?
2024 1st
2025 2nd

Why STL does it:
Timo hasn’t been a fit in New Jersey, and we know Armstrong has wanted to acquire him multiple times, so we’d be buying low on him. He just turned 27, so he fits our timeline more than Buch, who will be 30 when his contract needs extended. Vanecek, while not great, has only one more year on his contract after this season. He’d be in a tandem with Hofer until Zherenko is NHL ready.

Why NJ does it:
They need goaltending help badly, and balance out some of the term on Meier’s deal with the long-ish term on Binnington’s contract. Meier clearly hasn’t been a fit with NJ’s play style, whereas he seems to be a much better fit for the Blues.

In your opinion, who says no?

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Doesn't make a lot of sense for NJ to dump Meier already, He hasn't looked comfortable in NJ but Ruff is hellbent on playing him on the left side and changes his line mates far too frequently.
If Ruff can't figure out how to use Meier effectively, it'll be him that goes not Timo.

Value wise, I could stomach this trade and see why it makes sense. assuming that D prospect isn't Casey.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Timo is a year younger than Buch and has been a .5 PPG player this year making almost 9 million a year. Who cares if he is signed longer? Vitek has also been terrible.

Not sure why the Blues would downgrade both positions and give up picks and prospects for that honor.

Reactions: blueswede22

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Timo is a year younger than Buch and has been a .5 PPG player this year making almost 9 million a year. Who cares if he is signed longer? Vitek has also been terrible.

Not sure why the Blues would downgrade both positions and give up picks and prospects for that honor.

They wouldn’t. If Buch is traded the return will look a lot different. Binnington is not being traded

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Doesn’t make sense for NJ unless they really want binnington

Buchnevich and Timo seem like a lateral swap

Ruff would get fired before a trade like this happens

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Easy yes from this Devils' fan as it frees us from Meier's contract and allows to swap Vanecek for Binnington (however I believe the latter would be sub-.900 when playing behind NJ defence).

There's no way STL accepts this though.

Last edited:

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
Hardin f in pass
I'd rather lose and not make the playoffs than let that dope play goal for us
don't worry. i doubt binnington wants to play for "you" anyway. plus, the devils seem pretty content with goalie mediocrity ever since brodeur left...who did he play for after leaving new jersey? oh, that's right.

Reactions: Robtom18

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Just spit balling something here if Army decides to punt on making the playoffs this season, and wants to make a legit hockey trade.

To New Jersey:
Pavel Buchnevich
Jordan Binnington

To St. Louis:
Timo Meier
Vitek Vanecek
D prospect?
2024 1st
2025 2nd

Why STL does it:
Timo hasn’t been a fit in New Jersey, and we know Armstrong has wanted to acquire him multiple times, so we’d be buying low on him. He just turned 27, so he fits our timeline more than Buch, who will be 30 when his contract needs extended. Vanecek, while not great, has only one more year on his contract after this season. He’d be in a tandem with Hofer until Zherenko is NHL ready.

Why NJ does it:
They need goaltending help badly, and balance out some of the term on Meier’s deal with the long-ish term on Binnington’s contract. Meier clearly hasn’t been a fit with NJ’s play style, whereas he seems to be a much better fit for the Blues.

In your opinion, who says no?
Im on the no side of this.

Doesn’t make sense for NJ unless they really want binnington

Buchnevich and Timo seem like a lateral swap

Ruff would get fired before a trade like this happens
Timo and buch are not an even swap. Buch is the better

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
don't worry. i doubt binnington wants to play for "you" anyway. plus, the devils seem pretty content with goalie mediocrity ever since brodeur left...who did he play for after leaving new jersey? oh, that's right.
Perfect, keep your trash.
Yeah St Louis Legend Marty Brodeur!

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I mean...Schneider was one of the best goalies in the league his first 3 seasons in NJ, posting a 2.14 GAA & .924 SV% over that stretch behind a rather awful team. The guy single handedly set our rebuild back years with his play. If you're going to try to insult us, at least get your facts straight.

Also, how is a Blues fan lecturing Devils fans on "goalie mediocrity" anyway? Are you not aware of the Blues' goaltending history?

Brodeur had more wins with the Devils than the top 5 winningest Blues goaltenders all-time...and the Blues had a 15 year head start on the Devils. Your all-time wins leaders are Mike Liut and Jake Allen. If that doesn't scream "mediocre", I'm not sure what does. CuJo was very good, but isn't a HOF'er, never won a Cup and played 70% of his games elsewhere. Fuhr is a HOF'er based on what he did in Edmonton, but couldn't get the job done in St. Louis. Binnington had a phenominal rookie season and playoff run, but has been decidedly "mid" ever since. I guess you can claim a 40-year old Plante and Brodeur's last few games, so at least you've got that going for you.

1708727535721.png

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Rush to conclusions re Timo is just silly
Vanacek hasnt much value

I think both would decline

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Devils fans should be all over this just to get rid of Meier, who is now playing on the Devils third line and looks lost out there. This contract is already brutal. And yeah, I know some people are going to claim it's because of Lindy and that he's coming off an injury... I want the copium that y'all are huffing. You guys got the good shit.

St. Louis will rightfully want no part in this, lol.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Rush to conclusions re Timo is just silly
Vanacek hasnt much value

I think both would decline
Not that silly, the best case scenario is he's hurt. So he's a 27 year old power forward signed for 7 more years playing with some chronic injury with an unclear recovery time frame and it's unclear he will ever regain his form.

That's the best case scenario, the downside risk is substantial.

Reactions: hidek91

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I mean...Schneider was one of the best goalies in the league his first 3 seasons in NJ, posting a 2.14 GAA & .924 SV% over that stretch behind a rather awful team. The guy single handedly set our rebuild back years with his play. If you're going to try to insult us, at least get your facts straight.

Also, how is a Blues fan lecturing Devils fans on "goalie mediocrity" anyway? Are you not aware of the Blues' goaltending history?

Brodeur had more wins with the Devils than the top 5 winningest Blues goaltenders all-time...and the Blues had a 15 year head start on the Devils. Your all-time wins leaders are Mike Liut and Jake Allen. If that doesn't scream "mediocre", I'm not sure what does. CuJo was very good, but isn't a HOF'er, never won a Cup and played 70% of his games elsewhere. Fuhr is a HOF'er based on what he did in Edmonton, but couldn't get the job done in St. Louis. Binnington had a phenominal rookie season and playoff run, but has been decidedly "mid" ever since. I guess you can claim a 40-year old Plante and Brodeur's last few games, so at least you've got that going for you.

View attachment 824372
they had halak

ryder, halak and a 2nd beats anything on hfb. even brodeur's carrer.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Smitty426

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Buchnevich is worth at least a 1st & a 2nd, especially if STL retains. So this essentially borders down to Binnington (6m cap dump) for Meier (9m cap dump) and Vanecek (3.4m cap dump, playing substantially worse than Binnington) and possibly a D prospect.

I really don't see any reason for STL to make this trade

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Devils fans should be all over this just to get rid of Meier, who is now playing on the Devils third line and looks lost out there. This contract is already brutal. And yeah, I know some people are going to claim it's because of Lindy and that he's coming off an injury... I want the copium that y'all are huffing. You guys got the good shit.

St. Louis will rightfully want no part in this, lol.
Some Devils' fans (including me) agree with you. What makes Meier's situation insanely risky is that his hockey IQ is low for a star forward. I wasn't aware of that before he was traded to NJ.

Reactions: Aoko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad