Proposal: NJ - Ott

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I know McLeod was a 12th OVR pick, but at this point I think he projects as a good bottom 6 center. I think the Sens could get a better prospect than him if they decided to move Brassard.

McLeod + Blackwood maybe.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Blackwood is quickly losing value as he's struggled in the AHL.

Would be a tough call to pull the trigger on McLeod for Brassard. Would rather the Devils continue to build for the next 2-3 years versus going all in now. Brassard is on pace for 24 goals this season, but has only eclipsed 20 once in his 8 other seasons in the league. I don't know too much about the type of game he plays - NJ is focused on speed and quick decisions which McLeod could fit nicely into (and eventually serve as a replacement for Zajac). Not sure if that's Brassard's game or not. Good proposal, but I think I pass from NJ's perspective.

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
McLeod doesn't help us make the playoffs this season.
While I think making the playoffs is of paramount importance - McLeod is a perfect fit for our system so Id like to see how he can grow with the team.

Brassard though would be very good for NJ and Id love to have him but not at the expense of prospects. Maybe picks.

I think the team can make the playoffs as they currently stand - their biggest problem is if the kids poopoo at the end of the season. 82 games is a lot for rookies

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Decline from the Devils. I like Brassard as a player but despite the Devils being in a playoff spot we're still re-building.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
still re-building? what does that even mean. The best experience for our young guys is to make the playoffs and I'm not convinced we'll make it with Zajac as our 2nd C.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
still re-building? what does that even mean. The best experience for our young guys is to make the playoffs and I'm not convinced we'll make it with Zajac as our 2nd C.

Doesn't mean you kill your future for it though.

There's a healthy balance in rebuilding and competing given where the Devils are at. Vatanen deal was a great example of that.

This deal tests that balance a bit.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
Doesn't mean you kill your future for it though.

There's a healthy balance in rebuilding and competing given where the Devils are at. Vatanen deal was a great example of that.

This deal tests that balance a bit.
kill our future? we should hope McLeod turns into Brassard

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Brassard is a good #2 centre but we are not competing for the cup this year at the expense of our best prospect. Someone above said that he projects as a good bottom 6 centre. Out to lunch. I think McLeod has all the tools to be a #1 centre capable of playing a complete game.
No way I give him up for Brassard. Not saying the value isn't there, but we are still a very young team with no need to give up futures and contend for a cup with such a lack of experience in the playoffs

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
Blackwood is quickly losing value as he's struggled in the AHL.

Would be a tough call to pull the trigger on McLeod for Brassard. Would rather the Devils continue to build for the next 2-3 years versus going all in now. Brassard is on pace for 24 goals this season, but has only eclipsed 20 once in his 8 other seasons in the league. I don't know too much about the type of game he plays - NJ is focused on speed and quick decisions which McLeod could fit nicely into (and eventually serve as a replacement for Zajac). Not sure if that's Brassard's game or not. Good proposal, but I think I pass from NJ's perspective.
Brodeur struggled before making The NHL. Goalies hardly lose that much value from a single AHL season. Especially one as big and athletic as Blackwood

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Brassard is 31. This team is not winning now. In 2-3 years for sure. At that time I would rather have a 22 year old McLeod who will be one of the fastest skaters inthe league going forward with the core than a 33-34 year old Brassard when we already have Zajac who is only a year older. Not comparing the two, but why have that much money invested in two aging centres when you have Hischier, McLeod and Zacha down the middle. if we want a veteran centre better to get him as a UFA if needed. Hoepfully we only need a fourth liner centre at that point with the kids taking the top three C positions.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Brodeur struggled before making The NHL. Goalies hardly lose that much value from a single AHL season. Especially one as big and athletic as Blackwood
I've said it before. I live 30 minutes from Barrie and watch the Generals on a regular basis as my inlaws live in Oshawa and it gets me out of the house. Appleby IMO was a better goalie than Blackwood. Stole way more games.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Brassard has one more year after this before he becomes a UFA and makes 6+. McLeod is going to be making under 1 million for the next three years and unless he has a marvelous start to his NHL career, far under 6 million after that.

In the cap world, McLeod is arguably the more valuable asset for NJ considering where we're at now. We may not be able to afford keeping Brassard + resigning Hall/Hischier/Bratt the year after.

I've said it before. I live 30 minutes from Barrie and watch the Generals on a regular basis as my inlaws live in Oshawa and it gets me out of the house. Appleby IMO was a better goalie than Blackwood. Stole way more games.

Blackwood was drafted on his athletic tools. His athleticism is absolutely insane. He was always a project considering he started playing goalie very late. Besides goalies are very fickle, the best goalies at 15 are rarely the best goalies at 18 and so on.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Devils desperately need help at 2C, since Zacha clearly isn't ready and Zajac is an offensive black hole.

I'd consider this.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I think this is a pretty decent deal for both sides. From Ottawa if take a lesser return if you included Blackwood. We need options in goal going forward and I have faith he'll turn it around yet.

Blackwood + Bastian + mid round pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad