Proposal: NJ/NSH at the draft

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Shades of the 2013 draft with this proposal done right this time timing wise by the Devils (assuming the Devils pick is 10-12 OA)

:devils
2024 First Round Pick (potentially 10OA)

:nashville
Jusse Saros

This makes sense for both teams in so many ways. Very, very comparable to the Cory Schnieder trade.

Devils get their goaltender, plain and simple. They give up a strong asset, but they aren’t giving up multiple assets and doesn’t make sense to draft a player two years away when potentially trying to win now. This is probably assuming that they talk to Saros and tack on a five year extension once traded.

For Nashville, they continue to build off this great season by stock piling young talent. They shed cap and get to start Askarov, while being able to put that extra $4-5 million to another need while Askarov is on his rookie deal.

Edit: Grammar

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Aww yeah It's time for Cory Schneider to be massively underrated again by a shitton of people.

So i'll get it out of the way now.

1st in SV%, 1st in GAA, 2nd in GSAx/60, 4th in overall GSAx in the 3 years prior to the trade.

Was absolutely HIM for 6 years
Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.18.04 AM.png

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think Nashville would want more.

Also, in your dreams if you think Saros is signing for 5 years. Try 8x8.5 at the very minimum.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Aww yeah It's time for Cory Schneider to be massively underrated again by a shitton of people.

1st in SV%, 1st in GAA, 2nd in GSAx/60, 4th in overall GSAx in the 3 years prior to the trade.

Was absolutely HIM for 6 yearsView attachment 854271
His #s were crazy, team in front of him sucked. Otherwise we were a lottery team for yrs! Sorry Cory we failed you!

I think Nashville would want more.

Also, in your dreams if you think Saros is signing for 5 years. Try 8x8.5 at the very minimum.
I'd move on then, they won't get a better offer. Juicy might want that, not sure he's getting that anywhere

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
10th OA doesn't solve any of Nashville's needs. If they were rebuilding then sure but they aren't.
Are you winning the cup next year with this roster? Probably not. Are you going to sign Saros to an extension after this year? No, when you have Askarov. You don’t necessarily have to use the pick either, you could package it for something else. If you think you can do better for Saros, that’s one argument, but to think that this trade isn’t something that can help you build a better roster, you’re wrong.

Ledge And Dairy

Askarov is not relevant to whether or not Saros is signed. He's not even 22 yet. Saros didn't get the starting job in Nashville until he was 26. Nashville is in need of a legitimate 1C and this trade does not offer that, the best center that will be available by the time that pick is up is Helenius. and he's not projected to be a 1C by ant stretch of the imagination.

As for helping build a better roster, no it doesn't. It will be 3-5 years before that draft pick makes any sort of legitimate NHL impact. Josi is 33, ROR is 33, and Forsberg is 29. Keeping Saros and signing him to a 5-6 year extension is vastly more valuable than the 10th OA pick for a team that is incapable of bottoming out any time soon

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
His #s were crazy, team in front of him sucked. Otherwise we were a lottery team for yrs! Sorry Cory we failed you!

I'd move on then, they won't get a better offer. Juicy might want that, not sure he's getting that anywhere

Even if you want to argue he’ll get less than Hellebuyck and Sorokin, Markstrom got 6 years/6m and Grubauer got 6 years/5.9m a few years ago under a frozen cap.

Sorry, a guy like Jarry gets 5 years, not Saros. He’ll get more.

Reactions: pouf pouf

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Cory Schneider comparison would make more sense if the trade was made 19-20 vs now. Saros is just a couple years ahead of where Schneider was at time of trade. In the lead up to the trade his 260 GP put him 23rd for goalies. Since 2020, saros has 231 games played which is easily 2nd in the nhl ( shortened seasons). Schneider just needed another season or two to be fully handed the keys and be treated like a real workhorse once in Jersey but Saros has been one for 3 seasons now.

Saros has an additional 100+ games of experience. Contract status is different as well.

As for the trade, i personally dont see any prospects in that area that id be willing to trade my starting goalie for without a backup plan so id have to pass or require more incentive.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Askarov is not relevant to whether or not Saros is signed. He's not even 22 yet. Saros didn't get the starting job in Nashville until he was 26. Nashville is in need of a legitimate 1C and this trade does not offer that, the best center that will be available by the time that pick is up is Helenius. and he's not projected to be a 1C by ant stretch of the imagination.

As for helping build a better roster, no it doesn't. It will be 3-5 years before that draft pick makes any sort of legitimate NHL impact. Josi is 33, ROR is 33, and Forsberg is 29. Keeping Saros and signing him to a 5-6 year extension is vastly more valuable than the 10th OA pick for a team that is incapable of bottoming out any time soon
i don't think any team will trade a legitimate 1c for a g with only one year of term. it would have to be an absolute value contract to bridge the gap of the positional value between c and g.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Cory Schneider comparison would make more sense if the trade was made 19-20 vs now. Saros is just a couple years ahead of where Schneider was at time of trade. In the lead up to the trade his 260 GP put him 23rd for goalies. Since 2020, saros has 231 games played which is easily 2nd in the nhl ( shortened seasons). Schneider just needed another season or two to be fully handed the keys and be treated like a real workhorse once in Jersey but Saros has been one for 3 seasons now.

Saros has an additional 100+ games of experience. Contract status is different as well.

As for the trade, i personally dont see any prospects in that area that id be willing to trade my starting goalie for without a backup plan so id have to pass or require more incentive.
in retrospective i would say saros might had more value back then than today. nashville might just cherished the peak of saros' career. hopefully for saros this year was just a small set back and not an early indication of his decline.

Reactions: dgibb10

Ledge And Dairy

i don't think any team will trade a legitimate 1c for a g with only one year of term. it would have to be an absolute value contract to bridge the gap of the positional value between c and g.
I never said any team would. I said what they need is a legitimate 1C. Trading Saros doesn't make them a better team now while their best players are in their primes and that pick won't be relevant until those players are past their primes. There is a reason Nashville was asking for Mercer originally, he makes an impact now

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
in retrospective i would say saros might had more value back then than today. nashville might just cherished the peak of saros' career. hopefully for saros this year was just a small set back and not an early indication of his decline.
Possibly. I think if we wanted peak value, beginning of last season wouldve been when to trade. Coming off two great seasons. Two full seasons left. Management just doesnt want to throw the team into a potential full tailspin. They've seen what faulty goltending can do to otherwise good teams... Nashville is currently a very flawed team in transition being covered by good goaltending

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Was absolutely HIM for 6 yearsView attachment 854271
Also had only played 88 games and had a high of 33 games played in a season at that point.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Before discussing this proposal....

Historically teams trading knoen top 10 picks for established players is usually a panic move. Schneider was done because NJ felt the needed a goalie to get a cup given their vet corr.

Arizona traded 7 for a center from rangers. They felt they needed a center who could play thrn

Pittsburg trading Dtaal was different. He ended his ELC and was 22 . Value was about right and pittsburgh couldnt afford jim

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The only way Nashville trades Saros is if his contract demands are astronomical and unreasonable. And if that's going to be the case, then New Jersey shouldn't want to trade for him either. NJ shouldn't want to pay the price it would take to just rent him for 1 year on his current contract, given the Preds themselves also need him for next year. But also shouldn't want to have him for 9 years with an enormous 8x$8-10M extension loaded up with NTC/NMC clauses. He's just not a realistic option for the Devils.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Problem now I'd he cant talk contract till july 1 on extension. I don't see such a deal happening until extension can be talked.

Reactions: dgibb10

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Problem now I'd he cant talk contract till july 1 on extension. I don't see such a deal happening until extension can be talked.
You really think teams follow the rules? I don't think so.

NJ does this in a heartbeat, I'm not sure if Nashville bites though.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Exactly. The difference between Saros being willing to take 7.5x8 and not settling for anything less than 9x8 is a 12 million dollar difference, and would change how I value him in a trade by a SIGNIFICANT amount.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah I would much rather buy the 25 year old who had excellent numbers in a 1B role and then 1A role with a more control over the 30 year old who, while more established, is coming off a down year and is on the wrong side of the goalie aging curve

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ironically Saros and Schneider have had very similar careers up to this point.

Behind star goalies early, getting into 1B roles and dominating before finally taking over the Starting job in a shortened season in their mid 20s.

Then 3 years of dominance a a starter. into the late 30s.

Schneider fell off at 30 due to injuries and other factors. Hopefully the same doesn't happen to Saros.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
The only way Nashville trades Saros is if his contract demands are astronomical and unreasonable. And if that's going to be the case, then New Jersey shouldn't want to trade for him either. NJ shouldn't want to pay the price it would take to just rent him for 1 year on his current contract, given the Preds themselves also need him for next year. But also shouldn't want to have him for 9 years with an enormous 8x$8-10M extension loaded up with NTC/NMC clauses. He's just not a realistic option for the Devils.

NJ is likely willing to offer a degree of term that Nashville isn’t - because Askarov is more of a sure thing in their future than any of the Devils’ kids are in theirs. Nashville does have a long term plan of Askarov being #1 and they won’t want to have him play backup for 7 more years to get there. If Saros wants to be a starter for the next seven years, that is likelier in New Jersey than it is in Nashville and he knows that.

A lot of Nashville fans seem to assume he’ll happily sign a deal with a team that is already planning to phase him out as he ages. I am unconvinced that’s anything more than cope. He’s a competitor and he would rather be in a situation where he’s the go-to guy indefinitely than one in which the writing is already on the wall about his reduction in prominence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad