Niskanen and Orpik

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I don't regularly follow the Capitals but I really like your team (mainly due to Ovechkin but whatever) so I am happy to hear that the season's doing well. I'm curious about the performance of two of your recent acquisitions.

A lot of fans made fun of the decision of the Capitals to bring in Niskanen and Orpik in the off-season, do Caps fans feel they are both worth their contracts?

OVs Gold Chain*

Niskanen - love.
Orpik - Meh.

I like what Orpik brings from a physical standpoint, and he's played a number of really solid games, but he is what he is. Will make the odd boneheaded play that puts him way out of position and hangs his partner out to dry. That contract will inevitably suck in a few years. He gets a lot of love from the other players as far as his personality & what he brings to the locker room.

Niskanen is exactly the kind of player we needed to shore up the defense. Reminds me of Alzner with his stick-work, if the Caps end up letting Green walk I think we'll get to see more of his offensive game. Just a steady player you can almost always count on to be in position and make the right play. Has even laid a couple big hits.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
The results so far are better than either player but also better than their contracts. So, even if it's just temporary magic, I don't care.

Niskanen is a pretty average 2nd pair dman. Orpik is a pretty average stay at home dman. Sprinkle them into this team with Trotz/Rierdan and we've got IMO one of the best defensive units in the league.

I don't know if I'd say that they're worth their contracts, but I'd certainly say that it has been worth signing them. For now at least.

If Orpik has anything to do with Carlson turning into a top 30 (or maybe much better) dman, then that's added bonus.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
they are both doing exactly what they were hired to do. Niskanen is solid in every phase of the game and is really expected to be reliable. he is.

Orpik was hired to bring a certain identity to the team. The team has taken on that identity. Orpik is among the league leaders in hits and blocked shots. Between him and Wilson the Caps are now a team opposing teams don't look forward to.

Look at Carlson. That is a reflection of Orpik. Same with Ovechkin. Same with Backstrom for different reasons.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
they are both doing exactly what they were hired to do. Niskanen is solid in every phase of the game and is really expected to be reliable. he is.

Orpik was hired to bring a certain identity to the team. The team has taken on that identity. Orpik is among the league leaders in hits and blocked shots. Between him and Wilson the Caps are now a team opposing teams don't look forward to.

Look at Carlson. That is a reflection of Orpik. Same with Ovechkin. Same with Backstrom for different reasons.

I believe it was Rierdan who, when speaking about Orpik and what he brings, said that when the other D have a bad shift they come off and feel like they have let him down....that he has come in and really made a difference in the room as well as on the ice

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this is why any talk of getting a different defenseman on the ufa market is a waste of time. it was this particular man that they wanted.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Niskanen hasn't brought nearly the offensive punch I imagined. He whiffs on way too many slap shots and rarely ever gets a wrist shot through. Orpik is solid defensively. About what I expected.

When you take into account they replaced guys like Carrick and Erskine, they have both REALLY helped.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Like Orpik but worry about his age. He doesn't have the jump he should in BB games. Age. Still a great D-man.

Niskanen is just "okay" for the money and sometimes less than "okay" for the money.Too many whiffs, too many penalties but still better than Carlson overall. Carlson is a better shot, much better, but I think Niskanen is a better match for Orpik.

A $15.00 cold Coke tastes great on a hot day - when you've no other choice, it's worth every penny when you're desperate.

leova

Feb 28, 2008
absolutely the best 2 moves the Management has made in a LONG time!

we literally signed a #2 and a #3 dman away from one of the best teams in the league

fantastic signings, great players

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Look at what injuries did to our bottom pair. Hill and Schill. Can you imagine what this defense would look like without Orpik and Niskanen on top of that? What the team in general would look like?

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
#2 and a #3 dman away from one of the best teams in the league

Pitts -was, was ---one of the best teams in the league. They fired the coach and traded everybody but Crosby,Malkin and Fleury because they were not one of the "best" teams.

Anway. Orpik was a good but expensive signing. Good players always are.

Niskanen is an expensive 2nd pair signing. Is he worth it? I thought he was but I'm not so sure anymore. He could be the best D-Man in hockey lore....but right now he's a 2nd pairing D-man that needs some improvement.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Pitts -was, was ---one of the best teams in the league. They fired the coach and traded everybody but Crosby,Malkin and Fleury because they were not one of the "best" teams.

Anway. Orpik was a good but expensive signing. Good players always are.

Niskanen is an expensive 2nd pair signing. Is he worth it? I thought he was but I'm not so sure anymore. He could be the best D-Man in hockey lore....but right now he's a 2nd pairing D-man that needs some improvement.

Niskanen makes $250k more than ennis Wi eman. He's well worth his contract.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
They've been good. Orpik's a likely ticking time bomb, but I'll say that at present, he's playing better than I feared. His skating is good enough, and he makes pretty good moves/decisions with the puck. And not out of position too often. The physicality is obviously great.

A very important side effect -- they've made Green expendable. Not clear if that'll come to pass, but at least it's a clear possibility. And that, going forward, can make up for a significant chunk of their big salaries.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
250k more than ennis Wi eman.

Wideman can shoot as well as Green and is a good skater ...but fair point.

they've made Green expendable.

Green is like "The girl with the golden curl .....when she's good she's very good and when she's bad she's horrid."

Look, I don't dislike Niskanen. But when you sign big deals for big cash people expect big performance - and should. Niskanen has gone through a rough patch that lasted long enough to be called a - pattern of behavior.

Evander Kane, M. Richards -among others -are competent NHL'ers whose "patern of behavior" was noticed.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Who should we targeted back then instead of Nisky? Anton Stralman?

--> http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca
this says Niskanen is more top pair man!

How can one argue with that?!

EDIT: Niskanen is top-60 dman scoring wise. And is a plus player.

Also, found an interesting player in the points chart. Aaron Ekblad. He's got to be a promising young man.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Brooks Orpik is a beast.

He's like Tinordi that skates better but doesn't fight yet still delivers absurdly hard hits and from all accounts he is an authoritative locker room presence.

Like Tinordi ..when a player turns his back on him along the boards he doesn't give a dman. He crushes that guy and that is never a penalty. We haven't had a Dman who does that since...well...Tinordi!

Alan May and Koken were speaking on the Comcast TDL recap show about how surprisingly physical Niskanen is.

I know guys like Ehrhoff, Fayne and Stralman were coveted on here but it does seem we got the right guys who have the right fit with what we are trying to do.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Mad props to Orpik for being our only defensemen not afraid to take a penalty with 5 seconds left battling like a boss in our crease. When I say not afraid, I mean smart enough.

And hats off to Niskanen for quickly becoming our 2nd best hitter on D. Of course, he doesn't have any real competition, but its much better than nothing.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I love how Orpik simply eliminates his man and finishes his checks. He takes guys out of the play thus creating space for our other guys to clear the zone. Rarely do you see his mark jump back to go chase the puck since he pins them so well.

Langway was the master of that. He simply brought most cycles to a dead stop by muscling up an opposing player and making sure he couldn't go anywhere and cause havok.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
They've stabilized the defensive corps for the first time in a decade+, and have contributed significantly to the development of Alzner, and especially Carlson.

Worth every penny at this point.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Orpik has been about what I expected which is exactly what the Caps needed.

Niks has been better than I expected and is more physical than I recalled.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Niskanen has met expectations and Orpik has exceeded them. I'd say Orpik is maybe only slightly off his best years in Pittsburgh. The stability factor can't be understated.

A few good years out of these two will lock-down the Caps D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad