Friedman: NJ still interested in trading their pick (2nd OA) They are creating a list of players whom they would move it for.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Paraphrasing

-'The information we have is that the Devils are still interested and will consider moving the 2nd overall pick. In the next couple of weeks they will be finalizing a list of players that they would be willing to move the 2nd OA pick for. - Friedman

Very interesting information from Friedman during the 32 thoughts at intermission.

It doesnt sound like the Devils have changed their stance as in they are still willing to move their pick despite jumping up a few spots. It sounds like the Devils want to start competing now and may not be sold on this years draft which is considered "weak " by the scouting community.

Which players, or i guess I should say, which speculated available players, do you think the Devils would move the 2nd OA pick for.
I'm not too connected with Devil's needs but from my understanding they need a point producing winger and or Right shot Dmen?
I've also had some convos with Devil fans who think they need a specific type of power forward as their core is very skilled but very finesse and smaller in stature ( Hughes Hischier, Bratt, Holtz, Mercer)

It seems like the Devils are done with rebuilding and want the core to not grow in a losing culture. We're entering year 6 of Nico Hischier and Jesper Bratt and year 4 of J Hughes. Combined, all three have a total of 6 playoff games.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
It has to be for a young elite player, trading that pick with one of Slafkovsky, Jiricek or Nemec at your disposal and bombing that trade is not something they can afford.

I say they should just play it safe and pick one of the 3 :nod:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I actually could see something like 2nd overall+Boqvist for MIN 1st+Fiala maybe someone a little worse than Boqvist but basically 2nd+forward for MIN 1st+Fiala

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That list would be a short one if it's trading completely out of round 1, and no it wouldn't have Fiala or JT Miller on it.

I think if they move it it'll be for a younger winger with team control for years, or trading down a few spots while picking up assets, not an expiring contract because no matter what the "experts" here say, there is zero guarantee players will re-sign

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
A scenario that makes sense is a cap-strapped team that has a very good young player about to come off an ELC and is due a big raise, that are looking to stay under the cap with a talented player on an ELC of their choice/position.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I actually could see something like 2nd overall+Boqvist for MIN 1st+Fiala maybe someone a little worse than Boqvist but basically 2nd+forward for MIN 1st+Fiala

Do they need another small winger tho?

like I said, they already have Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Holtz, Mercer who are all 6'0 and under.

I think they are looking for a power forward or Dman

Reactions: JUSTGIROUXIT

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Makes sense from NJ's point of view. After watching all the top 5 wingers that have been drafted in the last couple of years not be able to jump right into the NHL they could trade down to acquire more assets or get a long term 1st line winger.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Do they need another small winger tho?

like I said, they already have Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Holtz, Mercer who are all 6'0 and under.

I think they are looking for a power forward or Dman
I think they need more play driving players and that’s what Fiala is. I think having Hughes-Bratt on one line and Hischier-Fiala on the next would do wonders next season. I get your point but I also think Fiala is the best available player you could get with the 2nd overall and that includes Slaf.

Reactions: SpitfireG

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It has to be for a young elite player, trading that pick with one of Slafkovsky, Jiricek or Nemec at your disposal and bombing that trade is not something they can afford.

I say they should just play it safe and pick one of the 3 :nod:

Why exactly would a team trade a young elite player ? When was the last time that even happened for a draft pick? I'm sure there cant be more than a handful examples.

I think if 2nd overall is traded, it wont be for someone in an ELC. it will be for a 25-28 age range for the Devils. who knows though, they might be targetting a player specifically.

Gonna just leave this here... dont shoot the messenger

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think if Fiala is their target (as was suggested by Marek a few weeks back), I Would prefer to trade #2 to Columbus for #6 and #12 and then package 12 with another asset (player or prospect) to get Fiala

trading #2 in any deal for Fiala seems like overkill, and I really like Fiala. Need to assemble all the Swiss super buddies!

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
JT Miller extended ( 6 yrs - 8mil AAV per)
Jack Rathbone ( Canucks top prospect Dman, was amazing in his rookie year in AHL)
15th OA pick

for

2nd OA
NJD rnd 4

NJD would get 7 years out of Miller including his 29 yr old year at 5ish mil AAV if they really want to do some damage this year by having one of the best contracts in the league, at least for 1 year before the extension kicks in.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad