Post-Game Talk: NJ drops another one in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I still think the D would be 'far' better if you traded one of them and went with a set six-man rotation and ended the stupid merry-go-round (which has already probably cost us too many games). Of course at this point Harrold's too good to be relegated to the #7 role and not play at all, but with all the other guys that need a cane on the defense he'll get in sooner or later. Hell, some of the young guys look like they need canes after the way Larsson got blown by on the empty-netter.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
To be fair how much can we really blame the offense tonight? 3 goals should get you at least a point most nights.

Plus when no one plays D and you goalie is off and you bury yourself into that deep a hole.

Not saying it was good mind you but I liked the effort in the attempted come back just to deep a hole.

This one is all on D and Moose. TG said it best. The team left Moose out to dry but at the same time Moose didn't help himself or the team either.

And I agree it's not all Marty being out but it's a lot of it. Moose can't handle this condensed workload by himself and he is shot right now because of it.

Plus Marty is better able to lift the team when we are slumping because he is Marty. His puck handling alone relieves so much pressure on the D alone.

Whole situation sucks but the talent is there and I don't think we should call the season dead yet. We can get in and once in we know anything can happen.

the majority of the scoring came when the game was out of reach. i know jrkdevil mentioned this in the kovy thread, but i'll bring it up here. the offense has to be better in order to relieve pressure on the defense. this defense is not lemaire like anymore, and it wasn't last year either. the consistent forecheck played a critical part in not exposing the d last season.
since the offensive game has literally gone to ****...it has been downhill fast for every part of the team's game.

zajac, clarkson, poni have been so bad i don't even know where to begin.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Moose shouldn't be playing 6 games in 8 nights or whatever it is, period. I wouldn't want Marty to do it, I didn't want Marty to be doing by 09/10 when he still was, and I don't want Moose doing it now. The only way I can justify Moose doing it is if Marty will be back Wednesday for sure. When Marty gets back we have to hope we don't see a rusty goaltender, which Marty tends to look like when coming off a long layoff. Though he's looked fantastic to start the season for the first time in I don't remember. Which was his longest offseason since the 04/05 lockout that took out the whole season. Though only a month longer than last season.

This was just the worst defensive game we've played all year. Maybe I said that about another game recently, and I probably did. Though this one tops it. The coverage on Semin on the PK was a joke. It was as bad as Hamonic's PP goal on opening night. I don't blame Moose for this, and I'm pretty sure the first 3 goals he really had no chance on. Though getting Frazee in there might be a wake up call to get this team to give a better effort that's more acceptable in front of Frazee, than the one they gave in front of Moose tonight.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Forecheck is not perfect but still there, they're close to constantly outshot their opponent. They need to finish their job though and score early and a lot.

Only The Wild has scored less goals than us in the 1st period so far this season and it's just about 1 goal difference.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins: 30 goals scored in the 1st period.
29. New Jersey Devils: 12 goals in the 1st.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Moose shouldn't be playing 6 games in 8 nights or whatever it is, period. I wouldn't want Marty to do it, I didn't want Marty to be doing by 09/10 when he still was, and I don't want Moose doing it now. The only way I can justify Moose doing it is if Marty will be back Wednesday for sure. When Marty gets back we have to hope we don't see a rusty goaltender, which Marty tends to look like when coming off a long layoff. Though he's looked fantastic to start the season for the first time in I don't remember. Which was his longest offseason since the 04/05 lockout that took out the whole season. Though only a month longer than last season.

This was just the worst defensive game we've played all year. Maybe I said that about another game recently, and I probably did. Though this one tops it. The coverage on Semin on the PK was a joke. It was as bad as Hamonic's PP goal on opening night. I don't blame Moose for this, and I'm pretty sure the first 3 goals he really had no chance on. Though getting Frazee in there might be a wake up call to get this team to give a better effort that's more acceptable in front of Frazee, than the one they gave in front of Moose tonight.

Agreed and Iirc it's only the 4th goal were he made a mistake but still it was a tiny rebound and absolutely nobody was around the crease to give him some support.

He was literally left hung out to dry. I had no problem with Moose tonight.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We must have scored a goal in the 1st period the last time against the Jets at home 2 weeks ago. That had to be the last time.

Another problem too that I pointed out. This was the first time in 3 games we scored an even strength goal, and the first time in 4 games a forward scored an even strength goal.

Since Loktionov's (I think?) tying goal against Buffalo last weekeend in Buffalo. we got 2 even strength goals from Zidlicky against Toronto. Then we got a shorty and a PP against TB. And then a PP and a 6 on 5 with the goalie pulled against Buffalo.

engy

Mar 12, 2012
Pete's quote that he pulled Hedberg to save up his energy for back to back games is hilarious.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didn't expect him to say anything less. I don't think I posted it on here, but as soon as I saw Frazee I was saying it. That this is an 09/10 ''Lemaire pulls Marty and puts Yann Danis in once the game gets out of reach, but then announces in the post game that Marty will be back in tomorrow night'' move.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Moose was bad today, but I wouldnt blame the loss on him like we did the past few games. Overall poor effort.

Goals 1-3 no chance really. Goal 4 and 5 bleh. I'm not sure goaltending has particularly cost us wins during this streatch. Marty could have stolen one or two if he was on. However goaltending may have very well cost us points and OT losses. It would have been up to the team to win those in OT or the shootout past that point.

However the team didn't look like they were gonna come back to score 2 more goals in the 3rd. That PK breakdown on Semin's goal was pathetic. Just straight up pathetic. All 4 skaters should be embarrassed by that. Zajac particularly if I remember correctly.

DatBoyJPP

Good Night
Jul 30, 2009
Blairstown
This team is playing with no confidence and the deflating goals aren't helping. I wouldn't be surprised if everything changes with a goalie switch whether it be Marty or they let a rookie play a game or two

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This team is playing with no confidence and the deflating goals aren't helping. I wouldn't be surprised if everything changes with a goalie switch whether it be Marty or they let a rookie play a game or two

When does a rookie play? When Moose gets pulled after 5 goals in 2 straight games? I still won't believe it. One thing that does annoy me with Deboer is his usage of young talent. It's not like he's the only coach like this, but I don't like it. Larsson getting benched, and not starting the other guys in net. I have a bad feeling this won't be Marty's week either. He's still got a little while before getting back is my gut feeling. I think Chico may have given away the ''Pinched nerve'' thing on air on accident. Moose can't be relied upon for these 6 in 8's, or 3 in 4's.

I'm sure Larsson will be sitting, and the captain who we missed desperately tonight will come, and save us tomorrow! How do you justify continuing to play Hedberg like he's Marty Brodeur pre 2010? He gives us a better chance to win? WHAT? REALLY? Maybe it's a coincidence, but the 55 or so minutes with a first timer in goal the last 2 of 3 games may have been the best the team's played in this stretch. We scored 4 goals in those 55 minutes. We haven't scored 4 goals in a 60 minute game in over 3 weeks now.

Semak

Marty could have stolen one or two if he was on. However goaltending may have very well cost us points and OT losses.

My thinking exactly. It's not that Moose is playing terrible, is that he's mediocre and not giving the team at least 2 or 3 great saves where the can actually have a 50/50 chance to get at least 1 point. The team is to blame for allowing the first goal (in what 9 games in a row is it?) but Moose isn't helping. The guy is a brilliant back up but not a workhorse starter.

This is what I'm begging Pete for but the guy won't budge. Incredibly frustrating.

I shut the game off at 5-1 and started season 2 of The Walking Dead. Then hit me,"I was just watching this". :laugh:

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
When does a rookie play? When Moose gets pulled after 5 goals in 2 straight games? I still won't believe it. One thing that does annoy me with Deboer is his usage of young talent. It's not like he's the only coach like this, but I don't like it. Larsson getting benched, and not starting the other guys in net. I have a bad feeling this won't be Marty's week either. He's still got a little while before getting back is my gut feeling. I think Chico may have given away the ''Pinched nerve'' thing on air on accident. Moose can't be relied upon for these 6 in 8's, or 3 in 4's.

I'm sure Larsson will be sitting, and the captain who we missed desperately tonight will come, and save us tomorrow! How do you justify continuing to play Hedberg like he's Marty Brodeur pre 2010? He gives us a better chance to win? WHAT? REALLY? Maybe it's a coincidence, but the 55 or so minutes with a first timer in goal the last 2 of 3 games may have been the best the team's played in this stretch. We scored 4 goals in those 55 minutes. We haven't scored 4 goals in a 60 minute game in over 3 weeks now.
i wonder if marty comes back, does deboer just keep playing him the way he has w/hedberg?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If this were still a ''Slump'' or the team was really jekyll and hyding it, I would have turned the game off at 5-1. The fact that I'm used to it I'm not. It seems almost every game the Devils are getting their arses kicked. So there literally hasn't been much time to not watch them while they aren't getting pounded.:laugh:

Kinkaid played 26 minutes the other night? Frazee played about 18 or 19 tonight? In those approximately 55 minutes that we've had first timers in net we've scored 4 goals. We haven't scored 4 goals in a 55 minute span since the Philly game which was over 3 weeks ago. Now it wasn't a true 55 minute span cause it wasn't consecutive. I really believe though that this could be the spark. I could be dead wrong, but what do we have to lose? A current spot in the top 8? We may very well lose it anyway with Moose being played like Marty Brodeur pre 2010.

i wonder if marty comes back, does deboer just keep playing him the way he has w/hedberg?
God I hope not. I don't want it for either one of them. However I wouldn't be opposed to playing Marty in a back to back by shaking some rust off. None of this 3 games in 4 nights crap though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lindy Ruff sure would look good behind the bench.

I wouldn't go that far BUT! Let's just say I've become soured with Pete for the same reasons you have. He'll play Jacob Josefson with Kovy on the 1st line, and has tried countless things when they don't work. Kovy on the left wing, or not on the PP point isn't even a last ditch effort with him. It's a not under any circumstances condition. Until I see differently neither is starting a rookie goaltender.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I wouldn't go that far BUT! Let's just say I've become soured with Pete for the same reasons you have. He'll play Jacob Josefson with Kovy on the 1st line, and has tried countless things when they don't work. Kovy on the left wing, or not on the PP point isn't even a last ditch effort with him. It's a not under any circumstances condition. Until I see differently neither is starting a rookie goaltender.

Its gotten to the point where I'm desperate for someone to make smart coaching decisions for this team. There are so many problems with Pete - he won't bench Hedberg, he ruined our top scorer by playing him too much and by refusing to let him play his natural position. DeBoer coached this team to the Stanley Cup Finals last year, but the personnel he has this year isn't the same and he has yet to make an adjustment. Something needs to change fast, either Pete rethinks some of his decisions or Lou does it for him

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Its gotten to the point where I'm desperate for someone to make smart coaching decisions for this team. There are so many problems with Pete - he won't bench Hedberg, he ruined our top scorer by playing him too much and by refusing to let him play his natural position. DeBoer coached this team to the Stanley Cup Finals last year, but the personnel he has this year isn't the same and he has yet to make an adjustment. Something needs to change fast, either Pete rethinks some of his decisions or Lou does it for him

I know people say Lou doesn't control the coach, and I guarantee he doesn't. Though I don't know why Lou wouldn't pull him aside and say ''Look it wouldn't hurt to give Jeff a start'' And both of them I'm sure know Marty's condition right now, and approximately how long until he's back in. I mean we've kept Frazee around for 8 ****in years now! He's up right now in the AHL when many people wanted Wedgewood up there. We're keeping him around to act as our 39 year old backup's backup? To come off the bench for one period and make 3 saves?

Volchenkovs Face

Oct 10, 2010
The first goal, that is what the 10th time someone has been left all alone in the slot because everyone went to the corner? Just being sloppy in the defensive zone.

Also, the rushes. When ever the Devils attack its usually a 2 on 3, and when they defend its a 3 on 2. Or at least that's how it feels watching.

This:
6gfKgIn.png

vs

That:
UrcOYGi.png

Other teams third guy is rarely ever behind the play like the Devil's third man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad