Proposal: NJ-MTL

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Congratulations, you googled the definition. That doesn't make your use of the term correct.
Sure buddy.

He claimed that I said that Matheson was a good defensive D and argued against that, when what I actually said was that he’s the best D on the team and plays the most minutes.

He claimed that I said that Holtz and Newhook “are exactly the same” and argued against that talking about stylistic differences and differences in their respective strengths and weaknesses, when what I actually said was that they are (were) similar in age, production, and situation.

Both textbook strawman arguments. You’re welcome for the free lesson. Are you done being embarrassed, or do you want more?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Sure buddy.

He claimed that I said that Matheson was a good defensive D and argued against that, when what I actually said was that he’s the best D on the team and plays the most minutes.

He claimed that I said that Holtz and Newhook “are exactly the same” and argued against that, when what I actually said was that they are (were) similar in age, production, and situation.

Both textbook strawman arguments. You’re welcome for the free lesson. Are you done being embarrassed, or do you want more?
You still don't get it. Enjoy that island all to yourself!

Reactions: viceroy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Explain then smart guy. It’s laid out in plain English. Or are you going to deflect and say it’s not worth your time, despite the fact that you’re in here taking the time out of your day to quote me.
Its not worth anyone's time to argue with your crazy talk.

Take the L and walk away. I am sorry no one liked your ridiculous proposal! lol

Enjoy your evening!

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Its not worth anyone's time to argue with your crazy talk.

Take the L and walk away. I am sorry no one liked your ridiculous proposal! lol
Well, you went off on tangents refuting things I never said. That is unequivocally, undeniably an example of a strawman argument, no matter what our resident phd candidate here might say. It really has nothing to do with the proposal at this point. The guy is now arguing against the very definition of the term 😂.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
MTL receives:

10th overall pick ‘24
LW Alexander Holtz

NJ receives:

LD Kaiden Guhle
~27th overall pick (Jets) ‘24
2nd round pick ‘24

MTL loses a promising young top-4 D, but then takes one of Buium, Silayev, or Dickinson at 5th, and then scoops up whoever they see as the best forward remaining at 10th - likely one of Iginla, Sennecke, Catton, Helenius, or Eiserman.

Or vice versa - they take a forward at 5th if someone they like is there (Demidov or Lindstrom), and take the best remaining D (most likely Yakemchuk or Parekh). They also acquire a young struggling winger who could use a change of scenery.

NJ bolsters their blueline for years with a young defensive minded top-4 D who can slot in and eat up heavy minutes immediately, stays in the first round this year, and gets back into the 2nd round this year as well.

If MTL wants back into the 2nd round, they can try to package both their 3rds to a team willing to trade down.

Thoughts? Who says no?
Wtf is this? Romanov got traded for the 13th and was half the D, plus throw in a 1st and Montréal's top young D? Really.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Doubt it. If he's going to succeed, it's probably not going to be with new Jersey.

Any success he'd have elsewhere isn't necessarily 1:1 with what he'd do for the devils
There is an available slot as a top 6 LW. If your expectation is a star winger sure, but a quality sniper making 900k, and then cheap deal for 4 RFA years is something you need to build a healthy cap structure. Give him next year in that role, let him cook. If things don't go well, then you move on and look to replace with Clarke or Gritysuk in that offensive role. We don't have the cap to bring in a high priced UFA winger.

Zucker, Toffoli, Hoffman, Tarasenko types. Teams do need them.

And he has shown he can snipe. He already does his strength EXCELLENTLY at the NHL level. And that does provide value.

If his price rn is a 2nd, who cares if it drops to a 3rd. The risk/reward strongly suggests keeping him. a 900k rental winger for the difference between a 2nd and 3rd is still a steal.

If it's a late 1st, again imo the value of a rental and upside is worth more than whatever his value will diminish by when he's an RFA.

We start getting into the teens, or a piece that helps us now and into the future, and that looks different in my eyes.

Who would you replace holtz with to fill that top 6 role? And if it's a higher priced player, what sacrifices are you making to other parts of the roster?

Reactions: TBF1972

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Doubt it. If he's going to succeed, it's probably not going to be with new Jersey.

Any success he'd have elsewhere isn't necessarily 1:1 with what he'd do for the devils
To sum up my thought process.

Whatever his value is now, it doesn't matter to me. I do not think it will drop off enough with 1 more struggling year, combined with the probability I see of that year occuring, to be worth the value he can have to NJD next year, the upside now and into the future.

Unless we are talking about pieces that will make meaningful impacts for us at cost control, or a certain point where the value is good enough to flip into a piece like that (pick in the teens)

Retained Markstrom, Ullmark, M Pettersson, Fehevary, etc types like those I would put Holtz on the table (I'd rather put the 25 1st up instead tho).

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Wtf is this? Romanov got traded for the 13th and was half the D, plus throw in a 1st and Montréal's top young D? Really.
Hmm that’s funny because just the other day these same Habs fans were telling me that Romanov at the time of the trade was every bit as good as Guhle is right now. Funny how “the facts” seem to change with whatever narrative they’re trying to push.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Hmm that’s funny because just the other day these same Habs fans were telling me that Romanov at the time of the trade was every bit as good as Guhle is right now. Funny how “the facts” seem to change with whatever narrative they’re trying to push.
Zero truth to that. He could hit and play some D. That's about it. Zero offense.

I'm starting to think based on previous posts you're definitely a troll. One who lives off of spewing garbage just like your username.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
MTL receives:

10th overall pick ‘24
LW Alexander Holtz

NJ receives:

LD Kaiden Guhle
2nd round pick ‘24

MTL loses a promising young top-4 D, but then takes one of Buium, Silayev, or Dickinson at 5th, and then scoops up whoever they see as the best forward remaining at 10th - likely one of Iginla, Sennecke, Catton, Helenius, or Eiserman.

Or vice versa - they take a forward at 5th if someone they like is there (Demidov or Lindstrom), and take the best remaining D (most likely Yakemchuk or Parekh). They also acquire a young struggling winger who could use a change of scenery.

NJ bolsters their blueline for years with a young defensive minded top-4 D who can slot in and eat up heavy minutes immediately, stays in the first round this year, and gets back into the 2nd round this year as well.

If MTL wants back into the 2nd round, they can try to package both their 3rds to a team willing to trade down.

Thoughts? Who says no?
Like the 10th but Habs can't move Guhle. We move Guhle draft similar player who's not ready for 3 years. No sense doing it.

Holtz we don't want, too soft. Doesn't fit our culture.

Montreal really high on Sennecke. He should be there at 10. Habs counter offer with Jets pick and Struble or Harris. Devils choice?

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Guhle is a top 2 defenseman and only available for a young top 3 center.

Certainly not for a 10th rounder. Nor for some other "fill the gap" nonsense.

Don't like it, move along.

• Haha
Reactions: TBF1972

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Like the 10th but Habs can't move Guhle. We move Guhle draft similar player who's not ready for 3 years. No sense doing it.

Montreal really high on Sennecke. He should be there at 10. Habs counter offer with Jets pick and Struble or Harris. Devils choice?
Habs will not trade Guhle but no way NJ trade their 10th for a late first and Struble/Harris. Those guys have probably little value like a 3rd/4th. You will need a better player if you want that pick

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

If Dickinson is there at 10 we just take him, he's pretty close to being ready to play problem solved

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
MTL receives:

10th overall pick ‘24
LW Alexander Holtz

NJ receives:

LD Kaiden Guhle
2nd round pick ‘24

Thoughts? Who says no?
hey it's the Drouin for Segachev trade, but wearing lipstick and somehow even shittier

Reactions: viceroy

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I am not commenting either way on the trade proposal, but the Holtz hate is wild.

Dude scored 16 goals playing 10 minutes a night (with basically no PP time) on a bad team in his first full season. I'm not saying he is ever going to be some All-star player, but I could absolutely see him having a Tyler Toffoli-esque career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad