Proposal: NJ-Schneider for VAN-Eriksson

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It’s hard to see NJ playing hardball with Schneider other than perhaps buying him out. He’s respected and admired in the locker room and he handled his demotion with dignity. The team thought enough of him to have him billet Hughes. Maybe they buy him out but it’s possible NJ just tries him one more year as the backup goalie. Remember the players are actually people not just assets.

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Hypothetically the devils can save $7m in cash by doing this deal and could still sign Schneider after the Canucks buy him out (no way they keep a $6m backup).

The only cost for the devils would be the cap space (noting both cap hits are the same but in a scenario where an Erikkson buyout has a larger cap hit in the immediate future than a Schneider buyout).

So it comes down to whether or not the devils would want to save cash in a covid world?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hypothetically the devils can save $7m in cash by doing this deal and could still sign Schneider after the Canucks buy him out (no way they keep a $6m backup).

The only cost for the devils would be the cap space (noting both cap hits are the same but in a scenario where an Erikkson buyout has a larger cap hit in the immediate future than a Schneider buyout).

So it comes down to whether or not the devils would want to save cash in a covid world?

In the abstract maybe but it probably comes down to whether NJ can do anything better with its cap space. Can they get some young player or a decent draft pick to take a bad contract. The trade as proposed here is something you maybe do at the last possible second if nothing else works out. It’s a last resort not something you pursue if you are NJ. I’d expect something better to be available with the cap space.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
In the abstract maybe but it probably comes down to whether NJ can do anything better with its cap space. Can they get some young player or a decent draft pick to take a bad contract. The trade as proposed here is something you maybe do at the last possible second if nothing else works out. It’s a last resort not something you pursue if you are NJ. I’d expect something better to be available with the cap space.
I agree with this. The only thing that could change it is if the team decides it wants someone they can rely on as 1B with Blackwood and decides they are going to move on from Schnieds by free agency.

If internally that's the decision then its possible that the deal for Eriksson makes some sense.

They can get rid of 22/23 and 23/24 2million in cap allocation on the Schneider buy out and save 3 million in real dollars in the meantime. It's not great but could have some legs.

I won't hold my breath

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Im not opposed to taking Eriksson, but not to ditch schnieder. We dont have another goalie to back up Blackwood and would want to take on assets instead

It's actually a great year for UFA goalies, even if you just want mentor kind of goalies who can play a 1A/1B situation

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
Ya when I looked at this I view it was more like hypothetically NJ could buyout Schneider for $8m ($2m cap hit for 4 years) and then use that extra $4m cap space as leverage to gain an asset or if it’s a money thing then they take on Erikkson either play him for 2 years and $5m or buy him out at $3.67m (saves about $4.33m in cash compared to Schneider buyout).

Actual cash would be the incentive behind such a move for NJ but not sure if that’s an issue in a covid world for NJ and quite frankly even Vancouver in this scenario is taking on an additional $3m to do this move and buyout Schneider.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Why you say?

NJ gets 7 million in cash savings and a washed up depth player.
VCR gets 4 million in cap space when they acquire and buy out Schneider.

Why Not?

NJ - ?
VCR might be a tough sell to the owner to eat 3 million more on top of 36million. And the buy out savings is
20/21 = 3.67
21/22 = 1.67
22/23 = + 1.33
23/24 = + 1.33

So it's really just 1 season where it provides a lot of help and then 2 negative years but with Luongo cap recapture done it should be fitting Schneider ends up replacing him on the books.
No thanks......really we will pass....

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yea those old machines don’t hold any value..... does it come with any tapes?

Pretty sure it's actually the exact opposite. They're like collectibles, now that nobody makes them anymore. Lots of people with nostalgic old VCR collections they want to be able to watch once in a blue moon in full hipster retro low fidelity. And since they're not made anymore, and they break down over time...see lots of them listed for absurd prices online.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad