Niskanen and Orpik

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Pretty much nothing Pens fans said about Orpik has come true. The guy has been physical, positionally sound, and come up big in big moments. He's a huge part of why the Caps are one of the best teams in the NHL in terms of winning the game after scoring first.

Niskanen has been solid although not as noticeable because Orpik is a punisher. "Not as noticeable" is not always a bad thing for a defenseman. Niskanen's shot has not been as good as advertised but his defensive play has been better than advertised.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Pretty much nothing Pens fans said about Orpik has come true. The guy has been physical, positionally sound, and come up big in big moments. He's a huge part of why the Caps are one of the best teams in the NHL in terms of winning the game after scoring first.

Niskanen has been solid although not as noticeable because Orpik is a punisher. "Not as noticeable" is not always a bad thing for a defenseman. Niskanen's shot has not been as good as advertised but his defensive play has been better than advertised.

Niskanen strikes me more as what we hope Alzner to be, rather than the Green replacement we thought he was. Funny to me because when he was in Dallas his physicality stood out, and then vanished in Pittsburgh, and we came back around to getting the Dallas version.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I'm happy with both. Expensive yes but they have contributed mightily to this team. We'd be in trouble without those guys.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Both seem to be no-nonsense type guys who tell it how it is and aren't afraid to speak up. Thats how they come across to me at least.

You can never have enough of those kinds. We really didn't have that on D either in addition to the vet physical presence both provide.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Have I mentioned how much of a monster I think Orpik is? I don't think we are talking about this guy and what he's meant enough.

We finally have replaced Tinordi. Only took 16 years.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Without reading that thread I'm pretty sure I'm in there as hating the trade. I did hate it when it was announced. Orpik could barely skate last year. I underestimated the injuries and just thought he as done. As I thought more about it, I figured we had to do something on the blue line and that the sum of the parts on defense would be greater the pieces themselves. That part I had right. Orpik and Niskanen have been fantastic.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
It just goes to show you how players can be rejuvenated with a change of atmosphere.

I'm curious if this is a second wind or just an adrenaline rush for him though...

I'd say he needs to play for at least 3 good years to make his contract tolerable.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm curious if this is a second wind or just an adrenaline rush for him though...

I'd say he needs to play for at least 3 good years to make his contract tolerable.

If the Caps win the cup this year, he can retire on the job starting next year if he wants to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad