Proposal: NJ-Schneider for VAN-Eriksson

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why you say?

NJ gets 7 million in cash savings and a washed up depth player.
VCR gets 4 million in cap space when they acquire and buy out Schneider.

Why Not?

NJ - ?
VCR might be a tough sell to the owner to eat 3 million more on top of 36million. And the buy out savings is
20/21 = 3.67
21/22 = 1.67
22/23 = + 1.33
23/24 = + 1.33

So it's really just 1 season where it provides a lot of help and then 2 negative years but with Luongo cap recapture done it should be fitting Schneider ends up replacing him on the books.

Last edited:

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Im not opposed to taking Eriksson, but not to ditch schnieder. We dont have another goalie to back up Blackwood and would want to take on assets instead

Reactions: MakoSlade

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Im not opposed to taking Eriksson, but not to ditch schnieder. We dont have another goalie to back up Blackwood and would want to take on assets instead
Completely understand the stance. And it is a particularly good off season to try and leverage that cap space.

I guess it depends more on ownership than anything.

You could just re sign Scneider once the Canucks buy him out?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don't want anything to do with Loui Eriksson. He's a joke.
Truth of the matter is at $1.5-2.0 on a one year deal Loui is still a very strong defensive forward that can kill penalties and match up against other teams top forwards. At $6 x 6years, someone should be in prison.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
It's an idea that I have kicked around along with a couple of other devils fans. Actually make some sense. I believe Loui's buy out structure is first year heavy, whereas Cory's is level. Loui's real dollars are actually considerably less than Cory's the next two years I'm pretty sure, especially if you make this trade after Loui's bonus has been paid.

From a devils ownership standpoint, I think the trade makes plenty of sense. I feel like the devils would ask for something though just because they don't need to make this sort of deal.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ has little incentive to give away cap space for anything but a clear asset, not massaging the allocation of cap space. That doesn't offer NJ much to improve the team. The owners are worth billions and seemingly want to develop a winning team. They've sunk money into a coach and GM they canned when things went too far south. I don't think the owners are worried about saving a few million dollars. If a team wants to use NJ cap space, I think it's the standard ask based on the amount with cash free hits tending to be worth a second and actual cash hits tending to be worth a first. I don't see most teams really wanting to do that so my guess is that most teams just ice lesser teams next season and hope for the best. NJ and the other bad teams with cap space will add an extra player or two at a discount on the UFA market most likely and life will go on.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Eriksson and Schneider have the same cap hit for the same number of years. If our plan is to buy Schneider out, I'm in. If cash savings isn't enough incentive for New Jersey to take 4th line winger versus a back up/call up goalie, what would be incentive enough?

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Eriksson and Schneider have the same Capt hit for the same number of years. If our plan is to buy Schneider out, I'm in. If cash savings isn't enough incentive for New Jersey to take 4th line winger versus a back up/call up goalie, what would be incentive enough?

You don't want to open that pandora's box :laugh:

Personally, because I think that the financials make sense, I'm content with something pretty nominal.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
would Loui waive his no-trade to go to Jersey?

Depends on whether Vancouver is buying him out regardless. I mean, if Vancouver (or as we say around these parts, VCR) tells him they are going to buy him out anyway, then there's no reason for him not to, because the point of the devils acquiring him would be to also just buy him out more than likely (I suppose it's possible that they could bury him or actually keep him, but I'm not really sure why, because if that's the case you may as well keep Cory). It's really just about maneuvering the cap for each team. NJ buys him out and gets nearly all of it up front in the first two years where they don't really need the money and have tons of it. Meanwhile, Cory's buy out structure is flat, so Vancouver immediately gains 3m in cap room this year and next, but have to take in on the chin with higher cap hits the two years after that. There's also the added benefit for the Devils that his real dollars is lower in the last two years of his deal.

Given where each team is in it's build right now, financially, this would make more sense for each team.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Depends on whether Vancouver is buying him out regardless. I mean, if Vancouver (or as we say around these parts, VCR) tells him they are going to buy him out anyway, then there's no reason for him not to, because the point of the devils acquiring him would be to also just buy him out more than likely (I suppose it's possible that they could bury him or actually keep him, but I'm not really sure why, because if that's the case you may as well keep Cory). It's really just about maneuvering the cap for each team. NJ buys him out and gets nearly all of it up front in the first two years where they don't really need the money and have tons of it. Meanwhile, Cory's buy out structure is flat, so Vancouver immediately gains 3m in cap room this year and next, but have to take in on the chin with higher cap hits the two years after that. There's also the added benefit for the Devils that his real dollars is lower in the last two years of his deal.

Given where each team is in it's build right now, financially, this would make more sense for each team.

No cap room saved buying out Loui.
Can’t use the AHL threat (no escrow down there, so he gets even more money)
Only way to dump Loui is in a trade with serious sweetener, and he still needs to waive, so it has to be a team he wants to go to.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
No cap room saved buying out Loui.
Can’t use the AHL threat (no escrow down there, so he gets even more money)
Only way to dump Loui is in a trade with serious sweetener, and he still needs to waive, so it has to be a team he wants to go to.

There's no real savings, but there's no major detriment to buying him out either. The first year cap hit would save you 333K. It puts you underwater a nominal amount when you consider pulling someone up on an ELC to replace him, but even still, that may actually improve the team and be worthwhile. The threat of a buy out from Vancouver would have to be legit, otherwise yeah, there's a problem. And even still, he may not waive and force Vancouver's hand.

And it should be mentioned that theoretically, I guess, we could just keep him on the roster as a bottom line guy, which may appeal to him, knowing that if he gets bought out anywhere, his career is probably over in the NHL. We eat one more year on the contract and then buy him out. Its not ideal (would still be a 4m cap hit in 2021), but we'd basically be out from under it after that year as opposed to 2023 like we would be with Cory.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

There's plenty of solid veteran tandem options in the free agent market this season. Greiss, Khudobin, Lehner, Talbot, Elliott, and Markstrom are all legit options. There's a few older guys like Smith or Miller that the Devils could sign to a one year deal as well.

It's ridiculously hard to hide a bad goaltender. It's a lot easier to hide a bad forward. I'd rather spend 6 million for Eriksson, then worry if Schneider is going to lose us games or take up AHL playing time from a young goalie.

Reactions: Forge

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There's no real savings, but there's no major detriment to buying him out either. The first year cap hit would save you 333K. It puts you underwater a nominal amount when you consider pulling someone up on an ELC to replace him, but even still, that may actually improve the team and be worthwhile. The threat of a buy out from Vancouver would have to be legit, otherwise yeah, there's a problem. And even still, he may not waive and force Vancouver's hand.
I do agree with your concept, that we are going to see a lot of very interesting trades as teams try to keep the best roster they can, while coping with a flat cap.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
NJ has no need to get rid of Schneider. We are swimming in cap space and have some of the richest owners in the league. We are totally fine burying him in the AHL for two years or even buying him out.

If NJ takes on a cap dump, which I think would be a smart move, it's to acquire assets. Not to dump a contract they have no need to dump.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
NJ has no need to get rid of Schneider. We are swimming in cap space and have some of the richest owners in the league. We are totally fine burying him in the AHL for two years or even buying him out.

If NJ takes on a cap dump, which I think would be a smart move, it's to acquire assets. Not to dump a contract they have no need to dump.

And that's why a straight up trade doesn't work, even though there's some logic in making such a trade. There would have to be an asset coming back to Jersey. Not sure what it is.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And that's why a straight up trade doesn't work, even though there's some logic in making such a trade. There would have to be an asset coming back to Jersey. Not sure what it is.

The asset is the flexibility to go out and get a legitimate backup goalie. Eriksson would block nobody on the fourth line or as a spare forward.

If Devils have Schneider on the books, he will have the inside track to the backup job. Blackwood's due for an extension likely in the ballpark of ~3.5 million. We're not going to spend the additional ~3 million it'll take to get a quality tandem goalie we need for Blackwood to give him rest. That would be over 12 million committed to your goaltending. Plus if I'm that tandem goalie, am I going to join NJ when they are willing to bury a 6 million dollar goalie? How do they know they won't get buried as well?

Therefore, the only additional goalie the Devils will bring in is that "NHL/AHL tweener" goalie. You're looking at Kinkaid, Dell, Condon, Brossoit, Domingue, etc. None of those guys are improvements over Schneider and we're left with the same situation we were last season where Blackwood needs rest and the backup goalie is incapable of giving us a solid effort consistently.

Schneider needs to go. Teams would be foolish to bring him in for the exact reasons above and the only way Devils can move on from him is taking back a similar contract.

Reactions: sting101

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
The asset is the flexibility to go out and get a legitimate backup goalie. Eriksson would block nobody on the fourth line or as a spare forward.

I think this is more in line with how fans think than how the team will think, personally. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the team were perfectly content going into this season, knowing we are not going to be good, riding with Cory and Mac. We will see, I don't know. LIS earlier, I'm actually pretty okay with the swap just because I think the financials make sense. Would I want a marginal asset? Yep, mainly because we don't really need to make this type of move.

Blackwood's due for an extension likely in the ballpark of ~3.5 million.

I would be surprised if he breaks three, though that is mainly because I think he will only take a bridge deal for like 2 years. We will find out soon.

Plus if I'm that tandem goalie, am I going to join NJ when they are willing to bury a 6 million dollar goalie? How do they know they won't get buried as well?

That has already happened though

Schneider sent to AHL by Devils after clearing waivers

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You don't want to open that pandora's box :laugh:

Personally, because I think that the financials make sense, I'm content with something pretty nominal.

Nominal as in...a B prospect? Another roster player? A draft pick? A hearty meal for your GM when this corona virus stuff is done?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Nominal as in...a B prospect? Another roster player? A draft pick? A hearty meal for your GM when this corona virus stuff is done?

Draft pick / prospect. I think you guys are missing some mid round picks, right? So I'd guess its a prospect.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Is Schneider completely done?

I could see this working for Vancouver if they weren't keeping Markstrom and wanted to use Schneider as a backup.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Draft pick / prospect. I think you guys are missing some mid round picks, right? So I'd guess its a prospect.

We're potentially missing our first (you guys have it from Tampa, which we have for Miller) and our second (it and Madden for Toffoli). We're otherwise full up, Dave out 7th, but we have the Ducks 7th, so eh. A pick is workable, this draft is a write off for me without Brackett anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad